PDA

View Full Version : changing o ring, need help

staticpat
07-31-2002, 03:24 PM
i got the distributor cap and rotor off, but cant loosen any of the other screws inside, or get the square wiring box off the top, ill probably get it eventually but does anyone have any advice? these screws aren't easy.

also my air filter and carbureator started smoking(smelled like gas), and the engine wasn't even on. i think this might be since i had to turn the engine over to position the rotor in line with the first spark plug place, and the gas didn't burn, but just want to make sure. thanksss :)

A20A1
07-31-2002, 08:43 PM
run that by me again... what did you do to the distributor and why did yuou rotate it to #1.
by the square box to you mean the igniter?

and I wouldn't suggest rotating the crank while the spark plugs are installed.

dj99
07-31-2002, 09:10 PM
If you are trying to change the distributor o-ring, you just have to remove the two bolts holding the distributor to the head, then pull. The o-ring is easily replaced. Just make sure to make a fine mark across the front of the distributor where it meets the head so you can put it back later without having to set your timing.

staticpat
08-01-2002, 08:04 PM
i got it, i was trying to take off the wrong thing, all good now.

87accordlxph
08-04-2002, 04:35 AM
You mean the reluctor?
That ninja star looking peace that's black and has a pin in it?
Those are expense to replace. I don't think they go out that badly to be replaced. I would just leave it.