PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi Guys:

I need to replace the catylitic converter on my 89 accord. I'm failing the HC's on the smog check (around 240ppm). My 3G is a California model. However, I have seen plenty of cat-converters for non-California 3Gs. Would I pass California emmissions if I installed a non-California cat-converter on my car? I just can't pay $700.00 for a Honda cat-converter.

Autozone and Kragens have several cats on sale. Do you guys think they would work on my car?

Thanks,
Claude
1989 Accord DX-4DR KL-MT

A20A1
12-19-2004, 11:29 PM
are you sure the cats are different? like part numbers for each one? if they aren't then it's probably something else in the car that makes it conform to cali standards and not the cat.

Strugglebucket
12-20-2004, 01:45 AM
you can get a catco converter, which is c.a.r.b. compliant. about $80 from summit, i think. it says it's a direct bolt on for hondas/acuras but mine came with hanging rods welded to it that i had to cut in order to make it fit. the flanges line up perfect though.

btw, the hotter your converter is the better it works. on my beater car (88dx) which i refuse to spend money on, i wound up just reving the engine at about 4k for about 10 minutes or so right before i went to get it smogged. then i drove down to the smog station in 2nd gear the whole way, lol. it passed...just barely.

Blkblurr
12-20-2004, 06:31 AM
Did you check your oxygen sensors? It's what caused my 89 SE-i to fail for high HC.