PDA

View Full Version : frequency

troutz15
12-12-2004, 03:51 PM
i have a sony xplod head unit with 20-20,000hz cd frequency response. i have 2 pioneer 12inch subs with 18-2,500hz response, dual voil coils wired to a boss amp with 15-250hz frequency response. so the the amp and subs are are good together. im still looking for a good 1000-watt 4 channel amp, or two 2-channel 500-watt amps. these are gonna be for the pioneer component sets. those pioneers go from 25hz to 32,000hz. im still lookin for an amp that can provide that frquency range. but my problem is my speakers have all the range i want but the head unit doesnt. so when i wire all this shit up, will i lose the 12,000hz upward of the head units 20,000hz when i wire it to the 32,000hz component sets? and what are some good 2 or 4 channel amps?

POS carb
12-13-2004, 07:10 AM
you won't hear 32kHz
a lot of times those coax speakers that are sold have those POS quartz drivers that's the same shit that makes the beep and alarm sounds in wristwatches, they don't even use a crossover/filter, they just make noise when electricity is applied to them and that's usually why the frequency is rated so high. I doub't any speaker other than a really good 1/2" tweeter or a ribbon driver will ever go that high, also if you head unit only really gets 20-20k then everything else you hook up to it will only get that range

I think manufacturers tend to BS a lot more these days about the performance of their units.

My favorite sounding amp I have owned was an Infinity Kappa 5 channel amp that put out 50x4 plus 200x1 or 75x4 plus 300x1. It has a green cover on the top where all the controls are, I don't think they make it anymore. The subwoofer section was class D with a variable subsonic filter slash bass boost that basically let you adjust the bass bost at the cutoff frequency, really good for ported box setups

Ludi Mali
12-14-2004, 02:31 PM
eventhough you don't hear frequencies above 20khz they still have a harmonic effect on the frequencies you do hear. Thats why live music always sounds better than recorded music. but like you said, if the HU doesn't put out anything over 20khz it doesn't matter if your components or amps can go above that. Actually, i think on most modern recordings they clip those frequencies anyways, so the HU doesn't even matter.

According2Me
12-14-2004, 05:00 PM
First of all....get rid of the Sony Xplod HU....trust me...you will notice a HUGE frickin difference just by doing that. It isn't the watts of the head unit, or the frequency responce on the highs...it is the VOLTAGE OUTPUT. this is the actual signal to the amp, and highs. Your Sony is top of the line Xplod if it has 1.5V output. Now, an Alpine, or Eclipse, or even decent JVC or Panasonic have at LEAST 4V out. This leads to insane bass responce, crystal clear highs(even off HU power, let alone amped) and cooler system temps. due to more efficient power production. But, the one thread is right about the quartz tweeters (Rampage, Audiovox, Coustic)junk...try this...I think you'll agree...