PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I should say hello more formally

jayshonda
12-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Ok, my name is Jim and I just bought my first honda. Actually, I bought a couple others a while back, but that was for my daughter and later another one for my son. I think I drove them once each.

I get the feeling that I'm probably a little older than most posters on this forum from some of the posts that are here. Looking at the "How tos", I am very impressed with the detail and the ones with pics are great.

Back to "my" Honda. It's an 89 LXI 2 dr, 5 spd and the body is in remarkable shape considering how many of the mid/late 80 Hondas I see which are pretty bad. It is also pretty damn fast for a little car.

My reason for buying it was because it was cheap and I needed a temporary car to get back and forth to work. My main ride is an Audi, but a bit of a valve problem has it laid up until I can get the heads off and the job taken care of. Shortly after Christmas, I plan to get back to the head work on my Audi and hopefully have it back on the road early in January

In the meantime, I have done a few things to the Honda just to take care of nuisance items. The first job was to replace the upper control arm/ball joints because the wheels were wobbly real bad. I was amazed at how easy it was to do this job, compared to similar tasks on the Audi.

A spring is broken, which I hear is pretty common and I'm trying to buy a set of stock springs from a guy who has them listed on here. When I do the sping, I'll also replace the boots on the CV. Hopefull, I can just clean the joints and regrease before they get too bad. One of the rear upper balls is also bad and that looks pretty easy too. Will pick up the arm this weekend.

I think the alternator might be going south too. It works and charges the battery fine, but it whistles, which could be the bearings in the alt. It looks like a fun job to change, especially for my big hands.

The guy who sold me the Honda was prety glad to get rid of it. He was shell shocked by a quote to fix the upper front balls, springs, and replace both CV shafts. This was just after having it towed in when the timing belt broke. He paid a high end shop to replace it. (Good thing it's not an interference engine like my Audi). Following that repair, an upper rear ball fell apart sna he had to be towed in again for another dip into his wallet.

After all that, he was willing to get rid of it real cheap. I'm sure he thought I was buying a junker. By far and away, I don't think it's a junker and since my garage (the one attached to my house) doesn't charge very much, I'll only have a few hundred into it when i'm done, including a new set of rubber.

My plan is to sell the Honda and I'm sure it looking so good and having this stuff done will make it attractive to someone younger than myself. In the meantime, I plan on keeping it completly stock. (No lowering springs, fart cans or spoilers) I've seen some cars like this on Ebay and wonder what kind of dollars it will bring. Anyone out there want to hazzard a guess? Oh, it has about 150K on the clock.

88Accord-DX
12-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey there Jim. I'm a little older than most people on here too, don't feel alone. Anyway, sounds like you got a pretty good deal on that car. Not sure what you paid for it, but sure it wasn't to much from the condition it was in when you got it. Sounds like your going to have fun with re-placing the head on that Audi. The alternator on the Accord is fun job too. (before I realized it had to come out up out by the firewall)

Post some pics of what you got, we all love new pics. Welcome to the board!

HondaBoy
12-22-2004, 11:21 PM
well, yeah, there's some older guys and really a lot of us younger guys. most of us prove to be fairly grown up though, us that have been members for some time now. anyway, welcome to 3geez. you've already found out that this site is quite interesting and helpful in many ways. i hope you'll have great luck with you honda, they should last for a while if you take good care of them. by the way, what kind of Audi do you have? my friend has an '83 audi coupe. nice lookin little car, has the inline 5 cylinder. only thing i dont like about it is that its not really as easy to fix many things as it is on my hondas, and its much more expensive to be fixing!

88accordhb
12-22-2004, 11:23 PM
jim, "your honda" is the exact one i'm lookin for. lol

3gn86lxi
12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Hey guys... Whats older anyways????? Are we in our 30's older?
I don't really think that the number means anything!!
Welcome to you Jim, enjoy the 3geez family, I know I have. Man, I like my fart can...lol.. and my lowering springs!
My car started as one I was not going to do anything with, but I have a problem. I CANT leave anything alone!!
Anyway.....welcome. :alc:

88Accord-DX
12-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey guys... Whats older anyways????? Are we in our 30's older?
I don't really think that the number means anything!!
Welcome to you Jim, enjoy the 3geez family, I know I have. Man, I like my fart can...lol.. and my lowering springs!
My car started as one I was not going to do anything with, but I have a problem. I CANT leave anything alone!!
Anyway.....welcome. :alc:
Lol, what is up 3gnlxi? Yeah, I guess older is 30 plus. I'm in that age bracket. You're only as old as you feel, I damn sure don't feel old, but I will say "older" cause most people think that is "OLD". I feel the same way, a number doesn't mean nothing. Shit, my ol' lady is 11 years younger than me, so I don't look that damn "old" to pull that off. :alc: