PDA

View Full Version : 5 Speed oil fill bolt stuck

AZmike
07-31-2002, 09:41 AM
I can't get my transmission fill bolt loose. I know it's not just a case of 'use a longer wrench' since I can see that the bolt's head has already deformed a little bit from my attempts. The bolt has sort of a built-in washer so I haven't had much luck using the PB Blaster I bought a few weeks ago since it can't get pasts the washer to the threads (I'm guessing).

Any suggestions? Is this a common problem?

Dutchboy
07-31-2002, 10:17 AM
make sure you use the right size socket on it and turn it the right way and it should come undone...
normally they come off better when using a breaker bar or a ratchet with a bar on it for the extra leverage.

mine came off easy all the time...it is in an awkward place tho...
good luck

POS carb
07-31-2002, 10:25 AM
the drain bolt in my auto was stuck so i got an old craftsman 3/8 inch ratchet, a jack, and a brick. i raised the car, put the ratchet on the bolt, and set the brick under the ratchet. i then proceeded to SLOWLY lower the car and therefore effectively appplied the car's weight to turn the bolt. only problem with this is if that bolt breaks you're never gonna get it out again, there's also the chance you put the ratchet on wrong and end up tightening the shit.

guaynabo89
07-31-2002, 10:54 AM
If you already stripped the head you can either get a socket thats a size smaller and jam it on or try using a vice grip with a bar on the handle for leverage.

Its a fairly weak bolt and strips very easy so be carefull.

anchovies
07-31-2002, 11:59 AM
i hate stripped bolts

1988starter
07-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Well I did the same thing once. First thing is go get a new bolt from a dealership it was 13 dollars for mine then go get a pipe wrench a medium sized one or it wil not fit and attach the wrench to the large outer part of the bolt and turn use a pipe around the wrench if you need more leverage. Good luck.

rocky2
07-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Get hammer and chisel out of tool box. Now pick a good spot to chisel a indet where a second blow will allow room for swing of hammer to have clearance, must be real good handling these tools. Remember counter-clockwise.

headtrip
08-01-2002, 01:25 PM
IMPACT WRENCH!

AZmike
09-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Ok, last weekend I decided that the fill bolt was finally going to come out. Using an 18 inch breaker bar and a new 17 mm 6 point socket I rounded the head off. Next I tried a vise grip. It gripped really tight and using part of a jack stand I was able to turn it. The bottom the bolt ended up with deep teeth marks and now the top was even rounder.

So now the head of the bolt is a real mess and the bolt is still stuck. I may have a slow tranny fluid leak and I don't want to bake my 5 th gear so I'd like to get this thing open soon. I'm hoping I can do it with it on the car. There's not a lot of room to work with so drills and chisels are pretty much out. Has anyone tried using a torch? I don't want to harm the transmission, axles, etc. The idea was to heat the bolt up and then cool it off rapidly by water quenching and then ice. Hopefully that would break the threads free.

So does that sound like it would work? Any other recommendations?

1988starter
09-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Pipe wrench around the THICK part trust me but go buy a new bolt first.

smufguy
09-04-2002, 08:28 AM
okay, this is the last remote thing u gotta do if nothing else works. Go to the junk yard and get the bolt u need. u dont need a 13 dollar shit from the dealter. set half a day for your work. use a heat gun or a blowdryer (hair dryer) and heat the bolt as much as u can. get the pipe wrench and turn it, its gonna turn no matter what if its heated good. if nothing works use a drill in a slow rpm and drill a holle thru the bolt and make sure u dont get much of the metal crap inside the tranny. once u have a nice hole, it should turn . hope something works for you bro. have a good one and good luck