PDA

View Full Version : Going to P&P a head got a few ?'s.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
I know how to P&P cylinder heads but my question is should I replace all of the valvetrain? That's where it gets spendy... Parts store wanted $669 for a rebuilt head but that's with cam and everything. Honda wanted $422 for valves, springs, retainers, and seals. Now from what I thought the heads on our cars are all the same except the cams. I'd be porting a sei head pending it has no cracks. I think it has a burnt valve on that one from what I heard when I drove it. I'm not going to be turbo charging this motor or supercharging it, but I may do nitrous when I build a block up. Rebuilding hondas are f*cking spendy. Honda says when rebuilding the heads all the valve springs must be replaced (is that just so that make more money ?) I want to save some money here but I don't want to be a moron and not change bad parts. I will replace any bad valves and grind new seats and probably get all new retainers since those are really cheap and get new valve seals. Anyone know anything about the valve springs? I've got 3 sources saying to just replace honda valve springs. What have you guys done or found out?

-Mike

Vanilla Sky
12-14-2004, 10:58 AM
if i were you, i would search around and get upgrade springs, or just use the stock ones if they are still within spec...

btw, according to my shop manual, the springs don't have to be replaced... as a matter of fact, the only parts it does say to replace are the usual things like gaskets

86LXItooFAST4me
12-14-2004, 11:00 AM
i had sean do all the work on my head but from what i remember, the same spring were used. but im not sure. i do remember the springs being REALY expesive

Mike's89AccordLX
12-14-2004, 12:38 PM
I will consult my manuals and try and search a little more. Springs are the things that are most expensive. Valves are like $10 each.

Strugglebucket
12-14-2004, 12:57 PM
when my head was rebuilt the only things replaced were two intake valves and all of the exhaust valve guides. that was on a head with 130k.

Justin86
12-14-2004, 03:09 PM
yea the only commom thing to be replaced is bad exhaust valves, and the exhaust guides if they are bad, besided that regrind everything else and it should be good. The seals can be done but they usally hold up really well.