PDA

View Full Version : Other Problems?

88accordlxcarb
12-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Hello.

My car was puffing out some major black smoke in the mornings, and not running..aka acting like it was running on 3 cylinders in the morning. It felt like the choke. Well it was, i took apart the choke unloader and the little rubber diaphragm(choke pulloff) in there had holes all in it. So i gooped it back together and it seems to have held for a couple of days, but yesterday i smelled goop in the car and it didnt run as good. SO i figure ill have to take it apart again.

Before i do, is there anything else i should look at or take apart and make sure it is working? Like any other thermocouples or valves? I know the thermowax valve does not work, but it still attached.

Like i said, the car in the mornings was puffing out serious black smoke, running extremely rich, lots of unburnt gas, and it wouldn’t hardly drive over 3000 RPMS till it warmed up when some other thing in the carb pulled the choke. Now the car runs idle at 1500(have not adjusted yet), but when the choke pulloff was torn it idled normal.

Any input would be great.

A20A1
12-16-2004, 02:35 PM
the choke puller was creating a vacuum leak probably and that caused the drop in idle... but I guess someone adjusted it to idle good like that... then when you fixed the leak the idle increased as a result.

There are numerous parts to check too many to list. I would glance over and make sure you float level is good, and also that your coolant level is good.
Wait till you replace the puller diaphragm before you go looking for more trouble areas. Adjust the idle temporarily when the car has fully warmed up till you can get a new diaphragm... if you're up to it rebuild the entire carb.

88accordlxcarb
12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks, ill be giving it a go tomorrow.

88accordlxcarb
12-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks, i got a new pulloff, fixed that problem, and i fixed all of the idle problems.

It seems now when i shift real fast, or if i press the clutch in really fast it makes the RPMS surge just a little before they drop. What could be causing this?

A20A1
12-17-2004, 07:30 PM
What RPM does this happen at?

Do you release the gas pedal as well?

Was the rpms you pressed the clutch at below or above 3,600

Could be a jump in manifold vacuum... affecting the:

Idle diaphragm or Ignition Advance...

88accordlxcarb
12-17-2004, 07:35 PM
It's probably nothing, but i was just saying it, just in case.

It happens at 3000 or below(thats when i shift), its probably just me not taking my foot off the gas in time. They just surge like 500-700 RPMS up then fall directly down.

Thanks for your help.

A20A1
12-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah at those rpms it could be ignition advance getting extra vacuum, so it advances more and raises the idle... I was backwards with the idle diaphragm... a drop in vacuum would cause it to increase throttle.

releasing the gas quickly will cause vacuum to spike up. but I it coyuld be as you said too...

88accordlxcarb
12-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Well i did more tests and...

I had my foot completely off the gas pedal and pressed the clutch in fast, and it surged up about 500 RPMS. It does this in going into 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Its just very annoying, because i shift kinda fast, and when i press the clutch in the RPMS go up then drop. It's almost like the clutch pedal turns into a gas pedal(except its not in gear), until you have it pressed all the way on the floor, then the RPMS go down.

I've tried shifting reaaaaaaaaaaaly slow, and when i do that they do not do it as much, but the RPMS still go up about 250ish before it drops.

But like i said, its not my driving, i had my foot off the gas next to my leg and then pressed the clutch in and they went up. Its very annoying now..

How do i check to see whats wrong?

A20A1
12-22-2004, 03:05 AM
maybe adjust your idle speed lower when not in gear... what is your idle speed in/out gear now?

88accordlxcarb
12-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Well i adjusted my stop throttle screw as low as it could go, and then adjusted the idle with the idle screw up to about 1000-1100. It's that high because with all the lights on and the fan and the sound system up, it drops the idle at rest down to normal(800ish), but without any lights or whatever running, it goes back up. It's the only way that i could get the idle to stay high enough when its cold and im running all the crap. My alternator is not the strongest, so it seems.

When im rolling down the road and i press the clutch in, it goes down to about 1200 or so if i just let it sit, so i didnt think that was to high. The fast idle is set at 1800. But i am able to kick it down in the morning and get the fast idle to go away. I could try turning that down?