PDA

View Full Version : Front mounted Cold Air Intake?

2drSE-i
12-29-2004, 04:41 PM
I may be the first person to come across this, but i found something interesting that looks like it would work extremely well.
Its a new concept on C.A.I.

Heres a pic of it mounted on a civic (i think):
http://www.arospeed.com/popup_add_image.php?imagesID=177

Heres a picture of the product:
http://www.arospeed.com/popup_add_image.php?imagesID=6

Its from Arospeed, http://www.arospeed.com , but they dont make one specifically for our cars.

Basically, if you cant tell, it replaces your air intake pipes, and wraps around behind the bumper. Is that not a great idea?
On a dyno, it would have little to no gain or loss over another C.A.I. system, but on the street it would.
Basically, the faster you go, the more air and colder air your going to draw in.

Thoughts or comments anyone?

Slavic
12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Pretty much what I was thinking of doing. If you look at the picture that was posted somewhere in this forum that shows air pressure envelope of a 3G by far the most pressure is pointed at the bumper and the bottom of the windshield where the cabin air intake is located. So yeah, if you want a ram air effect opening up the front of the bumper as opposed to just the two stock grilles underneath it would be the way to go and certainly beat any hood scoop IMO.

88accordalltheway
12-29-2004, 05:19 PM
http://www.arospeed.com/images/coldfrontintake_big.jpg
so the little panel just gets cold and sucks air around the edges? What do you do about water? Regular CAI seems like a better idea to me...

2drSE-i
12-29-2004, 05:29 PM
for water ud just do the same thing with regular C.A.I., i cant remember the name of it tho lol somebody help me out.

But yes it is a great idea

_edit_ Bypass valve maybe??

88accordhb
12-29-2004, 07:04 PM
nah i don't think it's a good idea, it's the same thing as cold air intake, only the pipe is longer and you have more bends meaning more restrictions. and how easy is it for a rock to penetrate the paper filter and into the pipe, goes up it intho the tb, then the mani into the cyclynder and.....you kno the rest. at leasst cai hides in the bumper where it's safe from debrees. that's a stupid idea, and it looks like a fake intercooler wannabe.

HondaBoy
12-29-2004, 07:09 PM
i saw that a few years ago in my magazines. i saw them put it on a civic on HP tv. looks kinda cool i guess. i'd rather have a shorter intake pipe set higher up though, fed through a hood scoop.

2drSE-i
12-29-2004, 07:28 PM
i saw that a few years ago in my magazines. i saw them put it on a civic on HP tv. looks kinda cool i guess. i'd rather have a shorter intake pipe set higher up though, fed through a hood scoop.

Yea, thats the way alot of ppl think, but id rather cut out the grill than cut up the hood. Thats just me tho. And it was horsepower tv i saw it lol

Plus,

If you look at the picture that was posted somewhere in this forum that shows air pressure envelope of a 3G by far the most pressure is pointed at the bumper and the bottom of the windshield where the cabin air intake is located.
So really, it just depends on where you wanna cut lol

2drSE-i
12-29-2004, 07:36 PM
BTW, This is taken straight off the Arospeed site:

Features a removable lexan window that helps protect the filter element from hazards, however it can be removed for race purposes.

Neuspeed87lx
12-29-2004, 08:00 PM
those things have been out forever....ide rather just have a normal cold air instead of that .... i wouldnt want it exposed to rocks and other debris infront of the car .... i guess it looks kinda cool ... around here everyone would be like wooooo that car must be fast its turbo

HondaBoy
12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
what do you mean around here, i know us at 3geez know better than that. lol.

2ndgenludedude1986
12-31-2004, 09:21 PM
its shit. up front liek that acutually shoots moisture and bugs and whatnot right up inot your motor. not good not good at all.

buzzbomber88lx
01-01-2005, 05:19 PM
those have been around for quite a while now.....all it is is rice because it is a cheap way to make your car look intimidating like it has an intercooler ;)

Vanilla Sky
01-01-2005, 07:03 PM
not only is it rice, but it's going to be counter productive... more bends, longer pipe, good deal of turbulence... just not a good idea overall...

bobafett
01-01-2005, 07:50 PM
ive got one of those installed and a tsunami turbo BOV speaker, its a good combination.

rice its so rice.... and sooo old! ;) it was never a good performer which is why its not popular now. :D

Mike's89AccordLX
01-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Front mount cold air intakes are for poser turbo cars IMO.

They are restrictive way more than a CAI. I've had a friend that bought one of those for his 00 accord and it didn't perform as good as his regular CAI.

buzzbomber88lx
01-02-2005, 10:10 AM
if you wanna pose as having a turbo....get an oil cooler off of an fc3s and paint it silver with spearco on it and actually hook it up. looks good and is fuctional.

AccordEpicenter
01-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Front mount cold air intakes are for poser turbo cars IMO.

They are restrictive way more than a CAI. I've had a friend that bought one of those for his 00 accord and it didn't perform as good as his regular CAI.

Werd... Piping length and diameter has a big effect on how much power you make. For the most power to be made, a simple cai is the best way (weapon-R is a great example)

racerx
01-02-2005, 12:45 PM
weapon-r is crap. they have the same low quality standards as any other cai company on eBay, they just charge more. same pipes, same paint, same crap. the only difference might be the filter, but I'd rather buy a K&N either way, so why pay $100-150 more for the same thing?

Just because 95% of the market wants to rip you off does not mean you should expect to get ripped off.

Piping diameter has a greater effect on turbo vehicles, but it still does make a difference.
With NA, the motor will pull in, by vacuum, the amount of air it needs. The important thing is not to have too small of a diameter in your intake, otherwise the ambient air pressure in the intake manifold will drop too rapidly when the valves open.

With too small of a diameter in piping, the air will take more time to fill in the vacuum created by the opening of the valves.

However, with a larger diameter, there will be more air to fill in that gap, thus making the air move easier and more efficiently.

Of course, you don't want to go too big because you DO want a little momentum in the air. There is an ideal size for every motor where the air is present, and is also flowing at a nice velocity to fill in the vacuum.

Turbo intake piping works a little different. You're forcing air into the motor, and thus you want velocity. You want that air to RAM into the cylinder before it has a chance to equalize the pressure. And in order to do so, you need the air to move with speed into the cylinder.
So how do you make pressurized air move faster? Make the intake piping smaller. The pressure will build immediately at the opening of the turbo, and as more air builds up, the air in front of it needs to go somewhere: up the piping. If the piping is larger, it takes more time to build pressure and push air through.

Hope that gives you some understanding.