PDA

View Full Version : replaced the alternator

89accord_lxi_coupe
12-19-2004, 05:56 PM
i replaced the alternator today. I had to jump it still to start it, but we only let it sit for a few minutes. when i turned it off and tried to crank it again it wouldn't start. it was all done correctly, maybe the battery has sat there long enough to die out or it didn't sit running long enough. anybody had the problem?? by the way, i go home in a couple weeks!!! yeah. :thumbup:

Slavic
12-21-2004, 06:52 PM
It doesn't take long for a battery to die if you leave it to sit empty so it may be gone. Letting the car idle for a few minutes is not going to charge your battery. It takes some time preferably driving around to do that. Furthermore it is not recommended to use an alternator as a battery charger. It's been said that it's the best way to mess up your alternator. Alternator is meant to maintain a fully charged battery. I think AutoZone will charge your battery for free if you don't own/have access to a charger.

89accord_lxi_coupe
12-21-2004, 08:51 PM
i'm not surprised, but i'm gonna take it tomorrow to get the battery charged. being down here i don't have access to a charger. so now i basically have a whole new engine bay. We replaced the engine, water pump, belts, hoses, oil pan, tranny, and several other things on my car, oh and the alternator. should i just put on a new body and have a new car or what here?? oh well, i like my car.

87accordlxi
12-22-2004, 06:58 AM
I invested 50 bucks in a portable charger/jumpstarter from Wal-Mart and it's saved my ass on more than a few occasions. Get one, and keep it in your trunk along with a 50-100 foot heavy duty extension cord.

89accord_lxi_coupe
12-22-2004, 02:06 PM
well unfortunately the battery was fine. my car again wouldn't start, then it did. after all that i realized what it is. twice before it's done this and i didn't even think about it till this morning. my main power relay is messed up again. i'm pissed, i don't have a place to get it fixed. this sucks so bad man. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH