PDA

View Full Version : weird idle problem

nappyroots827
12-29-2004, 11:40 PM
hey guys...well im kinda embarrased to say why my car was idling so high which i now fixed...the check valve on the dashpot vacuum line was backwards so when i reved the car it would stick in that position....anyways, now that i flipped it around its its idling better...im having a problem....when the car is idling at about 1500, it drops off like its going to stall and then picks back up again, and it just keeps on doing it....and when im driving it does it as well, not when im accelerating, but when i let off the gas and it reaches that rpm range, it will drop off and pick back up until the rpms drop to a certain point or if i accelerate again....anybody know why this is happening....i guess its just part of the efi swap...

Oldblueaccord
12-30-2004, 10:21 PM
hey guys...well im kinda embarrased to say why my car was idling so high which i now fixed...the check valve on the dashpot vacuum line was backwards so when i reved the car it would stick in that position....anyways, now that i flipped it around its its idling better...im having a problem....when the car is idling at about 1500, it drops off like its going to stall and then picks back up again, and it just keeps on doing it....and when im driving it does it as well, not when im accelerating, but when i let off the gas and it reaches that rpm range, it will drop off and pick back up until the rpms drop to a certain point or if i accelerate again....anybody know why this is happening....i guess its just part of the efi swap...

Have you had the battery unhooked?

I have this situtation with mine that if I unhook the battery I have to drive the car 30 miles before the idle "picks back up" always had this condition dunno why. My favorite Honda tech it shouldn't be this way but it does. I even have a pre planned route that I drive to and exit and turn around so I dont have to stop in traffic. Mines an 88 lxi J code car built 87.

wp

HondaBoy
12-30-2004, 10:30 PM
not to be a douche, but did you ever change the oxygen sensor? i dont remember if it was you or not, but i remember something about that o2 sensor being mentioned. anyway, this funky idle problem happened to a del Sol that we were working on after my friend put the header on. he didnt replace the o2 sensor, that is was was happening. also, after changing it out idle was great and a lot more power after that.

nappyroots827
01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
i got just went to my junkyard and got a manifold with an o2 already in it...i have a new sensor, but im too scared to take out the one in the manifold already cuz i don't wanna strip it again and be in the same fucked position i was in before...and i fixed my egr as well, im no longer getting any codes and the car runs great, its just doing this gay idle thing...im gonna do some working on the engine tomorrow, see if i can't fix some stuff...another thing is, my 18 and 17 vacuum lines aren't connected to anything because i have an intake and they plug into the stock intake box, so what do i do with those lines, their probably the cause of the idle problem, but anyone else done something with these lines?

Oldblueaccord
01-04-2005, 06:01 AM
i got just went to my junkyard and got a manifold with an o2 already in it...i have a new sensor, but im too scared to take out the one in the manifold already cuz i don't wanna strip it again and be in the same fucked position i was in before...and i fixed my egr as well, im no longer getting any codes and the car runs great, its just doing this gay idle thing...im gonna do some working on the engine tomorrow, see if i can't fix some stuff...another thing is, my 18 and 17 vacuum lines aren't connected to anything because i have an intake and they plug into the stock intake box, so what do i do with those lines, their probably the cause of the idle problem, but anyone else done something with these lines?

Well for the time being plug them or pinch them off might be giving you a vacuum leak which will mess up your idle.

wp

nappyroots827
01-04-2005, 08:37 PM
well, today i made a tee comin off my intake and rigged the two lines to it...it seemed to help a little bit, it still does it but only when the car warms up, and it still seems to idle a little high, im gonna go to the junkyard and get another throttle body this week and see if the dashpot is the problem, that thing is a little shaky to begin with, it was all taken apart and who knows if its back together right...

Marky951
01-07-2005, 11:13 AM
No joke I had the same problem, it almost sounds like the engine is running on 3 cylinders. I changed my spark plugs and now it runs a little better. Make the engine run and remove a spark plug wire, becareful not to get shocked. If by doing so you find the engine to run worse you know then that cylinder is running fine, if you spot that the engine runs fin when you remove one sparkplug wire, then you know that that's the cylinder which is causing the problem. I don't think it's a vacuum leak, but more of an ignition problem or oxygen sensor.