PDA

View Full Version : h4 bulb wattage

MC Pee Pants
12-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I received a set of bulbs that are rated at 100/80W.

Will the wires on my 89 DX coupe melt?

HondaBoy
12-26-2004, 01:40 PM
ah, the return of MC pee pants http://re2.mm-b.yimg.com/image/769405909. lol. wuts up, now some people have said that they had no problems running bulbs with that wattage rating. but many more said they had some things go wrong, many times just with the plug, and others with the wires themselves. if you want to go with wattage that high, you can redo the wiring yourself or buy a univeral wiring kit for high watt bulbs. i've seen some of those kits at the auto parts stores. personally, i wouldnt risk messing things up, i'd redo the wiring before i got high watt bulbs put in. that's what i had to do for my fog lights, they were wired for 55 watt bulbs, when i put 100 watt in the wiring got messed up, so i rewired it all with 14 gauge wire i bought at home depot.

SavageG
12-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm running 90/130w bulbs with some of my wireing upgraded and haven't had any problems. The underhood wireing is new 14ga but all the underdash is original, no problems with overheating yet. Soldered conections will be able to pass more current with less heat.

rideredorgohome
12-26-2004, 04:53 PM
I would be tempted to go with a super white bulb (like PIAA or Sylvania if you don't want to pay the premium for PIAA) b4 I would go with a bulb is that high wattage. Super whites give better vision without jeopardising your electrical system by drawing too much power. My boss replaced his regular H4's in his truck with PIAA super whites and he says that he barely ever uses his High beams anymore. Also these bulbs generally last much longer because they are of very high quality. Just a thought.....

Vanilla Sky
12-26-2004, 07:41 PM
[i like candy]honestly, you need to upgrade your wiring on these cars for anything above stock... these wires are old, and that's a lot of current going across them... i plan on using 10 guage on mine when i do it... overkille, of course... i'll be using relays and everything so i'm pulling power directly from the battery and not through the rest of the car's wiring...
i know they are available, but could you guys point me to a store that carries the plugs for our cars that can take large wiring? the only ones i find are prewired...

and you guys need to check out www.mcchris.com...[/i like candy]

shepherd79
12-27-2004, 05:34 AM
if you are going to run this bulbs on your stock car, you will have 50/50 chance of melting the wires. i have seen stupid people with melted wires just because they were cheap and didn't buy better bulbs or didn't buy wiring upgrade.