PDA

View Full Version : After Carb Rebuild

HondaBoy
01-03-2005, 06:40 PM
ok, so it in my case was well worth rebuilding the carb. if you've read the old thread of where i said the accelerator pump was leaking, then you know. anyway, now that its running, its doing really well. i took it out for a bit. it really picks up better now. i notice above 3700rpms or so especially that it pulls better. on the freeway, its very noticeable comparing it to how it was before. i thought at first that i was going to need to do some tuning on it, but its running pretty much like its supposed to. it does not lag upon pushing the throtal down hard, like it did the 1st time i started it after putting everything on. i kept thinking something was wrong, until i remembered that i had a rag stuffed into the carb. it couldnt get any air. lol. thats not good. anyway, i'll have to check the gas mileage and see if i picked up some miles. hope i do. any of you that have rebuilt your carb, did you have a good experience or bad? like did it run correctly after you put it back on? i think to get the optimum performance out of this i should retune the carb, but i havent had the time to do that. i'd like to wait until i can clearly see what i'm doing. its not too bright outside with the clouds. i think i may do a vac line removal also, since i know that its not F'ed up after i've done this rebuild.

TheSummoner101
01-03-2005, 07:28 PM
i would very much like to do a carb rebuild...but uhh no experience, and sh!t for luck isn't a big plus...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
i would very much like to do a carb rebuild...but uhh no experience, and sh!t for luck isn't a big plus...

Visit your local junk yard and pick up a spare carburator. Rebuild that and simply swap it in in place of your old one. If you screw up, you still have your old working carburator as insurance. Just my $.02

AccordEpicenter
01-03-2005, 08:04 PM
you know what guys i might have some of the carb o rings if you need them (all kinds of funky shapes)

HondaBoy
01-03-2005, 09:32 PM
i did buy a spare carb from the junk yard. i used a few screws and the bowl vent that were bad on mine. i've never done a carb before this. i used the instructions in the how to. although it doesnt tell where every piece goes, i kinda figured out where they went by matching them up. i really didnt think that i would be able to get this done and have it work properly. i did have all the tools i needed though. i'm going to order the parts i took off the spare carb then probley have that rebuild and rejetted. dont know if that's really worth it though. i could always get a weber. i drove it again and did a dead stop 0-60, i didnt time it, but watching the tach an speedometer it climbed faster than it used to. i'll have to time it when i get a chance. i wonder if running my car hard was what caused that accelerator pump to start leaking. before it started leaking i had been running it harder than i usually do for about 2 or 3 weeks. maybe WOT was putting too much pressure in it? i think it was really an O ring that was leaking. now there is no gas leaking which is good. gas leaks shouldnt be ignored.

HondaBoy
01-08-2005, 10:57 AM
i notice that after doing my rebuild, i have a noticeable bit more pull in acceleration. like before, it would start to bring the power around 4700 or higher. now i get power like i said about 3700, and a fuller power. down low, its a bit better, but still could be better. that'll have to be fixed later on with something good. anyway, would this increase in better power be due to the secondary opening up fully now? i dont think before that it would open up all the way until a higher rpm. i'm thinking maybe because i replaced some vac lines it helped. i still sort of want to do the vac line removal. still kinda worried about emmisions crap when i'd get the inspection done.

A20A1
01-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I suggest you don't do the removal if you are worried about emissions or at least not any of the later stages of the removal, the extra richness could end up hurting your O2 sensor or cat... just replace the vacuum lines to keep the carb performing good.

HondaBoy
01-09-2005, 11:29 AM
i really got to drive it good last night. i thought it had good pick up before, now i'm impressed even more. i didnt think just rebuilding the carb would bring back this much performance. now, does the simple vac line removal really do much more than getting rid of some lines, or is it fairly noticeable? i've been noticeing that hardly anybody in the spot the car guys hang out with would comply with a exhaust gas emissions test anyway. hardly anybody is running cats. i was talking to some of the muscle car guys that i hang with and they said they can hook me up with an inspection if i need it. my friend also knows a guy who's garage will hook me up with an inspection, although i will of course have to comply with having a safe running car. i think what i mostly gained was some torque, its easier to spin up the wheels and have a traction problem with my 175 radial t/a's. maybe i will go back to the 195's on my prelude wheels soon, i've given them a break for a few months.

A20A1
01-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah just don't brag that you got an inspection to anyone... I know over here that a few guys got busted and sometimes the shops are closed down, or they remove the shops license to do inspections.

HondaBoy
01-09-2005, 02:44 PM
i'll keep that in mind not to tell everyone i know about the hook up inspection, if i do ever get one.