PDA

View Full Version : Guage question

bc86
12-22-2004, 04:56 PM
IM planning on changing guage lights to blue leds.. Does anybody have any info that would assist me? Also.. I have a question about part of the guage...

I have no digi, so I will explain the best I can.. Top of the cluster, there are 2 wires going to a rectangle piece.. There r 2 bulbs in this piece.. There is also wut looks like a black cover with 3 weird slits in it which would allow light through.. Wut is this and wut does it do? Can this b modded?

Hoppin Hatchie
12-22-2004, 05:16 PM
the rectangular piece you speak of is for the lights that shine on your needles, without them you can hardly see them at night.

jonrichert
12-22-2004, 05:31 PM
back in the day, i took out the blue cover and soldered two blue 12V bulbs in place of the stock lights.

bc86
12-22-2004, 05:47 PM
back in the day, i took out the blue cover and soldered two blue 12V bulbs in place of the stock lights.

How did that work for ya?

jonrichert
12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
How did that work for ya?
i thought it was cool at the time, i'm sure blue led's would produce a much nicer light. you could try running those with the stock blue cover too, experiment around and see what works best. most light through the blue cover comes through very greenish, but it might look nice with some led's.

bc86
12-22-2004, 08:26 PM
i thought it was cool at the time, i'm sure blue led's would produce a much nicer light. you could try running those with the stock blue cover too, experiment around and see what works best. most light through the blue cover comes through very greenish, but it might look nice with some led's.

I would need one led per number!! Thats alot of leds and resistors...

bc86
12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Well, played around.. Those bulbs u can buy that come blue, acutally look green.. Much like the covers that r on the clear bulbs.. So the project begins, leds it is.. If anybody has any usefull information on wiring leds it would be much appreciated. I am going to have to find a power wire which turns on with my lights.. As cool as a toggle switch would b.. Any suggestions?