PDA

View Full Version : What power steering fluid to use?

johnwc723
12-31-2004, 02:22 PM
I have this slow leak in the power steering fluid (its on the cooler infront of the radiator but im not going to fix it till summer) so i need to put fluid in once in awhile.

at the autoparts store there is "honda power steering fluid" especially for honda/acura vehicles and power steering fluid. the specific honda stuff of course costs twice as much, will it really make a difference if i use the normal stuff or should i go for the honda stuff?
thanks!

adams86lxi
12-31-2004, 02:31 PM
honda requires a special power steering fluid to work correctly. I would get the stuff specialy for hondas.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-31-2004, 03:01 PM
Check the price from the dealer and see if the Honda/Acura fluid from the autoparts store costs less. It is recommended that you use only Genuine Honda or at least Honda compatible fluid (this is usually stated on the container). Use of other fluids can cause damage to your power steering system. Personally I would use the genuine fluid from the dealer even if it is more expensive. It's better to spend a little bit extra now than to have to replace the rack when summer comes. Just my $.02

86LXItooFAST4me
12-31-2004, 03:03 PM
if you go to like auto zone or oreilly's they have it with the rest of the PS fluid and it actually saws HONDA PS fluid on the bottle.

AZmike
12-31-2004, 08:17 PM
I've found the Honda PSF at the dealer is usually even cheaper than the compatible fluids at auto part stores.