PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Tranny giving me problems.

Immeraufdemhund
12-21-2004, 01:30 PM
A while ago i was driving to my aunts house and missed the turn so i of course slowed down, stopped, then tried going again but the car stalled as if i popped the clutch. Problem is it was super slippery (as it always is in northern MN) so i couldn't have cause my tires would have spun. So i tried tightening the clutch cable just a little bit more just in case..didn't help. So I took it out of gear and went to the nearest house and asked him if he could move me off the highway. Well when he started dragging me i saw that my drivers side tire was spinning backwards... I didn't look at the passanger side when it did it cause i figured i was still in gear. Well it was in 3rd gear but i could have sworn i left it in Neutral. I turned back on the car (still while be dragged cause i was on ice it didn't matter if my car was fighting or not) and pulled it out of 3rd. I could hear a rattling in the tranny, which i figured was just a chuck of the release bearing or something.

well my dad came and tried dragging me in his s10 but we didn't get half out of this dudes driveway before i gave up. I tried just keeping the clutch held and constantly checked to see if it was in "neutral". The stick always said it was in N but the tires said differently. so i just had the car towed back to my garage. I got the tranny out figuring that my clutch was a gonner. But the disk looks like the new on but a little glazed. Just about the same thickness. The fingeres on the pressure plate have a copper ring were the release bearing is but nothing bent. I can't figure if putting in a new clutch kit is going to fix it or not. the car only has 128,000 miles on it, my old tranny from my hb had 231,000 and still works great. I've been hearing that my tranny is most likly shot, so i've been considereing going to get my old tranny but it's under a meter of snow (0.000568 a mile of snow). any guesses?

AZmike
12-21-2004, 02:23 PM
It sounds like the transmission is the problem. Something is preventing the differential from from spinning so the less heavily loaded front wheel spins backward since the gears inside the differential still are free to move. Even if the clutch was bad, in neutral the differential should still be free to spin to matter what.

Immeraufdemhund
12-22-2004, 08:59 PM
When i got the tranny out i tried spinning the flywheel shaft (is that the input shaft?) with the tranny in N, and nothing turned were the axles would go(which was different than when it was in my car). I put her in gear and she didn't spin, but then again i was told that is normal since it takes a little bit more than just hand power to turn. besides taking the tranny apart anything else i can check?

AccordEpicenter
12-22-2004, 09:12 PM
no these trannys are all ball bearing, you should be able to turn them in any gear by the mainshaft. If it wont turn while in gear by hand the tranny is fuct, it shouldnt be toooo hard to turn.

Immeraufdemhund
12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
whew! i got my new tranny from my old car and it turns soooo easy...well compared to the bad one. I'm might take them both apart and make one good one. I'm downloading the manuel right now, but is there anything that will pop out and fly away or come loose when i take all the bolts out? anything or special way that it comes out? do any of the seals (if it has any) need to be replaced if i take it apart? GUess i dont really want to spend a bunch of money on it. Also is there anything i should look for that would indicate a part is fixing to die?

thanx

AccordEpicenter
12-29-2004, 04:20 PM
some parts are left handed thread. Ideally you should replace all the seals and bearings as well as syncro gearts when you have them apart (ideally)

AZmike
12-29-2004, 11:39 PM
I'd probably replace the main shaft seal, the shifter shaft seal and boot as a minimum. It's pretty easy to inspect the brass syncros for wear. I'd replace any that were gone, but chances are with two trannies to pull from you'll have at least one of anything that's in acceptable shape. Check the splines for 5th gear on both the main and countershafts and gears. I've seen a few cases where the countershaft splines chewed through the splines on the 5th gear--probably due to poor lubrication though. Be sure to follow the factory manual's procedure for torquing the 30 mm nuts. Good luck.

Immeraufdemhund
01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
another one bites the dust! i got 200 miles on this tranny. so i'm figuring it's more than just the tranny. Everything went together great, didn't have one problem. I'm glad i had a good radio in the car for the 30 min ride home... OH GOD IT WAS TERRIBLE. those poor gears and bearing flying everywere... such lovely sounds it made! Some one mentioned a bearing that is past the flywheel that should have been replaced.. is that true???

i dowbt i'm going to fiddle with it much more, i think i'm going to go after my 91' accord ex! (can't wait!).

AZmike
01-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Were they talking about the pilot bearing (which our cars do not have)?

Immeraufdemhund
01-19-2005, 05:27 PM
i think that sounds right. he was talking about it was behind the flywheel of his 73 falcon...or was that a 63..hmm can't remember. but yah the input shaft i guess goes in that.