PDA

View Full Version : what wrong with the amp??

accordlxi2.0
12-14-2004, 02:28 PM
okay i have hooked up my jvc amp...and it still works.
everything sounds good till the volume level is up to 18 then the front fades out everytime it hit's a bass note...
can someone help plese??

POS carb
12-14-2004, 03:46 PM
how many subs did you wire together to it? the more info the better.

did u hook up an amp to the speakers or subs. I'm confused

According2Me
12-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Well...what kind of ohm's are we talkin...and how many subs....what kind....do you have a cap...what gauge wire...do you have a soft start amp....if the amp is hooked to the highs in your car, you need to have the crossover on high pass frequencies, if it is hooked to subs, then low pass, but if you have it on, lets say 6X9's, 6's, and tweeters, then you want the full range. But if your small er speakers are getting 200W of bass channels, they are probably stressing out and your voice coil is getting hot causing the amplitude to fade...but your speakers are still moving the same as if you heard the noise, but not at the right frequency. And, if you have a soft start amp, it may realize that it is giving way too much power, and soften the signal to the smaller speakers. there ya go...( i used to install car stereos) ...there is a lot of stuff that can do it, but that is my best guess... :ugh2:

accordlxi2.0
12-14-2004, 05:09 PM
sorry.
okay the front's are pioneer tweeters.
the front speaker's are 6x8 ford/jbl speaker's( about 3 ohms a piece).
the rear's are 2 delco/bose 6x9's (about 4 ohms a piece), and 2 american pro 4 way 6x9's (which are 4 ohms a piece).

the rear's are wired in parallel.
and so are the tweet's and 6x8's.

i think it's not getting enough power because i did'nt have this problem when i had the 86'.

when i put it to the front's only and i have the bass up on the head unit and the amp, it does'nt go out.
and when i put the rear on it kinda goes out.

hmm also when it hit's a bass note the display on the amp dim's ALOT.
then when i press the gas it does'nt do it.

oh plus the gain level on both the front and rear are low...
i don't turn them up because it's TOO loud.

is it my wiring?????

According2Me
12-14-2004, 05:30 PM
WHOA!!!!!!! If your power light goes dim when it hits, and then doesnt when you rev it or are driving.....STOP PLAYING IT UNTIL YOU GET A CAPACITOR, OR A BIGGER ALTERNATOR!!!! You will kill your amp. It is drawing more power than it should anyways.....I have about 2000 Watts of power and I barely dim my headlights...so you might want to check that out too. You should use about 8g wire on your amp...OH....your ground wire should as big as your power wire, and as SHORT AS POSSIBLE.

accordlxi2.0
12-14-2004, 05:45 PM
no. no. none of my head lights, park lights, dome lights, none of those dim.....surprisenly.
before the head unit would dim when it hit's a bass note, but that's to be expected since most pioneer's are known to do that.
but it does'nt do that now.

lol, homey i think that's my problem...the ground wire.
that shit is about as thin a spegghetti.
but it's within a short distance.

when i had my 86' i had the "right set-up"
it would actully make the engine idle go down once it hit a bass note..BUT, did'nt affect the stereo or the alternator at all ( it was a used one from the j/y had over 200,xxx mi's on it.)

the + wire is thick ..a 8 gauge i belive.
so if i change the - wire and make it thicker that should sovle the rpoblem ....right??

According2Me
12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
lol...yeah...lol... :lol: your ground wire is probably frying...get at least 8g or even a foot of 4g...that should solve it...b/c if your car doesnt dim, and you amp does, the prob is from your battery to you amp. That should do it...

accordlxi2.0
12-15-2004, 07:29 AM
thanks..i'll update later i can't do anything right now.

accordlxi2.0
12-15-2004, 04:47 PM
well that was it...
i wired like two thick wire (did'nt know the gauge thats why) together.
and that was it..now i need a cap

According2Me
12-15-2004, 06:46 PM
Sweet...now you're prob draining the battery huh... :lol: by the way....8g is the size of a pencil maybe a tiny bit bigger, and 4g is like the size of your pinky finger...