PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problems!!!

According2Me
12-14-2004, 02:36 PM
My alternator took a dump, and I can get a different one from a member here...but...will an auto tranny alternator work on a manual tranny car???

smufguy
12-14-2004, 05:28 PM
My alternator took a dump, and I can get a different one from a member here...but...will an auto tranny alternator work on a manual tranny car???

trannies does not differenciate the type of alternator.

You have to tell us what kinda car u got, if its a carb or a fuel injection. Cause carb alts are different than the efi ones.

According2Me
12-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I have a carbed 89LX 5-speed.

buds302
12-14-2004, 05:38 PM
where you live man? cause it would be easier to go to advance auto and drop $80 bucks for a new one. plus it comes with a lifetime warranty. if it ever takes a dump again just take it back and they will test it, tell you its bad then get you a new one for free. even if you dont have the recipt. just dont scratch off the world class auto sticker. thats the only way they know it came from there. you can return it at any advance auto parts store. ive returned mine a couple of different times without the reciept and had no problem

According2Me
12-14-2004, 06:19 PM
I live in Toledo, Ohio. There are a few Advance Auto places here...I may do that....thanks.......is it as hard as it looks to change the damn thing?

buds302
12-14-2004, 08:07 PM
youve got a carb so its pretty hard. if you had f.i. you just take out the airbox and 20 mins later its out. im not to sure how to do it on a carb i think you have to take out the axle and drop it from the bottom. im not sure though ask someone who has the carb.

smufguy
12-14-2004, 09:09 PM
for a carb just take the wheel off, unbolt the atlernator bolt on the bottom bracket, loosen and remove the belt. And just drop the alternator beside the tranny. U dont need to drop the axle and shit.

According2Me
12-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Awesome...I dont want to soound like a noobie...(well I am)...but you just take the drivers side wheel off, and can you reach everything from there(in the wheelwell) or do you have to scrape up the knuckles and drop the wrench down into where you cant reach it...lol...is it like a sliding bracket?

smufguy
12-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Awesome...I dont want to soound like a noobie...(well I am)...but you just take the drivers side wheel off, and can you reach everything from there(in the wheelwell) or do you have to scrape up the knuckles and drop the wrench down into where you cant reach it...lol...is it like a sliding bracket?

all you need to do is just take off the wheel. Get a ratchet or a breakerbar with a 12" extension coupled to a swivel joint and another extension or a socket and it comes out in a breeze. The only hurdle would be actually knocking the alternator off its bracket cause the washers that hold it in could be caked up with rust. Its not a biggie, just use a large flat head screwdriver and a hammer to knock it loose. then once the bracket holders are cleaned and the washers made free of rust, the new one will drop right in.

According2Me
12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
:thumbup: Cool..thanks for the help Smufguy...I dont want to pay 120 bucks to have some yahoo work on my car...

smufguy
12-15-2004, 03:24 PM
:thumbup: Cool..thanks for the help Smufguy...I dont want to pay 120 bucks to have some yahoo work on my car...

not a problem man and u can get an alternator from autozone, they got some good ones like the Beck & Anley or the AcDelco (expensive of the two). the beck costs around 65 bux and the delco is about 10 or 15 more. If you can, you can also order a Bosch from Nopi but in all the above cases, u need to give up the old alternator as you know to get the core charge back.

note: even tho removing the alt is rather easy, pulling it outta the car for a carb is a lil difficult like stated above. but moving it towards the tranny of the car is much easier but involves some bending of ur extremities ;)

According2Me
12-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Yeah...core charge is like 55 bucks...so...they can have it!!!

accordlxi2.0
12-15-2004, 03:37 PM
hmmmm....
i remember that man that was a worst time for mine's to take a dump like 2 day's before my new job.
i did'nt have to take the tire off, i turn the wheel all the way to the right.
loosened the bottom bolt.
i raised the eng. assem. by jacking the trans up.
which gave me clearance.
took out the alt and slid it over to the pass. side.
that was easy got it out in about 20 min's.
the hard part was getting in the new (used) one.
i had to saw some of it down but got it in.

THIS is one of the reason's why efi guy's are lucky........

According2Me
12-15-2004, 03:43 PM
I know....easy intake mods...easy turbo apps....easy alternator replacement... Now....where was that carb to EFI thread????

smufguy
12-15-2004, 03:46 PM
I know....easy intake mods...easy turbo apps....easy alternator replacement... Now....where was that carb to EFI thread????

well if u find the alt removable to be extremely hard, u can always spend 10 extra minutes to rmove the intake manifold and have ur way with the alternator. Of coruse u gotta buy the $7 intake manifold gasket which u will be replacing.

lol, check my website if u want the carb to efi swap or u can also check the how-to page on this forum.

According2Me
12-15-2004, 04:07 PM
:jaw: holy shitballs!!!!!! That is a LOT of work...Damn........."For a carb to EFI conversion, simply disassemble your car, and then put it back together."

smufguy
12-15-2004, 04:10 PM
:jaw: holy shitballs!!!!!! That is a LOT of work...Damn.........""

you lazy bum, get out there and fix you alternator and stop complaining. :lol:

accordlxi2.0
12-15-2004, 04:52 PM
dude it's well worth it.
i mean just think you can mod it to a certain point without having to worry about passing emisions.
more part are availible.
you can start up and drive...well let the car run for at least 5 minutes before driving off.
MORE POWER...espicially if you get a efi cam and put it to your car cyl. head.

as for the alt...it's not so bad..

According2Me
12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
ahhhh.... i no i no...the alt wont be the prob...but hell...changing to EFI though...cmon you guys know that Id blow it up or something...( I can take shit apart fine...but putting it back together?)

ehulst
12-15-2004, 07:03 PM
since the topic is alternator, my belt SCREAMS..like everyone has mentioned on all the post id read.....belt grease did nothing.....but what i'm woundering is....Since its so cold out in the mornings and dark.....my belt is sounded at start up then if i put my heater, rear defroster, or headlights on...the belt is so loud that you cant even open the hood cause you'll lose your hearing.....the only way it wont sound is if i don't ahve anything on..but would that be the sign of my belt going...or the bearing inside the alternator?

carotman
12-15-2004, 07:10 PM
the alternator could be seizing a little bit and becoming hard to turn... However, if it doesn't scream when you got no accessories ON, I doubt the problem is the alternator itself. If the belt is fine, just add more tension to it. Make sure theb elt shows no heavy sign of wear.