PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear a JL 12W7 in a car?

RobT5580
12-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Im considering swapping out my single infinity perfect 12" for a 12W7. I really like deep base and one twelve just dont seem to get that deep for me. And i dont want huge box in my trunk. I figured one 12W7 would be more of what i want and a decent size/weight combo in my trunk.

Just want to hear if anyone has opinions because i hear good things and seen them in a store but never heard them in a actual car.

According2Me
12-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Dude, if you are paying no more than $200 for the sub, then get it. BUT remember, JL recommends using their box which is built for that sub. $350. And you are going to need at least 1000W RMS. not peak power, to make it pound with any force. $400. And...if you dont have the exact right setup for the box, you'll miss all kinda of frequencies. BUT, if you get it right...there is no single 12'' sub that can touch it!!!!! :thumbdn: Go get 2 Kicker L7 w/ any decent 1.5cu/ft ported box, and a decent 500W RMS amp, and you'll blow the trunk off your Accord!!!!!

RobT5580
12-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Im trying to get the best sound out of one twelve. I figured the W7 would be equal or better than 2 conventional 12's. I did have 2 12" Infinity's but they didnt even compare to my 2 JL 12W0's i use to have and that was the lowest model available. I have a connection and will pay cost for the stuff and if i get the JL 12W7 i will get the JL500/1 to power it. I just was wondering how one sounds in a trunk but i imagine it would be a nice deep bass with the right setup.

Also i wanted one to make it easy to pull out for days at the track so my car is not just a fast tin can. I want some sound to go along with my speed. I wish i spent the extra the first time because i was going to get 2 12W7's which would have been insane.

According2Me
12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
If thats the case...I would go for it...but you WILL be disappointed with the JL 500/1. that sub is INSANE with the right power. My brother has a 13'' dub 7, and his is about 120dB....WITH ONE SUB!! So...its worth it in any case if you pay wholesale for the sub. YOU ARE GOING TO NEED DYNOMAT

RobT5580
12-14-2004, 06:33 PM
That amp was recommended by some installers on another forum. Why do you think it will be a dissapointment? Just curious dont want to waste any money if i dont have to.

According2Me
12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
this is not my opinion, but fact...the W7 has a magnet that weighs like 700 pounds or something crazy like that. JL rates their amps in peak power, NOT RMS. RMS is the standard operating range of power needed to drive the driver in the sub. I may be wrong, but JL themselves recomends at least 500W RMS to push the W7. And since the JL 500/1 at best is pushing 200W RMS/1 and like 80/2...I think if you are going to get the arguably best sub on the market, it deserves good power. Again, you can get a damn good amp for the price you are paying for that JL. Dont get me wrong....if you have read the total bass setup thread...I have all JL highs and mids...but, I'd look into a (Dont laugh it off as generic) Coustic 600W/1 amp. I am not kidding. I have seen one of those push the shit out of 6 12'' Kicker Comp VR's. For the money///it is tha shit!!!

Vanilla Sky
12-14-2004, 07:39 PM
coustic amps are underrated... meaning they have more power than the box says...

and another bang-for-buck sub is the adire bramha... i hear they stack up well against the w7, but since i haven't ever heard either one, i couldn't recommend either one...

also, look at elemental designs subs... i hear they are nice also...

kennyaccordlxi
12-14-2004, 08:20 PM
I heard that Coustic is the same company as MTX, I don`t know if its true or not.

here are a few terms I got from my Crutchfield magazine. "Power Ratings: RMS Power is the power a speaker can handle continuously. It`s the most important power spec to consider when picking a speaker."

"Peak Power refers to how much power a speaker can handle during a brief musicial burst. you shouldn`t assume that a speaker can handle the peak power rating for any length of time."

"Sensitvitiy (Efficiency): The higher a speaker`s sensitivity rating, the louder it will play with the power it gets. If you`re putting speakers into a factory system, a higher rating will give you good results. If your system has a high-power receiver or external amps, speakers with lower ratings can offer higher power handling and improved sound."

"Frequency Response: This spec tells you the range of frequencies the speaker can reproduce. The human ear can hear sound produced at frequencies from 20 -20,000Hz. While a wider frequency responseby itself doesn`t mean a speaker will sound better,it can be an important spec to consider if you are trying to get more bass or highs into your system`s sound."

Hash_man_Se_i
12-15-2004, 12:25 AM
I have heard differing opinions on the W7, IMO, I would never pay that much for a JL... especially, when I'm sure all you will hear is the bass... Personaly, if you're saying you want the best "sound" from your sub, that will also pound... I would go with something like the Focal 33kx, this thing is amazing, pounds really well with the right power and sounds really good doing so. And just look at the triple stack magnet... so sexy.

http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/k2power/zoom/images/33kx.jpg

But with a really good sub like that, I would go with a good amp with ample power for it... I agree with the others when they say coustic amps are good and underrated, and that they are, I have seen them perform myself and was quite impressed. But if you want a killer amp to mate up with the focal, or whatever you chose, go with something like an Audison IMo, best amps you can buy.

Hey for $8000 i'd buy the thesis, lol... this thing is nuts.
http://pasmag.com/store/photos/{B0B2ABC2-19CF-4E99-ABA9-BA807C2C08D8}.jpg

According2Me
12-15-2004, 12:59 PM
I have never heard of Focal...but then again, a lot of people aren't hip to Diamond either. And if you are, you know what I mean! Remember, he can ge the sub at wholesale price...so originally they are like $600-$800, he can prob get it for like half that. Well worth it if you want deeeep bass. I ahve seen 1 12'' dub 7 make the roof of a Blazer flex up and down like 6 inches. Impressive sight! :bowrofl:

mykwikcoupe
12-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Ok rob here we go agian. One has what the other wants. Ive got 2 13w7 in the bird with a single 1000/1 running each so 2 jl 1000/1 total. the thing is insane. It will restart the heart if allowed. id say go for the 10w7 with the 500/1 fist thats what Im planning the 12 is just in its own world. It sounds damn nice for the 500/1 which will work fine. If you plan on going with 2 12w7 at any tiome first put 1000/1 on it. Check out the box specs you know the subs need like an 9 inch deep box so spare tire mounting is out. Im thinking 2 10w7 1000/1. 1 sub behind the wheel well ion each side in a fiberglass box with the amp in the floor. Im a firm belieaver in JL and the fact that you get what you pay for. Ive been running Sq for while know and Im very satisfied. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask you still have my email addy? So does this mean you dont want the xdp-210eq anymore?

RobT5580
12-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks Mike, Im just looking into it but i really want a W7 and i miss my old 12W0's which sounded 5x better than even both my infinity perfects. I will see what kind of a deal i can get on the 12W7 in a box with the 500/1. I thought about the 10's but i would think the 12 would be better/save room.

I will see how things go with buying a new daily driver then i will get this setup with the spare money hopefully. As for the XDP-210 Im still interested and have been checking ebay periodically for one. I will email you if i can swing all this stuff since i seem to be getting out of hand again.

Ludi Mali
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
according2me, high five on the diamonds, but i'm 99%sure JL rates rms(on the amps). 1 jl 500/1 pounded the shit out of one of my diamond cm3's.

mykwikcoupe
12-15-2004, 08:45 PM
well the 1 10w7 hits hard enough to filla crystlar concord no questions if your looking for something to broadcast get the 12 if your looking for deep bass but keep it in the car go for the 10. Like I said before i wish we lived closer. You could hear mine and go from there. Oh and check out the for sale threads i listed a ton of stuff. Im thinking about quiting the project. moneys been too tight and I dont have enough time anymore. maybe Ill just store it for a while. Who knows.

mykwikcoupe
12-15-2004, 08:47 PM
oh and for the jll audio they have this thing called a rips system for those who dont know. Its rated power rms at all ohms level so at 4 ohms a mono amp puts out 500 watts at 1 ohm the same amp puts out 500 watts. It makes it easier to size and theres no math. Im still likeing the old zapcos though. I love the look of the new slas series though

Ludi Mali
12-15-2004, 09:57 PM
oh yeah, wasn't sure if it was them that did that, thought it was orion for some reason.