PDA

View Full Version : some serious probs

od2681
12-28-2004, 10:51 AM
ok here it goes
my car is leaking oil around the transmission area..its really minor now..but i dont know what it is....been over a month or so
my valves are making noises, might need adjustment...but when i start my car in the mornin..a poof of white smoke comes out of the exhaust...
talked to a my mech, he told me that the car might need a complete valve job
and as for the oil leak, he said he cant see cuzz its too damn dirty down there...everything is oil
so what do youy all think...
whats might be wrong with it..and is it worth fixing

AccordEpicenter
12-28-2004, 11:28 AM
depends what it is... these could be easy fixes

od2681
12-28-2004, 11:59 AM
tahts the thing i dont know hwat it is.....
my mech told me that my valves might be leaking...like because it only happens when my car has been parked overnight or somethin....
so they might just be leaking a bit of oil in the cylinder...and it burns off in the morning
he said for that you need a valve job..cost you around 300 bucks

86LXItooFAST4me
12-28-2004, 12:16 PM
get some simple green and a spong and clean the area up to see if you can spot it.

another way to help out is to get a big peace of cardboard and stick it under youre car below the engine/trans over night and check it for drips in the morning (or you can do it for like a 3-4 hour span depending on how bad the leak is. i like to do it over night if its my car) that will help you find out where the leak is coming from. at least point you in the right direction.

Oldblueaccord
12-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Mechanic means it has worn valve guides. Oil is leaking past the guides on shut down putting oil in the cylinders so when you start it in the morining its burns that oil for the first minute. No biggie! run it. Most people don't know that valves need to be adjusted every 12k miles so you see alot of this on late model Hondas.

wp

Immeraufdemhund
12-28-2004, 12:38 PM
hey you live in knoxville. so did i! i moved to MN mid april. did you ever visit Advance auto parts ummm.. oh crap i can't remember which one.. well north of south knoxville were i lived.

anywho. as for the valves, yah i wouldn't worry about it untill it makes it hard to start your car. the valve job seems a bit expensive. For the life of me i can't remember the mechanic i used to talk to for that sorta work. Lee was his name, and he used to have a shop on the corner of stone and chapman in south knoxville about a 3/4 mile south of kroger. but he moved. And the other person i know who does it wont do it for a honda. I tried. i have a number of a guy that might help you out guys name is James Lomax..pm me for his number. Another guy to check is a guy in west knoxville name is Lionel Flores, i have his number also if you want to pm for that

od2681
12-28-2004, 01:54 PM
so you think adjustment is all it needs for the burning oil part...
i have the general area of the leak located, but its too damn dirty..ima get some stuff that you recomended 86lxitoofast4me

Oldblueaccord
12-28-2004, 02:17 PM
so you think adjustment is all it needs for the burning oil part...
i have the general area of the leak located, but its too damn dirty..ima get some stuff that you recomended 86lxitoofast4me

Nope need a valve job to replace the guides and everything else prolly. The metal is worn and lets oil slip thru.

Yep I live in Knoxville also kinda wierd i lived in MN too Columbia/New brighton area. You gonna hate it up there lol

wp

AccordEpicenter
12-28-2004, 02:31 PM
You can drive indefinitly on bad valve seals... itll just smoke in the morning. Oil near the tranny is usually either a rear main seal, tranny axle shaft seals, a distributor o ring (somtimes a valve cover gasket). All but the rear main seal are easy and you can diy, the rear main requires you drop the tranny and take off the flywheel, but is a pretty cheap part (less than $40 i think) all the other gaskets/seals are much cheaper

accordlxi2.0
12-28-2004, 03:46 PM
i say your oil pan gasket is leaking, and the vavles just need to be adjusted.....
both are easy but somewhat time consuming

od2681
12-28-2004, 04:27 PM
oil pan gasket is cool
yeah my mech said it could be the rear main seal...

keruhas184
12-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Unless you're loosing lots of oil or have a big valve tap, don't worry about smoking in the morning. My car has been doing the same thing for a few years now, especially on cold nights - one time even cops rolled up to see if there was a fire :rofl:. You could adjust the valve clearances and replace the valve cover seal along the way to see if that would help though...

88Accord-DX
12-29-2004, 06:20 AM
It could be a rear main seal leaking by the tranny, I would do a valve clearance adjustment by no means before you go anything futher. White smoke is generally caused by a head gasket leaking to much water & will be noticable as time goes past.

There is some stuff at Autozone you could try to stop the leak, "stop leak" & if you don't want to go that route, pull the tranny off and have some fun. :ugh2:

Don't get me wrong, you could need a valve job. You need a compression check to varify that. I wouldn't pay jack to a mechanic till you find out what it reads. You don't need a difference of 20% or you have issues.

od2681
12-29-2004, 09:37 AM
thanks for all the help guys...
really appreciate it

HondaBoy
12-29-2004, 07:07 PM
all i gotta say is stop leak is bull shit! another problem that is many times over looked, and often put into denial is the oil filter base gasket. well that's it in my case. dont konw if you've checked that area on your engine, it would be leaking below the filter base, not above. after doing my oil pan twice, i've figured out its just the oil filter base leaking some.