PDA

View Full Version : seatbelt reels up slow

NashvilleLX-i
12-17-2004, 04:36 PM
hey i got an 89 lx-i hatch and the seat bellt doesnt reel up very fast and i have to real it up myself or it gets stuck on the door? can i take the door apart or something and doo somehtign with the mechanism to make it work better? what should i do? anyone have the same problem as me?

P.S. this site just rocks!!! :rockon:

guaynabo89
12-18-2004, 05:20 AM
hey i got an 89 lx-i hatch and the seat bellt doesnt reel up very fast and i have to real it up myself or it gets stuck on the door? can i take the door apart or something and doo somehtign with the mechanism to make it work better? what should i do? anyone have the same problem as me?

P.S. this site just rocks!!! :rockon:

Try spraying silicone spray on the belts. This should help some. I never tried anything to beef up the bel retract springs. but it might be doable.

acranox
12-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Try spraying silicone spray on the belts. This should help some. I never tried anything to beef up the bel retract springs. but it might be doable.

Uh, I wouldn't do that. You don't want to risk doing anything that might weaken the belt fabric.
Besides, the fabric would absorb most of the spray and wouldn't transfer it to the retractor mechanism.

guaynabo89
12-18-2004, 05:50 AM
Uh, I wouldn't do that. You don't want to risk doing anything that might weaken the belt fabric.
Besides, the fabric would absorb most of the spray and wouldn't transfer it to the retractor mechanism.

Silicone is not a corrosive like say wd40. Spraying thebelts will help em slide through the bracket at the top of the door which iis where thy get hung up.

Vanilla Sky
12-18-2004, 07:17 AM
that's NOT why they get hung up... they get "hung up" because the retractors are shot... i believe these are still covered under warrantee, no matter how old the car... might want to go to your dealership and ask...

Derick

NashvilleLX-i
12-18-2004, 11:34 AM
warrantee really? wow so what would i need to do would i neeed special info or something or just ask them?

buds302
12-18-2004, 05:33 PM
i heard it was a recall back in the day

Keachman1
12-19-2004, 06:20 AM
I had the same problem with my 88 LX. I pulled the plastic off and found one of the bolts that held the reel assembly had fallen onto the reel pulley. It was making the belt retract very slowly if you fed the belt by hand.

If it's not that, I believe seatbelts are covered for the life of the car as mentioned above. Some dealers may give problems when you try to get repairs on older cars though. Just let them know you are aware of the lifetime warranty and might mention their lack of cooperation to the regional Honda customer service center and NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Admin).

Also, I think the hatchbacks have a mechanism that locks the reels using a soleniod. These have given problems in the past by draining the battery by staying engaged. Check your battery and see if you have a large drain. Search for posts on this.

HondaBoy
12-19-2004, 10:47 AM
dont know if this would be it, but when i looked at the thing that pulled the belt back in, it was all dusty. maybe its dirty? i know my back seat belt retractor things were a lot cleaner than the front ones and they roll up fast. i think its quite common with old cars anyway to have the belts roll up slow. still can be anoying.

acranox
12-19-2004, 02:06 PM
While I do believe the belts are covered by a lifetime warranty, I believe that applies to safety concerns only. I think you'll have a hard time convincing a dealer to replace them because they don't retract quickly enough. If they were torn, they didn't lock up, or the latch mechanism was damaged that would be a safety issue. Good luck though.

HKSdrift3r
12-19-2004, 04:33 PM
lol! yea my hatch does that too. i was gonna look into that but getting the door covers back on is a bia!!

NashvilleLX-i
12-19-2004, 11:44 PM
what if i were to accidently cut both belts and theyh would accidently start to fray as if gettin old would the replace them then?

Vanilla Sky
12-20-2004, 10:58 AM
honestly, i don't think that the retractors can work correctly if they don't reel up... so you might get them replaced because they don't reel up...

and if the won't, go to the junkyard and get a set that doesn't work and put them in... that will get them to replace them :-p

Derick

HondaBoy
12-20-2004, 05:09 PM
hey i was looking at my front seat belts and they are getting a slight bit frayed around the edges where the latch will usually be at. maybe i can get some free ones? that'd be nice. next time i go into the dealership i'll make sure to ask them about that.