PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Maintain You Car?

HondaBoy
12-11-2004, 06:44 PM
well, i'm ashamed to say i let my oil ride for about 7000 miles. i decided not to be a lazy ass today and got my oil changed. this got me to thinking how often y'all other memebers changed oil and other stuff on you car. most often i would change the oil at 3000-3500 miles, this time was just an exception. the fuel filters i usually change when i see them getting dirty or around 12000 miles. so sometimes its sooner. my oil filter gets changed each time i change the oil. i'll change the plugs every 3 to 4 oil changes. air filter i dont really keep track of the mileage, i just look at it and see if its nice and white or not. if not i'll put a new one on. its dusty around here and humid so the filters get dirty more quickly than some places i suppose. tranny fliud i've only changed once (drained and refilled). i will probley do that a few more times since it was really nasty last i changed it. i'd like to keep my 3gee running for a good while, so i dont guess doing the maintenance is bad. cant ever hurt. so how often do you do some of these things? maybe other things you to to maintain your car? oh, also i do all of the stuff myself since its pretty easy, dont wanna spend money on a mechanic. and do y'all do the stuff yourself?

nswst8
12-11-2004, 07:09 PM
I drive to pick up my oldest from school which is a 112 from my door to the school. And then back home before I get on the road I pop the hood and check the oil, P/S, Belts, and coolant, tire pressure. My ride has over 200,000 and although I have 100% confidence in her reliability to get me there and back I just like to keep up on the little things so the big things don't surprise.
Every 3000-3500 miles oil change, manual tranny drain and refill about every third oil change, yearly drain and refill coolant.

I really try to take notice of the performance, Then I'm constantly messing around with the cars that I seem to catch things quickly.

Its my goal to keep this ride around as long as I am. :thumbup:

88accordhb
12-11-2004, 07:18 PM
fridays, i wash my cars and check oil (drippin on the oil pan nut) coolant and psi in my tires, but been lazy lately.

Neuspeed87lx
12-11-2004, 07:31 PM
i change my oil and oil filter every 1500 miles in every car i have .... (i work in a shop)... i do coolant flushes every 6 months or so ... change the fuel filters yearly, plugs once and a while... rotate tires every oil change...i do fuel injection cleaning probally once every 6 months...change the air filter when it gets dirty... change the manual tranny fluid every 30,000 miles... my cars are very well maintained .... its nice to work in a shop .... i beat the shit out of all my cars and never have any major problems...

Busted_Blue
12-11-2004, 08:24 PM
I change my oil every 7000miles with oem honda filter (dunno if it makes a difference or not.) Change my MTF about every 5 oil changes. I clean my K N air filter once it gets dirty. Keep up with the regular maintenance so it should be good. Usually when somehting is wrong, it will be fixed either the next day or week. I rotate my tires rarely since I have falkens. I ran then to 6/32 in the front and 7/32 before i rotated (only 4 months lol)

love my car but its as old as my bro, so maybe its time for a new honda. The new accord hybrids just came in yesterday at work...excellent.

Wash my car every week (working at honda dealer gives me access to detail room.)

jigga225
12-11-2004, 10:30 PM
man i haven't changed oil in a while(3000+ miles).... all of it blows up through the crankcase as vapor and collects in my air breather (carbed). so i have a towel in there to catch it.

so i just put new oil in it... around 1/2 qt a week. I figure the oil doesn't even have a chance to get that dirty.......

MIK3
12-11-2004, 10:47 PM
I change my oil every 3 months. So about every 1300 miles or so...heh.

Dr._8t9LX
12-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Wash every week
Change Oil with whole engine whenever the engine blows :), ok really every 5,000 miles
Air filter and Plugs every 12,000

I check over everything else before long haul drives

About once a month I detail it real clean.

I found this RainX wipe on wax, goes on wet or dry and it repels water/road grime. Then I can just hose the car off and shammy wipe down everyweek. Dirty just hoses off! Works great so I use when I detail.

Also found this Stoners Trim Spray that restores plastic trim. It works great on mud flaps, side trim, rubber around windows, black plastic venting under front window, engine plastic, badges on back, and plastic around rear liscence plate. Turns old frosted white plastic back to deep black!!

RainX on windows, Armorall on tires, Red paint on Suspension upgrades :)

POS carb
12-13-2004, 02:33 PM
my oil ALWAYS comes out black enough to paint tires
I dunno why, maybe it's bacuase it has so many miles, but the shit is rediculous.

my maintenece consists of washing, replacing broken/missing parts, experimenting with parts from other cars, and playing w/ the carb.. I usually don't replace something until like a month after it breaks. My new years resolution is an engine and suspension rebuild before the end of January.

k-roy
12-13-2004, 04:50 PM
3,000 miles on the dot oil changes
Clean air filter every month
wash once or sometimes twice a week
check tire pressures and wash windows every other day
antifreeze once in the spring and once in the fall
transmission oil once a year
greese chassis 3 or 4 times a year
spark plugs once or twice a year
clean/shine up inside every week or two
vacuum twice a month
Wax 3 or 4 times a year
Flush Brake fluid once a year
Constant tweeking

Yea I may be anal but I like having a good running car

IDTrav
12-13-2004, 04:59 PM
everything kroy said + an engine bath every season :thumbup:

Neuspeed87lx
12-13-2004, 06:58 PM
man i haven't changed oil in a while(3000+ miles).... all of it blows up through the crankcase as vapor and collects in my air breather (carbed). so i have a towel in there to catch it.

so i just put new oil in it... around 1/2 qt a week. I figure the oil doesn't even have a chance to get that dirty.......

sounds like you have some serious blowby there

Oldblueaccord
12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
LOF 3000 miles 10/40 summer 10/30 winter I use Havoline Oil over sized Puralotor oil filter

Plugs every year wires with cap a rotor so thats like 20k maybe less

Brakes pads /rotors every year usually early spring before Rt.129/ Dragons den opens

Tires every year or less Falkens dont last to long so 2 sets this year.

Brake fluid i use a turkey baster and change out the fluid in the MC I use Castrol GTlma

Tranny about once year 10/30 Mobil One syncros arnt so good making it last

K+N filter cone clean when it looks dirty

Timing belt about 100k prolly less if I think its stretched

Its an old car so I am always poking around under it.

wp

According2Me
12-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Change the oil??? What for???? j/k...
oil change every 2000-3000
I got one of those new Fram AirHog's...nice throaty sound from carb!!!
I havent had this car long enough to do anything else.....

Oh wait!!!! Living in the salted street capitol of the world...
Bondo 'ed up every 5000 miles lol

jigga225
12-15-2004, 09:33 PM
sounds like you have some serious blowby there
yah, i think its the rings goin south....

HondaBoy
12-15-2004, 09:37 PM
well reading through y'alls posts, there's some things in there i'll probley start doing more often. as for washing my car, i will usually do it once a week if im feeling well. sometimes i've let it go for 3 or 4 weeks. as i see it, a clean car is a happy car. usually. hope this isnt it, of all the people that keep their cars up. i know there's gotta be more of y'all doing stuff. lol.