PDA

View Full Version : LEaking between tranny and engine

887lxi
12-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Hey whatsup guys im new here but i have a question i have a stick 87 lxi and between the tranny and the engine its leaking oil i figure its a seal but witch one?

smufguy
12-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey whatsup guys im new here but i have a question i have a stick 87 lxi and between the tranny and the engine its leaking oil i figure its a seal but witch one?

if its leaking oil bwt the tranny and the block, trace it back to the top. Its usually the Distributor O-ring (the O ring inside the distributor) is busted. Change it and clean the whole area

It could also be ur valve cover gasket, but usually they leak down the bottom of the block over the pan

If nothing works, then see if you have any cracks on the tranny case

also check and see if there is any leaks near where the axle pops in the trans.

NOTE: A handy tool would be a carb cleaner, spray on the oil soaked areas so that once they dry up and u inspect it, it will be easier to detect or trace where they originate.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Also the rear main crank seal will cause oil leakage between the motor and tranny. You can put dye in your oil and after running it for a bit, use a UV light to find where it's leaking. Works very well!

HondaBoy
12-24-2004, 11:25 AM
my distributor O ring is leaking but it runs down the front of the engine and doesnt reach the bottom of it. and when my valve cover gasket had leaked, it didnt run down to the tranny. the thing leaking that would leave oil down to the tranny is the oil filter base gasket, this is the gasket in between the block and oil filter base where it bolts onto the engine. i know mine has given me trouble and i still need to fix that. also, maybe the oil pan gasket, i know after i changed that i dont have much oil leaking onto the tranny anymore.

all the things we've listed are common problems you might find. doing the UV test is most conclusive though and cheaper than going through gaskets.