PDA

View Full Version : warming up

phenox
12-17-2004, 07:02 AM
The winter around these parts has hit extremely fast and ive found myself warming up the car longer and longer and its not too much of a bother but i have to be in the car revving it for a period of time in which i can be doing other thing (multitasking) is there any way that i can warm up my car faster or is there another way to get it to warm up without stalling

A20A1
12-17-2004, 12:45 PM
you are controlling the rpms? or are you letting the fast idle do it for you?

Do you still have the preheater hose hooked up?

phenox
12-17-2004, 08:17 PM
im manually holding down the idle and i have no idea which hose ure talkin about but im in the process of learning everything there is to kno about these cars if ud xplain id be appreciative

A20A1
12-19-2004, 10:59 PM
pre heater hose goes from the heat shield on the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner intake neck.

MIK3
01-01-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm only getting about 40-50 degree weather in the mornings when I have to warm up. I let it idle for a while, and it will climb to 2100rpm after about 3-4mins idleing. That's when I know the engine's warm, hit the gas just a bit, and it drops to normal rpm so that I can safely shift into gear and drive off. I just let it warm up in the garage while I do my last minute things to get ready to leave. I didn't know they were capable of stalling while idling in warmup.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-01-2005, 06:43 PM
As A20A1 mentioned there is an air hose between the exhaust heat shield and the intake. This basically routes warm air into the intake during start up. This system is operated by a small door inside the intake. If you look on the passenger side of your filter box, you'll see a circular piece with a hose connected to it. This is the diaphragm that operated the hot air door. If the diaphragm is faulty or there is some other reason for the system to not work, the carburator may experience difficulty during start up due to the frigid air being fed to it. Hope this helps.

HondaBoy
01-01-2005, 06:55 PM
hey, i think that may be one of my problems, the diaphram is faulty. i was going to get another one off a junk yard car. mine has trouble warming up also. i think mine is partly to the thermostat, even though its new, fail safe one.

Grant2k
01-08-2005, 03:17 PM
it sounds like the fast idle is out of adjustment. i belive the fast idle adjustment screw is on the front of the carb. You will probably have to remove or at least loosen the airbox to get to it and i think i adjusted mine with a very long philips head screwdriver.

accordlxi2.0
01-08-2005, 03:28 PM
damn how can you HOLD down the idle.
i've tried that and it still kept pulling the pedal.

so i took out the fast idle...
i don't know if you have the a/c idle boost/idle controller option.
but on mines i start the car hold the rpms @ 1,500 ( car warms up quicker at that rpm)
for about a minute.
then the car take over and once the gauge goes with-in the normal band the idle goes down.

Grant2k
01-08-2005, 04:06 PM
damn how can you HOLD down the idle.

i think he means he keeps the revs up by keeping his foot on the pedal.