PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start (for prelude)

racerx
12-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Unlike the Accord, the 3rd gen prelude actually needs the clutch to be down to the floor before the ignition can work.
I know in some cars, there's a clutch override button which will allow you to turn the key and start the car without having to push the clutch down.

So, I'm thinking about getting a remote starter (and alarm, and keyless entry) but I'm not sure if the starter will even work with the 'lude.
Does anyone know how to, uh, make an override switch? Or how to make a remote system work in a manual tranny car if it was meant for an auto?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Leave it to the pros. And not best buy hahaha that's a joke. I had my Compustar remote starter/car alarm installed at www.sweetsounds.com They are the best in my area. Find a place like that to do it. It is possible to install them on manual transmissions. It cost me $50 more to have it done on my 5 speed. Best buy told me that its impossible to install remote starters on 5 speeds. I was like ok guess you went to school at Wal-Mart University.

I spent the big bucks on my system b/c I have a lot of money invested into the sound/ video system. And the remote start is awesome when its 30 below zero :)

And your car shouldnt start without the clutch pushed in. You must have something wrong with your car if you can do that.

-Mike

racerx
12-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Uh... My car SHOUDN'T start with the clutch pushed in?!?!!?!?!

Ok, seriously, a lot of cars need the clutch depressed, otherwise you can turn the key all day but nothing will happen. My friend's manual truck had that, and there was a "clutch override" button which, as explained above, would allow you to start the car without the clutch depressed.

My girl's 99 corolla has the same thing.

there is nothing wrong with my car.

The accord is one of the only cars I've seen that allow you to start the car in gear and without the clutch pushed in (with the exception of older cars).

Anyway, I've been sifting on eBay and I found a bunch of systems that are actually designed for manuals, but I still need to find out about the clutch override thing.

And Wal-Mart university is awesome. What are you talking about? They taught me that $60 RCA cables should replace my antenna wiring. Oh wait, that was SoundTrack. :D :D :bowrofl:

Mike's89AccordLX
12-27-2004, 03:39 PM
If you read my post correctly you would have read, "And your car shouldnt start without the clutch pushed in."

Meaning you need to have the clutch pushed in to start it. You can't just turn the key and not push the pedal down.

racerx
12-27-2004, 03:50 PM
oh... my bad... I'm just used to the colorfully unknowledgable people on... other boards...

Anyway, yeah, I thought something was weird with that (for the accord).

So do you have any idea on how to make an override?

Ludi Mali
12-27-2004, 03:53 PM
remote starts for mt's are a pain in the arse. Theres a series of things you have to do before you get out of the car, something like, put it in neutral, press the clutch once, press the brake 2x, and then get out and remote lock it. And if you don't do that every time it won't remote start. So if you unlock your car to just get something out and then lock it again, it won't remote start. Better to rig an auto system and just remember not to leave it in gear. Or don't park in front of solid objects :) best to find someone who knows what they are doing tho, i know a shop around here its only 150 installed for basic remote start (unit+labor) mt unit is like 75 more.

racerx
12-27-2004, 03:57 PM
heh, yeah, only the car will probably just run away down the road since it will continue to try and start...

so is it possible to hook up the AT kit? What I'm asking is: Is there some special difference between AT and MT kits, and how can I modify it to work with my car?

Ludi Mali
12-27-2004, 04:11 PM
the computer in the mt kits just forces you to have it in neutral. You can hook up the at kit if you can bypass teh clutch. which is definately doable, not sure how tho.

TJ89Accord
12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
There is a switch on the clutch pedal. Probably has 2 wires coming from it. When you press the clutch in, one wire will read ground (or maybe positive). Test the wires to see which one changes when the clutch is pushed in or out. you could permenantly bypass or just bypass it temp. when the remote starter is started. Use a 3rd ignition out wire from the starter (or a ground will started wire) to that. Sorry if this is confusing im real tired right now.