PDA

View Full Version : Legal CAI

snoopyloopy
12-20-2004, 12:58 PM
I know AEM advertises their intakes as C.A.R.B. exempt in all 50 states, but are the ones on eBay like this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=7942671896&rd=1) legal as well?

86LXItooFAST4me
12-20-2004, 01:10 PM
just as long as you get all the vacumm lines hooked up it is legal. but how are they supposed to know that they arent hooked up unless they are a 3G expert. but this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=7942270179&rd=1
will be easier to instal. i tried making that one work and never could get it to work.

snoopyloopy
12-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Cool, thanx. And what exactly do the vacuum hoses do? So in the "what parts fit my car" thread, they're basically listed from closest fit to furthest?

86LXItooFAST4me
12-20-2004, 01:39 PM
im not sure what they do, i went to the part store and got a vacumm "Y" and drilled a hole in the CAI and got an assortment pack or those rubber garment things. and that was it.

i dont know about the "what fits what" thread but i had better luck with that one. ill have pics in a few weeks.

86LXItooFAST4me
12-20-2004, 01:47 PM
hey, and this thread might help too

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=28435&highlight=CAI+setup

snoopyloopy
12-21-2004, 10:05 AM
ok, cool. thnx. i got the intake on bid right now.

shepherd79
12-21-2004, 04:10 PM
sorry, but unless you get sticker from that company stating that this CAI is 50 states legal, it will be illigal CAI. you will never pass cali inspection without that sticker.

Justin86
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
yea even though it will pass but it won't pass the visual, but wtf the cops will still write you a ticket even if you have the carb sticker

snoopyloopy
12-21-2004, 09:59 PM
i can just switch it for the test then switch it back afterwards if it really causes that much problems.

88accordhb
12-21-2004, 10:03 PM
i can just switch it for the test then switch it back afterwards if it really causes that much problems.
that's wat i would do, when i got pulled over the cop asked if i had a sticker for my exhaust, soo i guess if i did, i wouldn't have gotten a ticket, maybe still for noise. but yah you need the sticker, from the company.

86LXItooFAST4me
12-22-2004, 04:59 AM
get one from another intake :D

modu03
12-26-2004, 02:12 AM
well... if you buy a kit for the 94-97 accord it should fit, i think you just need one cut to make it fit properly which is a perfect place to put a filter bypass in...

you have to have the sticker or it's not legal and unless you know someone, the smog tech will not pass it in california... either get one with the sticker or swap the stocker back in every smog

interesting fact: my car actually got a better smog rating with the short ram air intake than it did with the stock intake, but they still wouldn't smog it because it wasn't stock

MarioBurke
12-26-2004, 12:37 PM
For you Ca guys you need to learn the laws. As far as intake you are not allowed in anyway shape or form to modify your intake or smog devices. UNLESS, the modifications which are created do no conflict with state regulation or comply with The set vehicle pollutant levels set by CARB.

I will find the specific code for that later

Second, if you get pulled over and the officer cannot show you the full vehicle code when he tickets you, make sure to right it down. it will not stand in court. second if they do pull you over, they can give you a ticket. but if you have the CARb sticker, it wont stand it court.

Next if you make exhuast modifications. make sure you keep receipts for everything. by law the shop that installed your system is not supposed to sell you the system if;

they know it does not comply with sound level laws for CA. if you are to get ticketed for it you can actually take it back to the shop and by law they must pay your back your money and I believe for the ticket also.

make sure you exhuast does not go over the 90 db mark. Im sure the limit is 95 db but just be smart. if you do get ticketed for it, an easy way out of the ticket, and this is ACTUALLY stated in the code.

"Officer, when I bought the exhaust from "so and so shop" i was under the impression that is was compliant with the CA laws. I did not know it was outside the regulations."

part of the vehicle codes says you cannot be held accountable if you had understanding that the system sold to you was compliant with State regulations when it really wasnt.
just read your codes!~

shepherd79
12-27-2004, 05:24 AM
nicely said mario.

Dr._8t9LX
12-27-2004, 08:48 AM
I recently read in a Tuner magazine an artical that interviewed a cop in Cali about this stuff. He said the sticker don't mean $hit to him, I could print one with any computer. He said the part should have the exemption stamped into the metal. If it really is legal the company will do that I think, its good for business.

Also, I read somewhere if your old part has worn out you can replace it with new part. Our cars are old as the hills, we can't be expected to use stock parts on everything anymore.

Has anyone tried going to the DMV and asking for approval to modify to improve gas milege? seems like this should be legal. Should be some way to get mods approved.

modu03
12-27-2004, 06:07 PM
I recently read in a Tuner magazine an artical that interviewed a cop in Cali about this stuff. He said the sticker don't mean $hit to him

well... he can ticket you, but it won't stand up in court, as long as you have that c.a.r.b. number on there, it's legal...

well... technically... the problem is that because noone makes intakes specifically for our vehicles, even with the carb number it's not legal... but you should get away with it anyway. i have been pulled over a number of times, never have they asked to look at my engine bay or anything like that, so you really only have to worry about the smog shop and they don't check to make sure the carb # is for your vehicle, as long as it's a legitimate sticker number

MarioBurke
12-27-2004, 09:32 PM
well... he can ticket you, but it won't stand up in court, as long as you have that c.a.r.b. number on there, it's legal...

well... technically... the problem is that because noone makes intakes specifically for our vehicles, even with the carb number it's not legal... but you should get away with it anyway. i have been pulled over a number of times, never have they asked to look at my engine bay or anything like that, so you really only have to worry about the smog shop and they don't check to make sure the carb # is for your vehicle, as long as it's a legitimate sticker number

yeah its true you will mostly still get a ticket because for the MOST part cops are dick heads. It does not matter how much you explain to them about the constant cycle when they were younger and hott rodding Camaros and mustangs. It will be the same when the younger generation get there and starts crackin down on kids trickin out their hydrogen based flying cars.

Point is In CA we get the short end of the stick. I read an amazing article, and i cant remember but i think i found it here, about a tuner that actually went to the meeting of the board members that actually make the California Air Resource Board. C.A.R.B. The meeting was basically open to NINE members and the public. NINE members make up the CARB laws and 3 showed up. The group is basically made up of members that really dont know anything about smog. When asked why a turbed car that was properly tuned and produced almost NO emission, couldnt be road driven, yet an old 66 mustang could drive around with no emission controls at all, the only answer the board could come up with was....... 'uh...... I can't ....give you an answer' this only further shows that no matter how we struggle to fight them its a useless battle.

saying that....

my suggestion for those Intakes is to make it a CAI. Use the method in the how too section that only uses the 2 in piping. Then find a 94-97 stock rubber piping and cover the entire CAI with the stock piping and make sure all the proper lines are attached. I find this to be the best way to get around cops ticketing you, because at a quick glance and even a double take it all appears stock.

good luck

Strugglebucket
12-27-2004, 10:10 PM
When asked why a turbed car that was properly tuned and produced almost NO emission, couldnt be road driven, yet an old 66 mustang could drive around with no emission controls at all, the only answer the board could come up with was....... 'uh...... I can't ....give you an answer' this only further shows that no matter how we struggle to fight them its a useless battle.

shit like that gives me high blood pressure.

IMO, emissions testing should be just that: what comes out of your exhaust. all that other crap is bullshit.