PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Coming From Engine/Headers

Malt Beverage
12-30-2004, 07:39 PM
I was running my 89 accord today noticed that there was quite a bit of white smoke coming from the front of the engine. It was white steam like smoke, but was definitely burning oil. At first I thought my head cover was loose or the seal was gone and it was dripping oil on the headers. I took off the head cover and inspected it. The seal was ok, but I noticed that most of my valves were very loose. I reattached the head cover and felt around. There is allot of dirt/oil in the spark plug holes and on the engine mount. The oil levels are fine so I believe it is a slow leak from somewhere. The car still runs smooth and and drives fine. I am going to adjust the valves tomarrow. Any ideas?

mykwikcoupe
12-30-2004, 07:44 PM
well gravity pulls things down so if it on top of the header than id say its the dang ol valve cver seal. Ive replaced mine quite a few times. i finally put some black RTV onit. Hasnt had a problem yet and i dont plan on another.

Malt Beverage
12-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Yea. I think I'll trow a bit of silicon around it and degrease the engine. This is also the first time I've really drivin it since august since im living in floriday till may so the seals are probably going bad in the harsh MA winter.

Neuspeed87lx
12-30-2004, 08:02 PM
the valves are supposed to be loose.... well not excessivly loose.... but there are clearance specs that should be met... do not try to adjust them if you dont know the specs or know what your doing.... white smoke always makes me lean twards a coolant/headgasket leak... oil look milky? hows the coolant level ?

Malt Beverage
12-30-2004, 08:05 PM
They rock back and forth by hand alot more then 0.010 and 0.005. And yes, I will be using a feeler gauge. I dont really want to burn my valves :uh: .

Neuspeed87lx
12-30-2004, 08:07 PM
k good you sound like u know what your doing... didnt want to see u damage anything

Malt Beverage
12-30-2004, 08:07 PM
white smoke always makes me lean twards a coolant/headgasket leak

It's oil. I have had to deal with far too many cars that burn coolent. You can't confuse the smell. It's just a very light smoke but its a steady stream.

Malt Beverage
12-30-2004, 08:09 PM
k good you sound like u know what your doing... didnt want to see u damage anything

Ya, I appreciate that. I've pretty much learned everything I know from working on my 3gen and car forums like this so I welcome any help :thumbup: .

Neuspeed87lx
12-30-2004, 08:10 PM
no burning coolant def has its own smell

HondaBoy
12-30-2004, 09:22 PM
if its not the valve cover gasket gone bad, maybe the distributor's O ring is leaking. its possible that its leaking over to that direction. that's something you can check i guess, see if there's oil leaking below and/or around the distributor where its butted up against the head.

3gn86lxi
12-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Hows your power sterring fliud? I had a smoking problem, turned out to be my high pressure power steering line sprung a leak right over the exhaust manifold. Smoked like a mofo, and oddly enough smelled just like engine oil burning. :alc:

A20A1
12-31-2004, 01:17 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39319

just in case

danronian
12-31-2004, 05:01 PM
My valve cover and distributer cover leak horribly but luckily the only thing it does is smoke out the hood all the time, the engine actually only takes 1/2qt of oil per oil change so the seals really don't bother me at all. THe only problem with them is that the oil from the valve cover leaks down into the spark plug threads and glued most of them in which made getting them out not so fun. Oh well, with platinums I won't be replacing them that soon again anyhow.