PDA

View Full Version : turbo questions

nappyroots827
12-12-2004, 07:42 PM
well, im probably gonna get yelled at for posting this because its probably all over the forum, but is there anything out of the ordinary that you guys would recommend getting for my car when i turbo it...any of you guys have any turbo experience that could give me some good pointers...i mean, im gonna get the essentials, intercooler, bov, wastegate, manifold, injectors, fuel pump, fuel rail, pressure regulator, got an exhaust, p&p head...for the time being, im gonna stick with my stock 9.0:1 pistons and run around 6 lbs of boost until i go with new low comp pistons, but anything else that you guys would recommend that would be a good idea...any input is greatly appreciated because i wanna make sure i have everything before i start...im not going through starting something and halfway through you need something else, like i did with the efi swap

Justin86
12-12-2004, 08:06 PM
engine management, you won't need it for low boost, but it will be a good thing to look into and save up for. I good clutch which is being worked out, and some good tires.......... ;)

AccordEpicenter
12-12-2004, 09:21 PM
intercooler, and youll need good managemant... at least an safc or somthing, fmu's are unpredictable at best... Stock fuel rail and lines are good to around 400-500hp. You dont absolutely need a bov for 6psi, but if youre going for more later you will. I was running 10psi on the stock bottom end before i put her away for the winter, not sure how long its gonna last tho. 9:1 compression is just fine to run 20 psi on... as long as your managemant and fuel/spark are decent you should be ok.

nappyroots827
12-13-2004, 08:17 AM
what kind of engine management would you recommend, im probably gonna swap in an ls computer this winter so i can use hondata so that will help me out a little, but on the fuel side of it, what kind of systems do you guys use? apexi afc?? greddy? i know theres a few good ones out there, but do you have any experience with any of them??

b8er
12-13-2004, 08:26 AM
how long do you guys figure it would take to put awhole tubro set up on one of our cars, i mean if you had all the pieces already and just went at it. a weekend? awhole week? what do you guys figure

Justin86
12-13-2004, 09:09 AM
well from what we are looking at with an OBD-1 swap the teg P75 or civic P06 are both good ECU's and they will be cheaper then other options. but once you go to OBD-1 you have a lot of options. Sean has a good ECU package for a good price, but if you will continue to do them again is a toss up?

Hooking up a turbo kit can be done in a day easy, the wiring might be a little longer depending on what you are adding as of managemenet, gauges, etc..........

nappyroots827
12-13-2004, 09:40 AM
what all needs to be done for the P75 ecu swap, just repinning the ecu? or do you need to run new wires, ive looked into it a little but but im still a little unclear as to what needs to be done...and as far as our ecu, would it be sufficient enough for turbo, or would u recommend switching to the ls computer with all the work involved..and is there an easier way of putting in the ls computer in, does anyone make a kit for a decent price?

RobT5580
12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
what all needs to be done for the P75 ecu swap, just repinning the ecu? or do you need to run new wires, ive looked into it a little but but im still a little unclear as to what needs to be done...and as far as our ecu, would it be sufficient enough for turbo, or would u recommend switching to the ls computer with all the work involved..and is there an easier way of putting in the ls computer in, does anyone make a kit for a decent price?

If you working on an LX it is going to be a lot more work. If you starting with a LXI you can get a OBD1 conversion harness for around $100-$150. But i dont recommend getting into a turbo if 1) Its your daily driver and 2) if you not pretty mechanically inclined. The 3rd gen accord is an odd ball compared to the rest of the honda market so finding good qualified help is going to be very hard and probably expensive. Tuning is the biggest issue people overlook and is why turbos are correlated to being unreliable. So you need to plan out everything and make sure you have a good tuner near by. If this was a newer honda that had bolt on kits i would say go for it because they have well designed kits that are complete but no one makes a kit fot the accord so if you cant fabricate things its going to cost a lot more.

thegreatdane
12-13-2004, 03:16 PM
You might also want to add a stronger clutch to your list :)

nappyroots827
12-13-2004, 09:31 PM
i guess u could say i have an lx, but its pretty much not anymore, its fuel injected and all that, so the only non lxi thing im dealing with is lower compression pistons, but thats a good thing with turbo

b8er
12-13-2004, 10:12 PM
so iv been reading up on turbo applicatuons and everything my self and i just wanna say thanks for the info so far. i also wanted to ask what kinda computer upgrading i would have to do if i persude the turbo setup on my 87 EX-i, anything outta the ordinatry i should watch for or have to do?, thanxs for everything already

nappyroots827
12-14-2004, 09:34 AM
personally, i think this should be turned into a sticky, cuz i mean, who on this forum isn't interested in finding out what needs to be done for a turbo on our cars...haha, well anyways, i just got my turbo today and mmmmmmm its nice, haha, now i just need to get some money for the manifold and all the other goodies...but in the mean time, i need to continue my research on what needs to be done for an ls computer swap, cuz i def want to go obd1 so i have a lot more options

According2Me
12-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey, I've owned a carbed turbo 3g, and have a turbo EFI 3g...

first of all, good luck on the manifold, (although I have one that may be for sale) but worst of all, I found no decent applications for the ECU. Unless you are totally willing to either, burn your car down, or get it right and have a tight LX. Either way, it takes a LOT of time and money. Good luck... :thumbup:

AccordEpicenter
12-14-2004, 01:52 PM
yeah... what turbo are you planning on running? Yeah an LS computer swap might work but its big time/effort getting it to work... hope you can get it to work good. Im on an Apex'I Safc right now with mitsubishi 450cc's and it works pretty good...

A20A1
12-14-2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169

I haven't aadded much in the engine and trans upgrade section... I've been kinda busy.
But I did list a few mods and suppliers... I pretty much listed all the engine managements I could find.

b8er
12-14-2004, 03:30 PM
wow thats great info, thanx a20a1

nappyroots827
12-14-2004, 07:27 PM
i got a greddy t3/t4 turbo just yesterday for 80 bux, yup 80 bux, i love ebay...anyways, if worse comes to worse, would it be that bad to use my stock ecu and go with an afc or something?

AccordEpicenter
12-14-2004, 07:31 PM
its not bad youre just limited to about 9-10 psi and youll need to do somthing else to manage your ignition timing... like a MSD BTM... thats awfully cheap for a T3/T4, does it need a rebuild?

nappyroots827
12-14-2004, 08:38 PM
the only thing wrong with it is one of the intake fins is a little bent up, but my friend works at a shop and said its a relatively easy fix, but other than that there is no shaft play, and it spins freely

nappyroots827
12-15-2004, 09:00 AM
alright, i have a few questions, im still learning about turbos n' such...now, on my turbo, on the exhaust outlet, where it is bolted to the downpipe, there is the whole where the turbine lets out the exhaust, and then there is a hole which bypasses the turbine, it just goes from the exhaust inlet to the downpipe, now, im assuming it has something to do with the wastegate, but if anyone here knows, tell me what its for, and also, there is a threaded hole on the outlet of the intake side but it doesn't go into the actual chamber, its just like a hole, is this for like a temp sensor or something?? ill try and get some pics on here if i can

hondamanlxi
12-15-2004, 09:22 AM
i dont know shit about turbo setups, but i think the threaded hole is for the oil line?

nappyroots827
12-15-2004, 10:11 AM
i stand corrected, the whole on the intake side does go air chamber, so im guessing its for a sensor

RobT5580
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
That part on the exhaust side is for a internal wastegate. As for the other hole if its small like a 1/4 then its for a boost source used for a manual boost controller. If thats not the case take a picture and i will check it out.

mykwikcoupe
12-15-2004, 07:08 PM
nappyroots what you need to do is by my turbo from me. It have EVERYTHING you need to run 9-15 psi. Im looking for something in the 1800 range depending on what you all what in the kit. It has the hks evc 4, apexi super afc, TA34 turbo (42, 48 with a T3 wheel) stage 3 clutch and pressure plater manifold, downpipe, tial 35mm wastgate, hks super sequential bov, oil lines oil pan everything but the chargepipes for the intercooler if you want one. kit was originally bought for 2200 form tom coleman at Ludespeed.

Oh and send me a PM or email dont post Ill never find it again. Im not online much anymore

nappyroots827
12-15-2004, 09:54 PM
hey, how much do you want for your manifold and downpipe

AccordEpicenter
12-15-2004, 11:19 PM
qwickcoupe... wasnt that setup for a b20a? The big thing is the manifold... if you can get that you can make your own downpipe, or have a muffler shop make one for you. Pretty much any accord turbo mani you have to either make yourself or have someone make it for you. I, like everybody on here except like 1 person, made it myself.

nappyroots827
12-16-2004, 09:34 AM
is it that hard to do?? i guess not if that many people have done it themselves, haha, do you have any pics of it??

mykwikcoupe
12-16-2004, 06:39 PM
id prefer not to part out the turbo kit. You dont have to get all the add ons but it would be who of you too. Its all there. Check my for sale thread it has a brief run down. if your interested Ill explain in detail.

smufguy
12-16-2004, 07:02 PM
is it that hard to do?? i guess not if that many people have done it themselves, haha, do you have any pics of it??

yes it is hard to do. Its not a joke!!! doing a log manifold is not hard for a guy who always does log manifolds. But getting a equal length or anything else, its hard cause u need to get the geometry right and since we dont have enough room from the head to the front crossmember it needs to be constructed with the final turbo u are willing to run. You also have to take into consideration of the engine movement from front to back under acceleration and deceleration so that u dont hit the turbo on the crossmemeber which will either break/crack ur manifold or even pull ur head to shit. most cost efficient style is the log style and thats where its advantage stops. One of the street style manifolds are much similar to the ones on the turbo DSMs, including the evo since they are decent sized and a tubular version of it dissipates heat better. Since running a turbo will increase the underhood temperature, the manifold itself soaks up a lot of heat since its made of turbular one. The more it soaks up the heat, the less velocity the exhaust gases have, thats why a lot of them are made of stainless steel and the stock ones come with Cast (also they are cost efficient to produce).

I see you got a lot of questions about turbo and specifically for its use on this car. I suggest that you learn more about just the turbo and its charecteristics, then look at the manufacturer u want for your turbo, then ask yourself what kind of power you want, if its gonna be a track car, street car with legal emissions, or street car with illegal emissions, then select the turbo size by looking at the compressor maps for the. Next mark your location in the engine bay of where you want the turbo to be, taking into consideration of the heat issues with the manifold. (Heat issue is a big one so dont over look it). While in the progress, look up on the turbo threads that have valuable information on your questions.

Hope it helps you somehow ;)

AccordEpicenter
12-16-2004, 08:13 PM
hmm... if i downshift and engine brake hard then my turbo will hit the front beam... i had to notch/bash the front beam to get it to fit anyway. At least it hasnt broken anything or cracked anything. Im going with a solid front mount so it wont happen any more. I bet if you had a decent mig welder you could put together a decent log turbo mani for $100-$150 in parts... actually maybe less.

nappyroots827
12-16-2004, 10:01 PM
hey, this is a random and stupid question, but did you guys notice a really nice gain from the turbo, and is it worth the money for the gains you get, i just love thinking that i will have a turbo

Justin86
12-16-2004, 10:17 PM
have you every done a 3rd gear burn out, boost will do it for ya :D

AccordEpicenter
12-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Huuuuge Power Gains

nappyroots827
12-16-2004, 11:03 PM
well considering i am currently running an automatic transmission, odds are i haven't done a 3rd gear burnout, but don't worry, im swapping trannys before i do turbo, haha, im not gonna throw my money into a turbo and not have fun with it

nappyroots827
12-16-2004, 11:04 PM
p.s. justin, that intake manifold on ebay is MINE! lol

89T
12-20-2004, 05:07 PM
here's another option for fuel... so far i am sticking with a stock ecu ,safc, 1:1 fpr and doing this....http://www.nitrousworld.com/jacobsmastermind.html :cool: i have 4 72# injectors already....so if one is not enough?