PDA

View Full Version : ECU Indications

biloyp
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I own a 89 Accord LX that has had the engine replaced 2 x and now this is the 3rd one. Why is it so hard to find a good mechanic? Oh Well!. Anyways, I know have a A18A engine in it, and have had the following repairs on it: reuilt carb, new timng belt, new pressure plate (had no choice since mine sheered), new alternator, a/c expansion valve replaed and a/c system working perfect. one problem I have with my car is that it idles high at times (when it i cold I let it warm up and have to tap the gas pedal to get the idle down, and after driving it lets say 100 miles I can tap the engine and it still idles high). I have changed the oil/filter air filter and cleaned the battery terminals/connection imacculate (which really helped). Another problem I have is when I am driving and start going up a slight hill I have to press the gas pedal way too much to keep the car at constant speed. Going down hill is no problem and my car accelerates really well (well duh! I know). I have read a lot of posting on this site and because of thatI have located and checked the ECU blinks by openning the small access panel on the ECU under the drivers seat. But honestly there is not any LED light, Only a very small screw. I checked and rechecked and I swear I have not been drinking. Oh yeah I forgot to mention my steering wheel vibrates someties when I am stopped at a stop light with engine running approx. 750 rpms. Mechanic told me my engine mounts may need replacing with OEM Honda motor parts and not the after market ones I put on which are about 8 months old. ????? Is there a big difference between the OEM and aftermarket that could cause this?
Well I am inclined to take my car into the Honda dealership since they should be able to fix it Only problem is I hate having to bend over and getting raped cuz of the $$$$ they will charge for the work.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined so any help on something I could do would really help.
Thanks in advance and this site is excellent!!! :rockon:

accordlxi2.0
01-03-2005, 05:22 PM
ehhh....i hate to burst your bubble.
you have no dianostic led.
only 88-91 carb prelude came with that feature.

the engine mounts replace all 3 if you can but if not concentrate on the front and side.

i say stick with oem parts.
due to the fact they're liquid filled
the mounts on my car where fixed but the car needed a tune-up bad.
the engine was shaking but it could barely be felt inside.

hmmm another test you can do to see if the "ecu" works....
when you turn on the a/c does the engine idle go up a little by itself?
i don't know ...but i'm sure they probably did, if the a18a came with a secondary valve.
if so you could see if the valve opens smootly or not.
i've gone uphill in my 88 lx a few times and it give's good amount of go.
( and i'm not soft on the engine either).

after driving for awhile and you tap the gas and it rev's up high....
when it does that, try to pull the cable with your foot if the idle goes down...
well honda used some type of lube and once it heats up..it get's sticky.

i say either loosen the throttle cable up a bit or
or find a lube that slippery....

hope's this helps.

biloyp
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
ehhh....i hate to burst your bubble.
you have no dianostic led.
only 88-91 carb prelude came with that feature.

the engine mounts replace all 3 if you can but if not concentrate on the front and side.

i say stick with oem parts.
due to the fact they're liquid filled
the mounts on my car where fixed but the car needed a tune-up bad.
the engine was shaking but it could barely be felt inside.

hmmm another test you can do to see if the "ecu" works....
when you turn on the a/c does the engine idle go up a little by itself?
i don't know ...but i'm sure they probably did, if the a18a came with a secondary valve.
if so you could see if the valve opens smootly or not.
i've gone uphill in my 88 lx a few times and it give's good amount of go.
( and i'm not soft on the engine either).

after driving for awhile and you tap the gas and it rev's up high....
when it does that, try to pull the cable with your foot if the idle goes down...
well honda used some type of lube and once it heats up..it get's sticky.

i say either loosen the throttle cable up a bit or
or find a lube that slippery....

hope's this helps.

LOL No my bubble burst a long time ago. Okay, I will replace the front and side cuz the rear one is a bitch to get to but maybe I will take it in to someone that has a hoist and let them do all 3 (what the hell).

Well I did have problems with the secondary valve opening , really poor acceleration at low speeds(but I didn't know it) so I took to a guy who had worked on Hondas for 30 years (this guy was good) and he said it was a valve that feeds into the secondary valve that was bad. So he pretty much cut the vacum hose and lugged both ends. It did help tremendouly but I am thinking about replacing that valve since it is really easy to get o and I can do it myself. (I dont know what it is called).

Okay I will lube the throttle cable, I was thinking I may need to spray some kinda lube on it (try easy stuff first) but wasn't sure what to use.

I was even thinking about repalcing the fuel pump and fuel filter (depending on cost and difficulty. I don;t thinkthey have ever been replaced. Do you know if the fule pump is external to the fuel tank?

Also, question about the cruise control. I push the button on the left of the steering wheel and it stays in then slowly comes back out. If I hold the button in, cruise control works, but I don;t feel like holding it in while I drive. Prior to my engine being replaced, cruise control worked. (like I said it is hard to get a good mechanic). I asked the mechanic iwhat was wrong and he said the button was bad. Okay maybe, but something else I will have to check.

Thnks again for the help!!

accordlxi2.0
01-03-2005, 06:30 PM
okay...(cracks knuckles)....
when you go to do the mounts you don't need to really pull the engine out.
i used a 2ton floor jack with a block of wood.
and easily jack the engine up.
when i replace the front i jack it up by the transmission, when i did the side, i used a block of wood and jacked up under the oil pan, BUT easily though.
to be sure if the pan could handle it.
i heard that the rear is the easiest......

the cruise...it should work.
when your driving push the button, the "cruise" light should come on, and the speed should stay with-in it's speed give or take 5mph.

when you hold in the accel button it's gonna speed the car up.
i know on u.s. model's the fuel pump is internal.....don't get depressed.
only you would have to do is remove the trunk/hatch carpet and plastic floor thingy.
then there are 2 metal lid's that has black shit around it.
one should have like 10 screw's with a fuel line coming out.
very easy to remove the hard thing is seating it in.
took me about 10mins to replace mines.

fuel filter as said before on u.s. model's there's one mounted right beside the tank and rear wheel well.
the front ( if you have one) is, or should be beside the brake reservior.
it does'nt hurt to change it..but
if you can't go past 60mph or even 80mph....
change em'.

does your idle boost up when you turn on the a/c switch??

biloyp
01-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Well I was on the road the other day, went outside to turn my car on and guess what! It turned over like it wanted to start but no-go. after pumping the gas pedal I removed the air cleaner and smelled for gas in the carb...nada. Yep, my fuel pump was bad, so I replaced it and both fuel filters. It helped some, but I still have the problem with maintaining speed (acutallly seems like an accel problem) goin gup hill unless I give it a lot of gas.

I stopped by the Honda dealership and ordered a Thermovalve Switch that is located behind and to the right of the distributor. There are 2 vac lines coming off of it, one goe to the carb I think. I had an experience Honda Tech cut it and plug it (emergency repair) to solve and accel problem at low speeds. It will take a week to get it and it runs $56.

Today I noticed that my valves sound like they r rattling when I accel from a stop. I aint sure it is the valves but it ounds like it.

Yes my a/c boost when I turn it on, but when it does I feel the car lurch forward a bit when I am stopped.

I will replace the motor mounts. U say the rear one is the easiest? DO I take it off from the top of the car or put it on ramps or jackstand and take it off?