PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze and Oil Filter?

Tespo87AccordDX
01-01-2005, 02:31 PM
What brand of antifreeze and oil filter should I use?

buzzbomber88lx
01-01-2005, 05:57 PM
anything but fram for an oil filter and for antifreeze it doesnt really matter

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-01-2005, 07:27 PM
For antifreeze you can use almost any major brand as long as you use the right kind of antifreeze (as recommended by Honda - the normal green stuff). As mentioned earlier, stay away from Fram oil filters. Most other name brand filters are acceptable. Personally, I prefer the Purolator filters because of their larger size and test-proven quality. I wouldn't recommend their top of the line filters though because they have been shown to be rather restrictive. Just my $.02

AZmike
01-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Read up on oil and filters here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Tespo87AccordDX
01-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Pennzoil seems to be on the cheaper side ie. oil, oil filters, and air filters. Is this a trustworthy brand?

zero.counter
01-01-2005, 08:32 PM
I have had 1 really bad experience with a FRAM and one oddity. These two experiences have happened within the last month. They first started after my wife did not want me changing the oil anymore because she was worried about cancer and many other ailments. I have always changed the oil on my cars every 1500 miles. I had always used the STPs. Anyway, we took the cars to walmart (2001 camry with 70k on the od and my work car, the 95 240 with 146k). They use frams. Now I must add, neither car has made any valvetrain noise or experienced oil loss since we have owned them. After the oil chages, my car started a small drip, which after degreasing the engine bay, found the leak was from the oil filter location. I replaced with another FRAM just because I was able to untighten by hand after a little work. After replacing, everything was fine while warming up, then came a hissing noise and I saw lots of smoke come out. I immediately shut the car down and found all 4.5 quarts spilled into my cat-litter canal. After another engine bay cleanup, I found that the O-Ring was first of all, not the same diameter as other major manufacturers. It made contact with the seating rim on the filter mount, but nonetheless made a bad seal. The other thing was, the o-ring managed to break and caused the oil pressure to spit it out from the broken ring location. Additionally, the original wal-mart FRAM's ring was halfway cut or about to break, which would have been very bad. So I used the cheapo valucraft $2 filter from autozone and have yet to see anything bad. Just so everyone knows, I always slop some new oil on rubber gasket prior to replacing. I would assume that walmart would have done the same. Just not sure what the rubber was giving out at this point.

On my wife's car (she drives grandma style), she had some major valvetrain noise after a month of driving with the FRAM and finding good oil levels on the stick with no obvious oil loss. I use the same applicable oil on both, the camry was Mobile 1 10w-30 synthetic and on mine, castrol gtx high mileage 10w-30. I removed the fram and found that the o-ring was a little damaged there as well and so replaced with Mobile 1 $10 filter. The noise stopped, and as always, I add half a bottle of lucas oil viscosity promoter (F.Y.I.). That car's problem is now gone. I sent a letter to FRAM explaining the situation and how we can see if there was a bad batch of sorts that may have come out of their factory. I have yet to receive a reply as it has been over 3 weeks. I am assuming holidays. The guys at autozone (my 2 local autozones only where I bought oil) only had their usual fabricated off-the-wall responses at to why the filters did that even after a comparison. Go figure, this is just my experience and I will use other filters for more obvious reasons, actually stick with what has worked for me.

AZmike
01-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Ok, I read through the bulletin board that I posted. The consensus seems to be purolator and wix are some of the best brands. Oil filters made by these manufacturers come packaged as many different brands though. I use the cheapest purolator-made 24458 I can find. It's one of the largest filters that fits our cars (198 sq in), but it has been discontinued and replaced by the somewhat smaller 14459 (116 sq in).

I also noticed several people on that board had problems wtih FRAM filters from walmart as well.

HondaBoy
01-01-2005, 11:34 PM
OMG! i was reading up on this thread and on the other site. holy shit, my car has been having some valve noise on start up. i use a fram sure grip. and its leaking oil from around the oil filter, i still think its the oil filter base. i dont know, you think maybe the filter is doing bad or something like they were talking about on that site? i'll just go to the dealership and get a nippon/honda filter. they arent that much either, or i can get a wix from O'reillys. that kinda scares me, i dunno. makes me think now!

buzzbomber88lx
01-02-2005, 09:37 AM
ya I had the same problem on my a20 and also on my bro's 5.0 with fram filters...
www.stangnet.com did a test on oil filters and cut them in half with a bandsaw before used and after used and fram was by far the shittiest filter even worse than the cheapest out there...
also about the putting oil on the seal ring on the filter....you should always do that if you want the damn thing to come off by hand ;)

Moodybluesr
01-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Napa Spinflo baby (made by Wix).

As for anitfreeze... there is only one manufacturer of antifreeze left in the US so you are getting the same shit no matter what brand (or generic) you buy.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-02-2005, 02:42 PM
ya I had the same problem on my a20 and also on my bro's 5.0 with fram filters...
www.stangnet.com did a test on oil filters and cut them in half with a bandsaw before used and after used and fram was by far the shittiest filter even worse than the cheapest out there...
also about the putting oil on the seal ring on the filter....you should always do that if you want the damn thing to come off by hand ;)

The actual purpose of coating the new rubber seal with oil is to allow the seal to seat evenly when you tighten the filter. The oil reduces the friction between the metal and the rubber and the seal doesn't catch and stretch anywhere. Just my $.02

Also, Pennzoil was mentioned earlier and as far as I know, a lot of their oil is reformulated. This raises a red flag in my book. Can't say much about their other products.

Tespo87AccordDX
01-02-2005, 03:57 PM
I have done my research and this is what I found:
Purolator Pure-One Oil Filter are the best for the money and the quality. PL24458 is the model for our vehicles. Runs from $5-$6
Mobil 1 SuperSynth is the best oil quality wise but very pricey. I learned that this is made to be used by brand new cars to keep them perfect from the start. I choose not to use this oil because it is way too expensive and it is overkill. Runs $5/qt!
I prefer to use High-Mileage Oil from Pennzoil only because it is inexpensive and has been working perfect with my car. This may not be the best quality, but I find it suitable. Runs $2.50/qt.
The recommended SAE for our vehicles is 10W-40, however I choose to use 10W-30 in the cooler months and 10W-40 in the warmer months.
Wix makes the best Air Filter quality-wise. It is very cheap for it's quality however a bit more expensive than the norm. These filters are way better than K&N and a 1/4 of the price. I recommend these to everyone. Model #42218 for the Carbs and Model #46203 for the EFI's. Runs about $9-$14.
I use Purolator Premium Plus Oil Filter and Pennzoil HM 10W-30 Oil. Everything is perfect.

buzzbomber88lx
01-02-2005, 07:08 PM
The actual purpose of coating the new rubber seal with oil is to allow the seal to seat evenly when you tighten the filter. The oil reduces the friction between the metal and the rubber and the seal doesn't catch and stretch anywhere. Just my $.02

Also, Pennzoil was mentioned earlier and as far as I know, a lot of their oil is reformulated. This raises a red flag in my book. Can't say much about their other products.
ya....and you can actually take the damn thing off which is an added convenience :thumbup: