PDA

View Full Version : headlight bulbs, grrrr

HondaBoy
12-21-2004, 11:04 PM
ok, well i have been using GE super blue bulbs in my H4 conversions. now i do know you arent to touch the glass, so thats not the problem. the problem is that the bulbs keep burning out, like they will last for 8-9 months then burn out. like today, i was leaving and i turn on the lights, one burns out. i put in a spare bulb i had. later when i was leaving my moms the other side went out. this seems to be happening to this brand that i've bought. i dunno, maybe its due to the fact that they are used a lot, most of my driving is night driving. just on the weekends alone, they will get 10-15 hours of use, thats on average. then during the week its maybe 3-5 hours. maybe thats the reason the went out. i dont know, but i went and got some new ones. i guess i'll know if these last longer. i'll date the package they came in and see how long until i gotta put new ones in. and there's not a problem of water getting in either, i've solved that problem with RTV sealant around the rubber boot.

jonrichert
12-21-2004, 11:07 PM
h4's only seem to last me about a year if they see a lot of usage. i've been lucky getting warranty from piaa on more than one occasion.

shepherd79
12-22-2004, 03:21 AM
i bet you have some water inside the headlights and that is not a good sign.
you may as well start looking for new H4 housings. I had my lights for over 2 years. everything is fine.

dXsquared
12-22-2004, 04:14 PM
i got 6 months outta my Silvania Silverstars :(

Travis

NXRacer
12-22-2004, 04:29 PM
from what i've seen and experience, its not uncommon for H4's to burn out. I've only heard and seen good things about the silverstars though. At ~$25 a piece, they are kinda expensive.

HondaBoy
12-22-2004, 09:54 PM
nah, i said i dont have water in the housings. remember, i made sure to seal the rubber boot with sealant? well anyway, i did have the water problem with my old housings, those were damaged to shit, so i have these newer ones. they shine better too. ok, so i put in these new bulbs, not the same brand as i've been using. they are wagoner brand. everything i've bought from them seems to last a long time, so hopefully this will be good luck. if they had water on the bulb, they will pretty much explode and shatter glass all over. heh, that happened to my friend, he didnt listen to me about sealing up his old headlights. anyway, these also seem to shine better than the GE bulbs. now they're bright enough i dont need the bottom driving lights on, although, that makes it brighter too which is always good.