PDA

View Full Version : Hasport H22 custom mounts!

sporkHSP
12-29-2004, 07:33 PM
ok, i bought some teg 5-fives today, and they guy i bought them from asked if i was interested in an h22 swap, to which i respondind, if i had mounts to do it. He said that he had the h22 in his 84 civic, and that he talked to Hasport and they made him custom mounts and sold them to him for regular price (@ $480). He said that he was going to talk to someone there and see if they would make some for me/us.

He also said that he used to own a 3g but gave it up because he couldnt find any aftermarket... if only he knew about this site, but oh well... and one of his friends just sold a $2000 motor built for a 3rd gen. Grrrr i wish i would have known this guy a long time ago.
anyway, i figured i would let you know about the custom mount thing.

RobT5580
12-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Someone would still have to donate their car to hasport for the mock up and stuff. Im doubtful that they would do it unless they had a customer at their door with a car and cash in hand. It seems a lot of people want things but are not willing to pick up the phone to get things done. I was impressed with all the vendors i dealt with for my project so i would say its possible buy it will take some leg work and money.

MattsAccord
12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
You can get anything if you have money. The money is the problem.

Oldblueaccord
12-29-2004, 11:34 PM
You can get anything if you have money. The money is the problem.

The mounts would be the least of my problems its the wiring that scares me off. Its a doable swap in my book. But hey guy had a Norstar v-8 in a VW gti last month in SCC i think.

wp

RobT5580
12-30-2004, 07:25 AM
If you can read a wiring diagram and know what the sensors do then wiring is not an issue at all. To me the mounts, Axles, and hydro tranny/shifter cables are the hardest part of any swap.

carotman
12-30-2004, 08:56 AM
That's right Rob.

In fact, the Mounts are the toughest. The hydro tranny can be converted to cable using a simple bracket to actuate the clutch.

The shifter cables would be the same as a Civic 92-95 swap. In fact, it could even be easier since out cars have a sheet of metal that bolts where the Auto or manual shifter is. It's not part of the frame at all alike the civics.

The axle problem can be solved using other honda parts.

The wiring.... easy part

If someone had mounts, I would never had put the B20A in my car. An H22A would be sitting in it now.

However, like I said in another thread. If someoen is willing to make custom mounts for another Honda engine in our car, it better be the K series...

Justin86
12-30-2004, 09:00 AM
how about getting stronger stock mounts for us. Send in some stock mounts and get better mounts with poly bushings would be sweet.

Oldblueaccord
12-30-2004, 08:45 PM
how about getting stronger stock mounts for us. Send in some stock mounts and get better mounts with poly bushings would be sweet.

Mounts to me are the easiest just make some cardboard templetes and weld them up. No sweat.

The axles I would take the two CV ends I needed send to a driveshaft place and have them make the shaft to my dimensions.

Wiring myself I would just get a donor car and swap everything over Im not much on harness building never had the patience for it. I'm assuming that our Honda motor harness is separte for mlike the lights and accesories I dont think it be to hard. Hell I'd cut a huge hole in the fire wall and thread everything thur it ECU and all rather than mess with repinning everything but thats just how I do swaps.

I always liked the hydrualic clutch set ups Honda uses dunno why we got the short end of that one.

I guess I just question will the hood shut and which person will do it first.

wp

sporkHSP
12-31-2004, 02:53 AM
its all about the money, but if i had it i would do it in my hatch in less than a heart beat.

smufguy
12-31-2004, 07:04 AM
i am sure this has been thought of before and did'nt we all agree that even spending barrels of money into thie H22 swap, its not advisable considering the weight of the motor? Unless this is a straight line drag only car, i dont see this being profitable to anyone on a day to day basis except for being different, as in with a different motor.

Anyway, if hasport can make us (if they wanna) they can make the B series mounts again, only betterj like the place racing, so that the swap guys who die over B series motors, can actually be satisfied.

RobT5580
12-31-2004, 08:30 AM
I have not heard any complaints on the prelude board with the H22 setups. If its done right it would be fine and the guy that has one in his accord said the same thing if i recall it right. Iv see about a half dozen say they were doing it and their is only one accord that i know of with a running H22.

Vanilla Sky
12-31-2004, 10:23 AM
the H22 doesn't weigh much more than the a20, but it IS a larger engine set... i've heard that there is still some cutting you need to do to get it in...

smufguy
12-31-2004, 11:32 AM
oh, thats weird, but also the H22s weigh as much as the F22s and F22s are a tad heavy than ours due to their trannies. Even their block is kinda big. SO i dont know. I mean heavy or not, once it starts to alter the weigh distribution, then we gotta worry about adjusting the shoxs and running different spring rates in the front and rear.

Also, what is our weight distribution by the way?

NOTE: THe 4th gen ran almost identical chassie as ours, only it was flipped tail end (thats what i saw from their chassie dimensions) so that could be it too. I know our cars are nose heavy and without a bigger sway bar in the back, ours just understeer a lot.

SteveDX89
12-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Our weight distribution is 61/39 F/R.

Oldblueaccord
12-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Our weight distribution is 61/39 F/R.

I was gonna guess 60/40 so crappy to start with.

Whats the weight of and our A motor compared to a H22 lets gets some thoughts on this? I mean 2.0 liter to 2.2 isnt really that big of differance.

I like the idea cuz you can get performance stuff of the shelf for h22 its could save you money in the long run if you wanna hop it up.

wp

Oldblueaccord
12-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Quote:

i am sure this has been thought of before and did'nt we all agree that even spending barrels of money into thie H22 swap,

End quote:

I think Sean told you that other than that I have other thoughts and I am not interested in making money or running a business just making my car go fast.

wp

2ndgenludedude1986
12-31-2004, 09:28 PM
we need some b series mounts, since none are made any more. but hwo wants vtec over the a20 power! haha

smufguy
01-01-2005, 02:31 PM
I think Sean told you that other than that I have other thoughts and I am not interested in making money or running a business just making my car go fast.wp

No Sean did not tell me that, and no we dont talk much or even did.

To answer your previous quote. The weight of the motor is usually the weight of the block/head/tranny. Despite the fact that our A20 is smaller in displacement, its a cast iron like u know and not a big tranny. But the H22 is a full aluminum block and has a pretty decent sized tranny.

Last time i ever lifted a motor was with Steve, my friend and myself and it was hard for us to put that bith ass motor into the rear of my car. It was heavy enough to be put into the 350Lbs range. I suck at estimating weight, so someone clarify this. I will weigh my motor with the tranny once all the work is done to it.

Oldblueaccord
01-01-2005, 03:26 PM
No Sean did not tell me that, and no we dont talk much or even did.

To answer your previous quote. The weight of the motor is usually the weight of the block/head/tranny. Despite the fact that our A20 is smaller in displacement, its a cast iron like u know and not a big tranny. But the H22 is a full aluminum block and has a pretty decent sized tranny.

Last time i ever lifted a motor was with Steve, my friend and myself and it was hard for us to put that bith ass motor into the rear of my car. It was heavy enough to be put into the 350Lbs range. I suck at estimating weight, so someone clarify this. I will weigh my motor with the tranny once all the work is done to it.

Maybe we could find out the shipping wieght of a H22 thats a good place to start. I cant find any numbers in the book on the actually motor weight of our motors. Maybe someone has shipped one and can tell us.

wp

smufguy
01-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Maybe we could find out the shipping wieght of a H22 thats a good place to start. I cant find any numbers in the book on the actually motor weight of our motors. Maybe someone has shipped one and can tell us.
wp

that would be perfect :)

Oldblueaccord
01-02-2005, 12:41 AM
that would be perfect :)

385 lbs

good article here I got the info for

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0311scc_hybrid/

wp

EDIT: whts this motor in the pics?

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1095073

sporkHSP
01-02-2005, 01:15 AM
o think that was ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› 's car, im not positive, but is looks like it. its either a b16 or b18, its not h-series.

smufguy
01-02-2005, 01:21 AM
385LBS is very heavy, i dont think our motor is that heavy. Besides, that motor looks like a B16, but the valve cover resembles a F20a from the euro accord. But again, it could be painted.

ps: it kinda resembles steves coupe with the blue valvecover, but his is totally different and much better looking.

smufguy
01-02-2005, 01:22 AM
o think that was ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› 's car, im not positive, but is looks like it. its either a b16 or b18, its not h-series.

wasnt mikes car a Black valve cover, besides he had a GSR motor didnt he? i often get this type r and gsr shit confused.

Oldblueaccord
01-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Thats motor and tranny togther. I think the article said is 65 lbs heavier than a F motor . I dont think thats really unresonable. Also says F motor and the H22 have the same mounts pretty interesting

Still wonder what an A motor weighs google aint helpin on that one.

wp

SteveDX89
01-02-2005, 07:37 AM
That's Mike's old car. GSR swap right thurr. If an H22 weighs 385 lb and an A20 weighs 350 (est.), there's not much of a problem with weight distribution. You could run some ultra stiff springs in the front and softer ones in the back.

Oldblueaccord
01-02-2005, 10:12 AM
http://www.geocities.com/rick_spiff/car/index.html

what happen to this guy?

wp

smufguy
01-02-2005, 01:36 PM
im not even sure if he is still around. Last time i talked to him it, the motor just sat in there with no progress after the shitty motor mounts. I think he just gave up after all the hardwork. a lot of time and money put into a project that was said to be deemed, and yet some try only to find out on their own that its worthless. :( sad reality.

sporkHSP
01-02-2005, 02:20 PM
you said his mounts were bad, is there any reason why it cant be done if we get good mounts?
its still a longshot for me to come up with the time and money to do this, but i am willing to do as much help as i can for whoever wants to give this a shot.

smufguy
01-02-2005, 04:51 PM
you said his mounts were bad, is there any reason why it cant be done if we get good mounts?
its still a longshot for me to come up with the time and money to do this, but i am willing to do as much help as i can for whoever wants to give this a shot.

even if the motor drop in with hella lot of work, we still gotta figure out what axle to run, also i dont know how tall the motor is, but i remeber him saying that valve cover of the H22 hit the hood when he tried to close it. so a hood modification is an issue too

Besides, why would anyone want a H22? if any i would say a B series motor is much better choice and has a great potential than the h22. It still carries a stroke of 90.7mm so its pretty long stroked (bore is a decent 87mm). point is, stick with a B series.

SteveDX89
01-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I would stick with a B series also. There is a larger aftermarket for them and they fit much easier.

sporkHSP
01-02-2005, 09:37 PM
whatever, i give up. just figured i would mention it and see if anyone was interested.

Vanilla Sky
01-03-2005, 04:38 AM
i'm more fond of the h series than the b series... i mean what about say a turbo h23? of course it would be uber spendy, but that would be up there with the faster of the 3geez...

smufguy
01-03-2005, 07:35 AM
i'm more fond of the h series than the b series... i mean what about say a turbo h23? of course it would be uber spendy, but that would be up there with the faster of the 3geez...

u sure about that? its not worth it man. Unless people have a 4th gen accord, i suggest that they dont venture into it. Its just tooo much. Just to have a car that is faster on the straight, just to have a car that has a different type of motor than anyone else, i mean all this just to be different? but again, this is just me, i am totally against engine swaps, but if any, ill swap only a B not a H.

Vanilla Sky
01-03-2005, 08:01 AM
honestly, i'm staying with the a-series, unless i get a JDM b20... if i were to swap with anything else, i'd use the h series...

and the motor doesn't weigh that much more... if any more...

carotman
01-03-2005, 08:50 AM
The motor weigh is always a good debate in the civic forums. The H22A isn't much heavier than the B series..

That thing can be fitted in a 92-95 Civic without problem. I'm sure it can be fited in our cars with the proper mounts.

Axles aren't a problem either.

Like I said, the ONLY problem is getting good mounts...

I would still prefer K series mounts. Can we be ahead of the competition for once? B and H series engines do not come in new cars anymore... these will die un a more or less short period of time.

sporkHSP
01-03-2005, 12:48 PM
if i can design k mounts can i have your b20 when you get your k enigine? ill give you mounts and cash. but i will never get a k motor and an enpyt 3gee to work with, so i guess it doesnt matter.

carotman
01-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Hehehe. I've put too much money into my B20A just to let it go like this.

However, I can give you a stock B20A for the mounts (with manual tranny)

The K series engines are really new and will get a really good aftermarket support. The K24 is one hell of an engine if mated with a proper head.

Oldblueaccord
01-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Two things that I see with the K motor are price $$ and its totally differant motor design.. Hell it even spins the right way. There's a EG civic in SCC i read today with some pics with a sawp.

I think I can get H22 for about $1200 now domestic maybe a JDM for that price. But I'd still like a whole car to mess with.

EDIT: Im not finding B20 any where except the CRV ones?? is that the b20 your using?

wp

Vanilla Sky
01-04-2005, 09:26 AM
no, it's an import motor, you won't find one of those in the junkyard :p

sporkHSP
01-04-2005, 11:35 AM
he has a jdm accord b20. search the board for it, its a direct bolt-in for our cars.

Oldblueaccord
01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
he has a jdm accord b20. search the board for it, its a direct bolt-in for our cars.

I understand its an import but there none available on the places I checked. If there none available not so sure how popular this swap is gonna be or how many aftermarket parts there gonna be.

My target is 200 hp so I dont think it would be for me.

wp

b20a86lude
01-11-2005, 06:27 AM
so all this talk is anybody gonna do anyhting about cause that means if they make it ill be able to throw itin my 2nd gen lude haha i also have a 5th lude with a h22 haha i can just throw it in if they make amounts even though my b20a is nasty think how nasty a h22 in a 2nd gen lude is fuck civics u aint got shit on me that owuld be nice ahhh we can always dream

RobT5580
01-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Thats the way it works people want things but no one is willing to do some leg work. Then again when PRI sold b-series mounts for the past few years they only sold a handful of the kits so on the producers end there is no big incentive. But if you brought your car to hasport im sure they would do the job since thats exactly how PRI made the mounts for others. Someone in CA wanted the swap and gave up their car for a while and PRI made the first prototype.

smufguy
01-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I understand its an import but there none available on the places I checked. If there none available not so sure how popular this swap is gonna be or how many aftermarket parts there gonna be.

My target is 200 hp so I dont think it would be for me.

wp

with some cams and head work and stuff you can get ur 200hp on the stock motor. BUt u need to rebuild the block and get higher compression pistons if ur gonna stay NA.

Civvy
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
i'm getting bored of the usuall so i'm throwing in a spanner...
4get what goes on under the hood it can be done.
question is does the hood close? if so are the axles still horisontal?
I want an engine that has lots of consistant torque, has a quiet exhaust and a high power output for as little money as possible.
Consistent torque makes the vtec ideal.
however installing a smaller engine than my B20 is going to loose torque and drivability.
Also, my B20 weighs more than your A20. If ouur cars were built for the weight of the B20 then we should consider comparing the B20 to the h/k series.

RobT5580
01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Im happy with the B20A is pretty much stock trim. I put about 700 miles the past few weeks on it and its a nice upgrade over the A20A3. As far as weight i dont know numbers but the A20A is very heavy and i would be surprised if there was a big difference in weight. I want to hit the dyno to see what it puts down but i have a feeling it will be boosted before i make it to the dyno.

smufguy
01-11-2005, 06:28 PM
I want an engine that has lots of consistant torque, has a quiet exhaust and a high power output for as little money as possible.
Consistent torque makes the vtec ideal.

you are asking for too much with too less money. Honda 4cyls in the stock form make ass torque period. One thing our motors are known for is their weak ass torque. Except if u go for the V6 and turbos. The reason is that our displacement is a lot less compared to the competition. Vtec is the easy way to make power, not torque, at higher rpm, your torque drops down since you make torque at half the rpm (on average) of ur power output. Only for uphill you need torque, for a street course, a good revving engine, decent power output and a good tranny (hondas are good with that) is all u need. So if you badly want a lot of torque, u either need to stroke your motor ( i dont suggest that you do) . The B20A is already a smaller bore compared to the A20 and a long stroke than the A20. So if i was owning a B20A, i would be really uncomfortable to wind up that motor frequently, in the stock form to say the least. It only makes 5 ft-lbs more than the A20 too. But the head flows great after work is done to it and it will be nice.

For a good motor, i would rather have a linear powerband upto my peak (i want it around 4K to 5K) so that the transition is good and have it limited to 7K redline to keep my engine safe and tune it within those parameters.

So going back to the point of the post, Last time Rick Spiff lined it all up and tried to close it, it did not close, the motor was too tall for the way it was sitting. and i dont think the Aluminum B20 weighs the same as the Cast Iron A20. Also, u can get a B16 installed in ur car and boost it and make a lot more power and get tons of torque and still be streetable. But yeah, u need to get hold of the mounts.

Civvy
01-12-2005, 03:47 AM
The crank and the head is much heavier in the b20, anybody that has rebuilt both engines knows this.
I didnt mean i wanted to increase the torque output dramatically. I find the stock B20 fine for its size/class...?
Vtec is ideal because it can have maximum low-end torque of the 2.0L or 2.2L and also high performance valve timing. Problem with my engine is i can only do one or the other, if i alter the valve timing using some aftermarket cams i will have to sacrifice low-end drivability.
My car is a roadcar not a trackcar.
But if it cant fit under the bonnet thats a bum! we'll have to put it on the back seat.