PDA

View Full Version : Header appearance options

bc86
12-22-2004, 02:43 PM
I just removed my header, and need to do something to make it look less rusty.. Aside from chrome, any other ideas??

NXRacer
12-22-2004, 03:29 PM
are you talking about a real header or the exhaust manifold?? Either way, you could try painting it with high temp paint. They make BBQ paint that holds up to about 1200 degrees or so.

bc86
12-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Talkin about real header... I dont think high heat paint will hold up...

NXRacer
12-22-2004, 04:27 PM
well they do make header paint. Or you could have it ceramic coated. thats about your only option.

bc86
12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Umm, well thanks for the help.

SavageG
12-27-2004, 09:56 PM
I used flat black header paint on my pacesetter (plasticoat I think). It was about two months ago and the paint still looks exactly like the day I put it on :cool: I don't think that you could get it any hotter than I have, and oil drips (opps!) have not left visible marks.
One thing that I did, and would highly recommend is either using a power wire brush or sanding before application. I also followed the directions and cured it in stages for as long as possible.

HondaBoy
12-27-2004, 10:30 PM
engine paint. i prefur duplicolor myself. my friend did his engine with duplicolor engine paint, its held up for over a year, its like a ceramic finish that's left. like they said, oil and other crap doesnt really hurt it. i'll probley do mine with the duplicolor paint when i get the header, like after the paint has peeled off. i'm assuming you have the pacesetter.

Justin86
12-28-2004, 09:10 AM
yea just use the 1200 ceramic paint, that what i have on my pos pacesetter

hondamanlxi
12-28-2004, 09:15 AM
i wish i could give my header the polished/blued look. I think if i got down to bare metal it would look like crap

bc86
12-28-2004, 04:29 PM
ONe thing one of my buddies has done with his car, is sand and polish down all the medal in his engine bay.. He doesnt have a header, so he did not do it to that, but he did to it do the medal part that goes over the exuast.. He said it has not turnished due to heat..

danronian
12-28-2004, 05:48 PM
If you polish the steel header it will just rust and look worse unless you use clear high-temp paint over it.
Generally the only way to make a plain steel header stay looking descent is getting it ceramic coated from new or by stripping it when new (rust free) and painting it with high heat paint and then cure it properly.
For your situation the only possibly way you might get it to look decent again is by somehow removing all of the rust scale and then use high heat paint on it. THe problem is that the rust will come back unless it is removed entirely.

Justin86
12-29-2004, 10:06 AM
yea the only way to get the polished look and have it last is use stainless, regular steel will rust unless you put some clear coating on it.