PDA

View Full Version : My New 3G... A Good Deal? (Pics)

Tespo87AccordDX
12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
This is my second 3G. I just got it on Sunday. It's an '86 LX Sedan.
Pros:
Power Windows, Locks, and Mirrors
New Tires (90%)
Tinted Windows
New White Paint Job
New Sony Head Unit
Great A/C for FL weather
ONLY 92K Original Miles!
3rd Owner
No scuffs, dings, tears, or scratches on the exterior or interior!
It drives great!

Cons:
Needs new CV Joints**
Needs new Valve Cover Gasket
Needs new oil
Needs new Power Steering Fluid
Other than those minor needs, it's great!
One problem with the tranny... When I switch it into D4 (Drive), the car jerks hard, then it's okay. What could this be?
**About the CV Joints... I don't know what these are, this is just what the seller said I needed. How much do these cost to replace? Is it dangerous to keep driving without replacing them?

Oh, and I paid $1000. Did I get a good deal? He was asking $1400 then changed it to $1200 then I got him down to $1000.

This is my 2nd 3G. My first (which I got for free) was very good to me while it lasted. This is a big step up as my 1st was a no-optioned standard 215K-mi DX.

For pics of both 3Gs: Click Here (http://tespo125.homestead.com/eBay.html)

buds302
12-21-2004, 02:08 PM
it seems to me that nobody knows what cv joints are and how to replace them.
c.v. joints, or constant velocity joint. it is at both ends of the axles on front wheel drive and some 4wd models. the honda crv has them all the way around. it is the same as a universal joint.(as some of those rwd people know.) the only difference is ,is the cv joint is packed with grease and covered by a boot. the universal joint does not. if you look behind any of the front wheels and see the long shaft that has a black boot on both ends then thats the axle, underneath the boot is the cv joint.and take it from everybody here cv joints are a bitch to replace. it is easierand faster to replace the entire axle then to try and fight with the cv joint.

buds302
12-21-2004, 02:14 PM
oh yeah you can drive the car with bad cv joints but dont take corners really hard. you can lengthen the life by takin it easy. when you take a turn and start to hear the clicking sound ease up on the speed of the turn. whatever you do dont just crank the wheel and mash the pedal. this will dramatically reduce the life. and when they break.....well then sorry about your luck.and they arent that expensive to replace seeing as how much they do

Tespo87AccordDX
12-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Ya I was wondering what that clicking noise was. If I replace the axle does this mean I also replace the CV Joints at the same time? What about the price for all this?

EDIT: Nvm, I figured it out. Thx, I went to www.partsamerica.com. Not only did I order from them, but they gave me all the info I needed.

Tespo87AccordDX
12-21-2004, 02:38 PM
So did I get a good deal or what?

NXRacer
12-21-2004, 04:32 PM
you didnt get a GOOD deal, but its not bad either. A GOOD deal would have been for under $1000. It looks pretty clean from the pictures. Too bad its carbed and not fuel injected though.

Luis 89LXi
12-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Nice car, i use to have this same Sony HU. I make it work whit the SE-i remote steering controls.

take a look at this thread if you interested on this mod.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=28456&highlight=steering+wheel+controls

Luis

sporkHSP
12-21-2004, 08:32 PM
you have afew less miles than I do. I payed double that for mine, and i had to fix alot more, but mine was bought from the original owner with only 74,000 miles.

the jerking when shifting might be because the idle is too high, i know mine used to do that too if i didnt let the car warm up before i drove off, check how high the idle is when you start it up and let me know.

HondaBoy
12-21-2004, 09:40 PM
i dunno, that looks pretty clean to me. the axles shouldnt be too much. if you know how to replace them yourself you'll save a lot of money. as for CV axles being the same as universal joint axles, they arent exactly the same. if you've ever taken apart a CV axle, you'll see this ring thing with ball bearing looking things inside. a universal joint looks nothing like this. sorta the same concept, except the universal joint wont turn more slowly or faster than the oposite axle when turning.

blazin3gen
12-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Nice car, i use to have this same Sony HU. I make it work whit the SE-i remote steering controls.

take a look at this thread if you interested on this mod.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=28456&highlight=steering+wheel+controls

Luis

yo tambien

cept mine was sony cdx 1300

Tespo87AccordDX
12-21-2004, 10:53 PM
In regard to the new axle and CV joints, what exactly is a core charge? When I order from partsamerica.com, should I get the axles with the core charge or the axles without the core charge?

truetune
12-22-2004, 10:42 AM
if you get with a core charge you have to send the old axles back to get that money back(the core charge) or you can just keep them and not get the money. I would get the ones without a core though cuz id be less hassel. You could always get your axles from autozone. and then do the core charge with them id be easyier and cheeper. if any of that is wrong feel free to correct me.

jigga225
12-22-2004, 08:01 PM
shid, i think you got a good deal man.
a 3G wit under 100k yeah baby-yeah