PDA

View Full Version : Rear motor mount replacement

brfan
12-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Can someone give me some insight on repairing a rear motor mount on a 88 Accord Lxi?

Any special tools needed?

Thanks!!

HondaBoy
12-27-2004, 11:40 AM
if its one on the bottom, you'll need a jack to lift the engine up some to fit a new mount in there. i dont think you'd need to actually pull the engine. i'll tell you this though, it would be wise to replace the other mounts at the same time so they will wear like they are supposed to. many times if you replace just one of the major mounts, it will wear out quickly and really be ineffective to be replaced. i dont know that you'll need any special tools. maybe a breaker bar to get the bolt loosened.

danronian
12-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I attempted to replace my mounts a year or so back and your in luck b/c that is by far the easiest to replace. When I was replacing the T-bone bushings I found that the front mount was completely empty and entirely useless. I then got all of the mounts loose and the engine moved around enough for all but the front one which I bought for $70. The problem I had was that the bottom tranny mount bolts were completely seized in there and since the whole engine was covered with oil I couldn't torch them or the car would have went up in flames. Since I now think that the tranny mount bolts are only part of the mount, it doesn't matter if they break off so what I am going to do is just snap them off, take out that mount, replace the front and tranny mount and then I am going to fill the back one with polyurathane since that'll be alot cheaper than buying it. I know it won't do anything for performance b/c the rest are flimsy rubber but I just don't fell like spending another $70.
The one "trick" to the engine mounts is the tightening procedure, if you can get all of the mounts loose I would follow this procedure since I bet Honda had a reason to tighten them in that sequence b/c if you don't the engine will probably wear out engine mounts faster.