PDA

View Full Version : Need System Help!

Tespo87AccordDX
12-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, I just got my 2nd 3rdgen Accord. I have a Sony head unit and now I need some bass. Should I just replace the stock speakers or should I invest in a box/amps/sub? Which brands should I shop for? It's an 86 LX. All help is appreciated.

Basically, pretend you have an all stock 86 LX. What would YOU do?

Vanilla Sky
12-19-2004, 07:40 PM
well, if your speakers are stock, replace them... see if that satisfies you, and if not, go for a sub and amp...

zero.counter
12-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Upgrade the speakers and turn the loudness or equivalent function of the HU on...

jigga225
12-19-2004, 09:10 PM
i would get replacements for the front 2 speakers and run them off the head unit.
THen buy a mono amplifier and a pair of 12" subs.
I'd get the best amp possible with the $$. I like Hifonics and Autotek for the price.

Tespo87AccordDX
12-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Is there really a need for 2 12's? I was thinking I could replace all the stock speakers, and maybe add a 4-channel amp and a 12. Now the question is, how should I run the speakers? The front and sub to the amp? The rear and sub to the amp? Everything to the amp or only the sub?

Or should I just not worry about getting an amp, sub, and box.

BlueBead
12-19-2004, 10:58 PM
I had pretty good results running 5.25 duals in the doors and 6x9 duals in the back. I got some plastic 'bassXpander' inserts that go in the 6x9 hole and they actually do quite a good job on improving the low end. You can cute some of the plastic away (in the form of lil bumps) and tune it till you like the sound. Most head units have enough juice to run both the fronts and rear speakers, but its really up to you. Also 6x9 boxes will give you alot better and louder sound quality. I'd highly recommend running new, heavier guage wires if you are looking to improve sound quality -Otherwise its like doing nitro without upgrading your clutch....
G'luck man

danronian
12-20-2004, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't invest in an amp until you replace the speakers. An aftermarket HU will be enough to power the front and rear speakers to a certain point, beyond that you will need an amp. No matter what HU you have you will need an amp if you want to add a sub. Even without speaker baffles, like mentioned above, aftermarket 6.5"s in the doors will give alot more bass than the stock paper cones which probably are missing all of the foam around them. Once you decide how much you want to spend then think/research the brand of speakers you are looking to buy.
Then if you want more bass than the front speakers can give you, which is alot more than you have now, you then need to decide how much bass you want and then can decide if you just want some new 6X9s for the rear or if you want to just get a little or huge sub powered by an amp.

z3bra
12-20-2004, 11:34 AM
i just ran all front and back speakers off the hu, (6.5 3 ways) and amped my sub, works good for me