PDA

View Full Version : stock muffler inlet

2drSE-i
12-27-2004, 07:12 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, but i have a question
My stock muffler, which is still currently on my car
is rusting off....
i dont wanna do a full exhaust swap, i just want to replace the muffler, if at all possible just a bolt on one
Ok heres my question:
What size is the stock muffler inlet pipe on an 89 SE-i?

Thanks

HondaBoy
12-27-2004, 07:22 PM
i dont know if this is right for sure, but i believe its 1.75in pipe. it may even be 1.50in. if its one of those if i remember. i remember seeing clamp on mufflers that will be ok, but are usually not ment to last for too incredibly long. not as long as a stock muffler anyway. they usually have a flared end, i think i saw them at auto zone and pep boys. you could always measure the pipe if you cut the muffler off. here's an idea, how about putting a nice echo tip muffler on there? like a truck, lol.

2drSE-i
12-27-2004, 07:34 PM
u mean just cut the muffler off and leave it?
Ive heard thats better than actually having a muffler lol
and i dont get pulled over so emmissions is no problem :D

danronian
12-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Same thing happened to me and I replaced it with a thrush universal turbo muffler with a 2 in inlet and 2.25" outlet. It actually sounds much deeper than the OE muffler and it only cost $18. I did have to use some adapters to get it fit the rest of the exhaust though. If the stickers didn't melt off I could tell you the exact adapters but your best bet would be to measure it with a tape measure and use adapters to make a universal muffler fit.

2drSE-i
12-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Same thing happened to me and I replaced it with a thrush universal turbo muffler with a 2 in inlet and 2.25" outlet. It actually sounds much deeper than the OE muffler and it only cost $18. I did have to use some adapters to get it fit the rest of the exhaust though. If the stickers didn't melt off I could tell you the exact adapters but your best bet would be to measure it with a tape measure and use adapters to make a universal muffler fit.

o ok.......sounds good thanks
Because i really dont wanna go muffler-less, i want some backpressure lol

HondaBoy
12-29-2004, 08:52 PM
that was the one, a thrush muffler. that's the one i think i found at Pepboys.

danronian
12-31-2004, 05:08 PM
that was the one, a thrush muffler. that's the one i think i found at Pepboys.
I found it at National Auto and Advance. When I checked, stupid Pepboys only had flowmasters and glass-packs.