PDA

View Full Version : radiator hose goes BOOM whenit breaks!

HondaManDan
07-31-2002, 06:54 PM
ha.. yeah.. definately got home at 10:20pm July 31, 2002 and parked the car... as soon... AS SOON as i put it in P..(park) BOOM!!!... FZZZZZZZZZZZ.... then a loud ass PSHHHHHHHHH! noise and lemme tell you.. my neighborhood was full of steam....so i poped the hood.. got out... stared at it... yelled to my dad.. (im only 17 by the way)... and he was like FUCK... so yeah. looked uner the hood... and my radiator hose cracked wide open... it's brand new too. it was about 98deg. today and my engine was pretty cool... i dunno why it blew up... any reasons? does this happen often? lol
thanks

A20A1
07-31-2002, 07:43 PM
hmm don't trust the coolant temp guage on the dash... even more so if you are carbed.

there can be tonnes of build up araound the guage sensor and it will insulate the sensor giving you a cooler reading then the actual coolant temp.

the thermal switch is seperate from the temp guage on the dash. the thermal switch is screwed into the bottom of the radiator.
if this switch is faulty then the fan won't come on... if the fuse is busted the fan won't come on.

also another major thing to check is the thermostat... if it's stuck open you should replace it... if you haven't replaced it in a while then replace it.... It's really cheap.

hmm you should also just hook the fan up to a battery and see if the fan motor is still good.

oh and don't install the thermostat backwards.

and make sure you get 50/50 coolant water mixture.

HondaManDan
08-03-2002, 07:03 PM
well... turns out it wasnt my radiator hose... it was infact my heater hose... the feed heater hose... yeah both of the feed and return lines were stock...
here's what i did... tell me if i did good ok? lol

1. removed both return and feed heater hoses from the engine and the fire wall...
2. replaced the 3 hoses... one from the front of the engine to the heater valve... one between the heater valve and the firewall.. and the return line. (pain in the ass by the way)
3. removed radiator cap and drained my radiator... (what was left in it was brown)
4. flushed the system out with water.. filled up the radiator and let it run for a while... then shut it off and drained it again..
5. flushed out radiator alone (till clear)
6. put in between 50 and 60% AVT radiator fluid.... filled the rest with water...
7. ran it to normal operating temperature.
8. then added water to fill all the way.

ran it for a couple of days now and the car stays cool.... runs better too... no leakes in the hoses and the heater blows EXTREEMLY hot air.. but then again it's been in the 90's all week.. so yeah.. lemme know how i did. thanks.