PDA

View Full Version : for the "purists"

Vanilla Sky
12-15-2004, 10:18 PM
here's a set of drivers for the rear deck in your car... it's a 6x9 woofer, nothing more... this helps preserve a good soundstage while providing rear fill and an extra oomph...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-836

not at all a bad price, either...

new, these are no replacement for a full-blown subwoofer, but if you want to stay light and still sound great, something like this is PERFECT...

Moodybluesr
12-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Tang Band sells component parts for home speakers... note the 8 ohm impedance. Not that this is an unworkable point (very easy to make a single 4 ohm load obviously) but I doubt that those woofers are meant to handle the environmental extremes found in a car. That and the frame on that woofer looks a little big to fit in our 6x9 pod; you would have to get creative with a dremel if you wanted to mount these in the deck.

The Boston RM9s that I have in the back of my car are similar to these anyway. They use a 6x9 inch woofer with a component tweeter suspended above so as not to break the structural rigidity of the woofer cone. If you don't want the highs from the back end, it is pretty easy to take them out with a crossover (which you would have to use with the Tang woofers anyway) but the Boston's do cost quite a bit more (assuming you can still find them... OOP).

Vanilla Sky
12-16-2004, 08:35 AM
exactly... you can't find 6x9 woofers much anymore... not even used on ebay...

the 8 ohm impedance is a non-issue... it's not like your amp will have a problem driving the 8 ohm load... and of course you can fo mono and come out iwht a 4 ohm load as you stated...

also, for someone wanting to run larger speakers, cutting the basket is also a non-issue, as most of us here have modified our baskets...

i posted these because i was having a horrible time finding a set of 6x9 woofers that didn't cost $300 a set... these are just a less expensive alternative to the much more expensive auto sound drivers that are on the market now...

Mike's89AccordLX
12-16-2004, 10:32 AM
I have an Audiobahn 6x9 in the center of my lude and man does that sound nice. It's got the chrome basket and everything. I also just bought some Audiobahn 25mm tweeters for in the center of my dash. 4 tweeters and 2 speakers in the front, 2 speakers and 1 6x9 in the rear, 2 12" subs and 2 good amps, and 1 big capacitor = 1 happy mikey :)

Ludi Mali
12-16-2004, 12:16 PM
where you putting the tweeters at in the front?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-16-2004, 10:17 PM
The usdm ludes had 2 dash tweeter pods r and l. The jdm ludes had those and a tweeter pod in the center of the dash also . I got my hands on the jdm speaker pods I have the one for the front tweeters and the center 6x9.

danronian
12-17-2004, 09:58 AM
But the problem even with modifying the basket is that real deep speakers often get close to hitting the rods that keep the trunk lid open, but then again you can always modify anything to make anything fit. For my rear fill sound I use two cheap 3-way roadmaster 6X9s in enclosures mounted standing up from the floor of the trunk. To keep them only producing low frequencies I just make it so the rear of the car only is sent lower frequencies with my HU. Since I put those speakers in the boxes they really don't distort at all with bass, they have a higher pitched bass then when they were just in the rear deck but I think they sound alot better in the boxes. True they are low quality speakers but I find them fine being only powered by my Pioneer HU.

Strugglebucket
12-19-2004, 06:34 PM
But the problem even with modifying the basket is that real deep speakers often get close to hitting the rods that keep the trunk lid open, but then again you can always modify anything to make anything fit. For my rear fill sound I use two cheap 3-way roadmaster 6X9s in enclosures mounted standing up from the floor of the trunk. To keep them only producing low frequencies I just make it so the rear of the car only is sent lower frequencies with my HU. Since I put those speakers in the boxes they really don't distort at all with bass, they have a higher pitched bass then when they were just in the rear deck but I think they sound alot better in the boxes. True they are low quality speakers but I find them fine being only powered by my Pioneer HU.
hooray for the pioneer f.i.e.! that's kind of like the setup i have in my beater. $12 7" goldwoods from parts express in the rear deck running everything below 150hz.

Vanilla Sky
12-19-2004, 07:44 PM
i don't use the FIE on my deck... i have a set of infinity midbasses in the back deck, and a simple inline 6dB/octave crossover attached... i think it's set up at 1700Hz... i'd like to have it set up a bit lower with a 12dB/octave crossover, but the speakers just aren't worth it anymore (one has a repaired cone and surround)...

BTW, i'm looking at probably the same goldwoods for use in my car... i'll use them all around, along with a dome mid and dome tweeter up front... custom crossovers throughout...

zero.counter
12-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the site!
These cheap badboys are exactly what I had in mind for a project:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-025