PDA

View Full Version : is this a good idea??

HondaManDan
07-30-2002, 07:57 PM
alright... i had that hesitation problem.... i think it's fixed though... i bought a new distributor cap and rotor and it seemed to smooth my whole engine out... im getting new plug wires tomorrow to so this should help a little more... ummm yeah...
my tranny..... i think it slips... i dont really know... i think that might be what my hesitation was... but i dont know.... umm... im thinking synthetic tranny fluid and a cooler might be in order... good idea???? umm i also heard that if you wait too long after the schedueled time like 50k or somthin your tranny gets used to the thinner tranny fluid and could be f'd up if you put new tranny fluid in.... true? hoax? lol help me out again guys thanks :stick:

dosh8er
07-30-2002, 08:02 PM
That last part about the trans becoming used to the thinner fluid, that's total BS. Totally. If it's old, (not the red/pink color it should be) and smells really strong and funny, then it's time to change it out. New fluid, good idea if you think it's not been changed in over 60k... Although with all the people I've seen have problems with 'slipping' of their trans, it might not do much if it's doing 'it' (slipping) regularly.

monsonhonda
07-31-2002, 10:43 AM
yeah, that shit about trannies getting used to the fluid in them is a myth, probably started by tranny shops to keep business up. i was told by one of the mechanics at one of the auto transmission shops that if poeple with automatic transmissions changed their fluid every 30k that hed be out of business, not to say you cant wreck a tranny if you change your fluid every 30k, but think of how many cars there are out there that have never had their transmission fluid changed.

peace

fussell

POS carb
07-31-2002, 10:45 AM
yea if there are people out there that forget to change their friggin engine oil of course they will overlook the tranny.

i have to disagree with that mechanic though, i think they are still in business because of AAMCO fuckups

rocky2
07-31-2002, 01:40 PM
Its true I believe when someone who has not changed fliud for 50k or above then changes fliud then it could adversely effect trans. Why? The fresh trans fliud washs out all the caked on jive thats in the trans keeping it together then all of a sudden it starts to slip.
So in my opionion its ok to just run a trans till she blows or change fliud every 30K.
Or change fliud only after its slipping just an attempt to stop it from slipping sometimes it can be SAVED

monsonhonda
07-31-2002, 02:04 PM
i get ya rocky2, but changing it every 30k is definately the way to go

dosh8er
07-31-2002, 04:04 PM
yes.. just because the oil in your engine wasn't changed out for 10k by the owner before you, doesn't mean you're not going to change the oil every 3k... WTF?

In addition to that, there is a reason transmissions have a magnet in the pan, and a filter. :rolleyes:

A20A1
07-31-2002, 07:35 PM
sorry guys I've never changed my trans fluid but then again maybe I did... when the cooling hose blew I lost about every bit of trans fluid... I bought whatever atf I could find just to get to the auto store where I got mobile 1... then i found out I could add more fluid cause the oil coolers increased the capacity of the trans.. so I got B&M trick shift.

but I've got no plans to change the fluid till something happens... (knocks on wood)

hondaisthebest
07-31-2002, 08:12 PM
I changed my tranny fluid for the first time at 140 000 miles and after i changed every two years and now my car have 325 000 miles with the original auto tranny and she is still like a new one.

Of course i always use honda genuine atf