PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor

Slipknotcraig133
12-24-2004, 04:42 PM
im going to replace my o2 sensor hopefully tonite. I got one and then i went outside to pull off the old one and noticed that it wasnt as easy as planned. Not really tight on space just tight as hell. I was wondering if anybody that has had to replace there o2 sensor knows any easy ways of getting it off. If i cant get it off, i have a stock header that i will just put the o2 sensor in and put that header in.

88Accord-DX
12-24-2004, 07:04 PM
I've replaced a few on different model cars. I had to put a torch on it & heat it up to break it lose. Most of them are on there pretty freakin' tight. There is possibility you can strip it out without some kind of rust penatration or a torch. Good luck!

Slipknotcraig133
12-24-2004, 11:24 PM
yea i was thinking of trying some wd40 or something like that

88Accord-DX
12-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, being that it is on there so freakin' tight, WD-40 sometimes won't cut it. Don't use an open end wrench on it. It will strip the 02 sensor. I doubt you have the right kind of socket to break it off. (it has an open side on it to slide on it)
Your best bet since you might not have the right socket to slide over the O2 sensor is to use a FLARE NUT WRENCH, but I doubt you will have enough room to move the wrench, but I don't know at this moment. If you can't break it lose man, you need a torch to heat it up. I'm telling you that s.o.b. is on there tight.... Let us know how much trouble you had getting it off, cause I know it is on there tight.

*edit* If you can take off the wires to it, then you might can slide a box end wrench over it, haven't tried it on our year Accords yet. (but I don't think it would work) Just a suggestion though. You need to get the best bite you can on the 02 sensor so you don't strip it so bad you can't work with it.

Slipknotcraig133
12-26-2004, 07:51 PM
allright yea i was going to mess with it tonite but it snowed a few inches so i cant really work. I have friend with a torch and we might but that thing to use. I was outside about breaking my back last night trying to get it off

IN_ONE_ACCORD
12-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Use liquid wrench, better than WD40 at penetrating. Pour/spray some onto threads, then wait 10 min., wipe excess off where the wrench goes and hit wrench with hammer. You can also get an O2 socket (much easier in tight spaces) and won't break
the wires...only about $5.

Oldblueaccord
12-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Use liquid wrench, better than WD40 at penetrating. Pour/spray some onto threads, then wait 10 min., wipe excess off where the wrench goes and hit wrench with hammer. You can also get an O2 socket (much easier in tight spaces) and won't break
the wires...only about $5.

Run it a while the heat from the exhuast is your friend on this one. I use PB blaster but any of those will work.

wp

Slipknotcraig133
12-27-2004, 04:59 PM
ill try the running it a while. I could see that working. Then here comes my luck. Im going to touch it. lol. O well i want it fixed thanks.

nappyroots827
12-27-2004, 11:45 PM
i tried getting my o2 sensor out of my manifold while it was in my car, and no luck...then when i was doing my efi swap, my manifold was out and i was like maybe ill give it a whack will i have some room, but even with my fat friend standing on the manifold, it wouldn't budge, so we actually drove my friends blazer up ontop of the manifold to hold it in place, slipped a socket on there and put a huge pole on the wrench for some leverage, turns out we stripped the manifold, so i needed a whole new manifold...that beehotch was tight, and running without an o2 sensor doesn't sound too good, take that from me

Slipknotcraig133
12-28-2004, 02:36 AM
I have a few extera manifolds. Im just about to take one of them and put the sensor in it and drop the exhaust down and just put a new manfold in. Seems like it would be easier that way just that pipe going from the header to the egr seems like a pain to work with