PDA

View Full Version : amp question

mag_pbg
12-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Im kinda new to car audio, well not really but my system got stolen, so I have to buy a new one, only this time im going to do it right, I plan on buying either 2 JL w3 or 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L5's, the only thing is that I don't know what ohms I should get them in, Ebay has the JL's but are rated at either 2 or 4 ohm and etronics has the Kickers at the same, I want really hard hiting bass, so what ohm rating should I get a amp in¿

Magny
12-11-2004, 11:56 PM
the lower the ohms the higher the power able to run through your system, so in otherwords, harder bass. but there are a few other factors for getting the bass you want. but since you are only asking about the ohmage, the lower the better. 2 is better than 4 and so on. but when you go that way, best way to get best performance is get an amp rated for the ohmage you are using. but remember putting 2 2 ohms speakers in parallel will give you 1ohm, do it in series will give you 4 ohms. so 1 is better than 4, but if you go with 1 ohm, you need to get an amp rated to cover the 1 ohm or you will see your amp shutting down because of the thermal overload protection switch throwin itself. if you do it in series, you can get any amp that does more than the 4 ohms. so any amp listed to give out 4, 3, 2, or 1 ohm will work. But if anything, it is best to go with whatever the ohmage is when yo wire up the subs.

mag_pbg
12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Ok so say I get the solo's at 2 ohms per voice coil, wire them parellel and I could run a amp rated at 4 ohms¿

Moodybluesr
12-12-2004, 12:22 AM
"Ohmage" is not a word. :D The term is "resistance." And lower resistance is not better in every situation. The key is to match your sub setup to your amp(s).
If you are running a mono amp, all you have to worry about is the lowest resistance that the amp is stable. For example, if the amp is stable down to 2 ohms, you want to get a sub setup that matches this rating in order to get the best performance from your amp. If you were running one sub, you would want a SVC 2 ohm sub or a DVC sub with either 1 or 4 ohm voice coils (so that they could be wired in series or parallel, respectively, to give you a single 2 ohm load). Running two (or more) subs gets a bit more complex, but the key is that you want to end up with a single two ohm load to be driven by your amp.
If you use a two channel amp, you probably want to make sure it is bridgable, as this is ususally the most efficient way to get power from it. You will then want to bridge the amp into a single channel and the above rules will apply (although most bridged two channel amps aren't stable past about 4 ohms, Orion practices not withstanding).
And if you can't get a handle on Ohm's theory you are probably better of asking someone who knows to hook your shit up so that you don't end up blowing out expensive equipment. :D