PDA

View Full Version : New Carb Intake

HKSdrift3r
01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
I jus installed a new cai on my moms civic dx ( i know lol) and just thought about.. Wouldnt it be possible to use that intake tube on the carb since the dx motors have the throttle body horizontal, jus like the carbs?? idk jus wondering

HondaBoy
01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
yes, this is a mod that a few people have already done. using the civic's air box top portion. i've been looking for one, but they are alwas missing on the cars in the junk yard. and yes you can put a CAI on that.

HKSdrift3r
01-03-2005, 06:30 PM
oh.. i forgot to mention, the cai is for a 96, so that style of intake

HKSdrift3r
01-03-2005, 07:29 PM
guess il have to try it myself n see if it works

HondaBoy
01-03-2005, 10:37 PM
i dont know if that really adds much performance, but with the civic air box piece you can then put a different filter or have other intake options like the CAI or short ram. personally, i was going to get the civic box, have a short arm intake and have a hood scoop above it. my friend said he found a civic behind his work thats just sitting there. he would get the air box off if it was there, unless its the mpfi.

racerx
01-04-2005, 01:55 AM
I can get you one of those. They're always laying around the junk yards here. I got one that was practically in perfect condition... that is, until I got to it. :D

HKSdrift3r, you can search the forums to find the how-to. Mindlos made a really good write up on it.
But if you don't want to bother:
Just take that box and open the bottom hole up a little so that it will actually mate up to the carb. That's about all it takes. I used a dremel. Also, you'll want to use the stock brass screen thing to hold the box down. I also used the old gasket from the original air box to seal it. The brass piece doesn't fit perfectly, but it's very close.

I've seen people do the short ram, short ram with hood scoop/vents, and cai. By and far, the best option is to go CAI. Even a cai with dryer hose will out-perform any hood scoop/vent setup, with the strict exception of a box sealed to the hood, in which case you'll never be able to drive in the snow, rain, or on really dirty roads.
If it was a really great idea I think more people would do it, but they don't. Besides, "custom" HOLES in your hood don't look anything but wannabe and ricey.
Just my opinion though

keruhas184
01-04-2005, 06:11 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38108

racerx
01-04-2005, 10:03 AM
well, i was hoping mindlos was going to have a write up on his site, but since his site is entirely in japanese, I was a little stuck. sorry man.
you can check out his signature though. he has a picture of it, all polished up.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Hehehe why the heck would mindlos have his site in japanese. He's not japanese. Well he could be but I doubt it. I met him once and he didn't look japanese ;)

Yeah carb intakes rule :)

HKSdrift3r
01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
oo tahnks guys.. i already saw those how to's.. i guess im thinkin of something else. but any way thanks

racerx
01-04-2005, 04:54 PM
yeah, just go to his name in the member's list, click on the link to his web page and behold.
there's 2 links to go to english sites... I think he either works for or owns that company.