PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problem

phoenxislayer15
12-31-2004, 02:50 PM
Lately my car has been having an idle spaz attack, it revs up and down, up and down, up and down constantly. I was recently driving home from Knoxville when I stopped at a gas station. While I was putting oil in my car someone walked up started talking to me about the idleing problem. He said that I should probably replace my Oxy sensor and that I more than likely have a vacuum hose leak. He said that he used to have a car like mine so I thought his advice to be helpful. I'm just wondering, is his advice right?

Btw:

1987 Honda Accord White Hatchback FI

86LXItooFAST4me
12-31-2004, 03:05 PM
could be. those are both logical explanations but it could also be a few other things. is your ECU throwing any codes?

phoenxislayer15
12-31-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "throwing codes".

Moodybluesr
01-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you have a vacuum hose that either popped off or got a hole in it. You should definately check all your hoses.

superdesi
01-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Check under the drivers seat from the rear and look for a box with a little window to pry open and count the number of blinks.

The problem is more than likey a vacuum leak or a bad EGR system.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "throwing codes".

"Throwing codes" refers to the ECU indicating a malfunction in the system. This is conveyed in the form of a numerical code. When there is a problem in the system, the Check Engine light will illuminate on your dash board. Very often, O2 sensors will loose accuracy with age but the ECU will not indicate any problems since the O2 sensor still works. Another possible reason for your idle problem may be a dirty/gummed up throttle body. Get some throttle body cleaner and follow the instructions on the can.

Some related topics:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=29929&highlight=fluctuating+idle
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=26779&highlight=fluctuating+idle

phoenxislayer15
01-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Ok, in ignition 2 spot I get...

12 Blinks
2 Second Pause
12 Blinks so on...

Also, I got another question. Awhile back my starter went out, I'm wondering if my starter went out or if it's something else.

Symptoms:

I hear a light click sound when I turn the key, but doesn't even attempt to start. The lights pause for a second when I try to start it, just like normal.

Also, another problem is that my battery is constantly drained. When I leave my battery connected, it goes dead. However, it only goes dead if the headlight light is lit up on the dash. If it is not lit up it will not go dead. Awhile back my right headlight broke, it doesn't go up and down on it's own so I don't know what to do...

superdesi
01-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Clean out your EGR system really well

phoenxislayer15
01-01-2005, 08:34 PM
How do I go about doing that? I am a car noobie.

Mac
01-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Also, another problem is that my battery is constantly drained. When I leave my battery connected, it goes dead. However, it only goes dead if the headlight light is lit up on the dash. If it is not lit up it will not go dead. Awhile back my right headlight broke, it doesn't go up and down on it's own so I don't know what to do...

Sounds like your headlight motor is draining your battery. How did it break? If you fix it you might fix your battery drain.

Try and see if the headlight is binding or rubbing on anything. Lift the hood and see if it raises and retracts. Check the linkage arm between the motor and headlight is tight and not bent.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Pull the fuse for the broken headlight retractor motor until you can fix it. That is probably the reason for your battery going dead. Code 12 means that there is a malfunction in your EGR system. Most of the time this is caused by a clogged EGR valve. To clean it, locate it on the intake manifold, unbolt it, use carb cleaner or some other solution to remove the deposits from the valve. Reinstall with a new gasket. Hope this is helpful.

01-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Having played with the vac and egr, that sounds about right. EGR. Also, there is a hose I belive that plugs into the air cleaner assembly that can cause the same thing. easy to check, pull off the air cleaner assy then look for one of the two hoses that stick up on the right side of the engine, your left. putting your finger over the hose or metal port may smooth out the idle. When mine was off it would nearly die, then rev high, then nearly die, etc. Egr did similar thing when you push on the diaphram w/ your finger. Good luck!

Tespo87AccordDX
01-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I have this problem as well. Can anyone point me to a thread or site that tells how to check the vacuum tubes?

86LXItooFAST4me
01-03-2005, 04:49 AM
basically take the EGR off and get some carb cleaner spray and a wire brush or wire drill bit and tear ass.

nappyroots827
01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
hey, im having a similar problem, and i have an intake so i had no place to hook up those vacuum lines to, where should i hook them up??, are they just open air before the thottle body or is there some kind of valve in relation to them or anything?? i believe they are number 17 and 18 lines