PDA

View Full Version : Carb Options, lol, no Not The Foods

HondaBoy
12-23-2004, 09:18 PM
i have the option of going to the junk yard and getting one for pretty cheap. although i dont know how good it will be or if it will work at all. i could end up wasting money on that idea. i have found remanufactured carbs online. seems the parts stores i've gone to cant get a replacement carb for me. i wanted to know, does it really matter if the carb has the option of having A/C or not having it. personally i'm not fixing the A/C on my car, so i'd rather just leave that off. i'm think the description that says w/AC and w/oAC is talking about having or not having an A/C vac line or something? anyway, the one with out A/C is cheaper, thats why i wanted to know. i dont know, but winter seems to be giving some of us problems with our carbs. other than warming up issues, wish that was all to worry about now.

if you want to know why i need a new carb, look here.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=40143

A20A1
12-23-2004, 10:02 PM
The A/C one has one extra vacuum port on the A/C idle boost diaphragm... if you save the entire A/C idle boost linkage/diaphragm from the right (Float Bowl) side of the carb you have now then you should be able to swap it onto the non A/C carb...

Try to keep the entire carb if the rebuild place doesn't ask for a core exchange.

HondaBoy
12-23-2004, 10:43 PM
well if i do get an already rebuilt carb, i wasnt planning on giving them my old one. i really dont know if i need a whole new carb now though, its doing fine other than that one thing leaking. gotta keep my mind open for other stuff though if the carb is worse than i think it is.

HondaBoy
12-24-2004, 09:23 PM
my uncle that lives in houston, i nick named him the honda guy, called and was telling me that his buddy's junk yard had just got 7 accords in. said they had a bunch of good stuff, interiors, body, trannys, and the carbs completely intact. he told me he would go and check them out next week. he said since he can get one for maybe $30 or $40 he would get one for me if i really wanted one. if so, i suppose i'll ask him and have him send it. guess that would be better than me going and getting one since he could maybe send some extra stuff with it. anyway, there's another way to fix my problem.

A20A1
12-26-2004, 07:25 PM
teah buy the junk yard carb clean it up and rebuild it... then swap it with your carb.

HondaBoy
12-27-2004, 11:45 AM
well, i went and got the one at the junk yard. lucky for me nobody had taken it yet. it was sitting inside the car which is good because if it was in the engine bay, i'm sure it'd be crap by now. picked it up for $20. it needs one vacuum solenoid thing replaced, its made of plastic. everything opened and closed well after i sprayed it down with some carb cleaner, doesnt stick now. i think i may put this one on because when i drove my car last, it drove like shit! had no power and leaked even more fuel than last i drove it. the part that's leaking has like 3 screws holding it on, can also be removed with a socket instead of screw driver. ah, for $20, cant really pass that up. its worth it to have an extra carb. i'm still wanting to go to the rebuild shop and see what they can do for me.

HondaBoy
12-27-2004, 07:25 PM
ok, i looked that carb over. looks decent. the little fuel window thing has not nasty gunk inside it. looks clean. should i worry about the seals shrinking? since its sat for a while. not for more than 2 years though. i bought the 2 gaskets i needed if i'm going to bolt it on.

A20A1
12-28-2004, 12:35 AM
So it's dirty inside? Clean out the fuel bowl and the jets... it's best to do that before you install the carb. The top hat gasket should be replaced though... it's a paper gasket, the carb only has two papaer gaskets if I remember right... one between the EFE plate and the manifold and the top hat gasket.

I think I had a link somewhere on how to clean the fuel bowl.

HondaBoy
12-28-2004, 11:01 AM
the window looked clean from what i could see. i found your instructions on how to take the top hat thing off and clean it up. that doesnt look too hard, like i wont have to worry about losing any major parts. what gasket set does that top hat gasket come with? just a regular repair kit that i can get at somewhere like autozone?

A20A1
12-28-2004, 11:10 AM
it comes with the rebuild kit... or you can make your own

A20A1
12-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Gasket v 2.0
There is one hole that is covered up with this gasket... lay the used gasket over the print out if you want to cut out the hole otherwise leave the new gasket as is and only cut what is marked. doubl check to see that the print out matches the size of the original gasket... I did add wider asket areas to make the gasket more sturdy.

I'm not sure how big a hand held hole puncher is but it should make a clean cut for the bolt holes and the other holes as well as giving you rounded corners to avoid tears.

Print @ 300 DPI

EDIT: Hmm Try printing it out at 4.75"

EDIT 2: I changed the image so it should print out okay as is at 300dpi, just double check to see that it's 4.75"

You should be able to print directly on a thin brown gasket sheet... just cut it to the size of a regular paper... and pop it in the ink jet.

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3843

HondaBoy
12-28-2004, 03:57 PM
thanks for the gasket pic, that may be helpful later on if i ever need to make one. i bought the carb kit today. there's the rubber diaphrams that i need, i'll maybe replace a few more that just that one. now, should i just leave the needle/seat assembly alone? is that where most people have problems? i dont know if i want to touch things like the mixture adjust screw thing, as taking it out. that may cause some problems on my part. and the choke assembly, i dont know if i want to be taking that apart either. i'm worried i could mess something up. i think i'm going to try putting some of the parts onto my original carb, and save the other carb i got for getting a rebuild and rejetted. if there's any tips you can give me, go ahead. i just want my baby running right again. at least with out fuel leaking! cant risk a fire, that'd probley do more damage than anything else, although i have an extinguisher just in case. i think i'll at least take my carb off right now, so i can have a look see at what i think i want to do.

ok, now i've finished taking the carb off my car. i took a long time because i marked all the vac lines that go into the carb itself. it was a bitch with all those lines, even then i'd rather work on the top of the engine rather than the bottom. i dont feel like shit like i did after working under the car. well, anything y'all wanna add is welcome. like tips or something like that. not sure when i'll actually get anything really done though, i've gotta go into work early tomorrow and the next day. i tried getting around taking all the vac lines off. i left some on the metal distribution lines thing that's on the back side of the carb. i really want to replace some lines though, i have an extra vacuum distibutor thing if i bent that up too much.

HondaBoy
12-29-2004, 05:15 PM
i'm gonna try and see what i can do on this carb now. more or less, its taking something apart and putting it back together. i'm pretty good at getting stuff right like this, so i think i'll have luck with it.