PDA

View Full Version : How-To: Bumper Lense Running Lights

KoNEY
01-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Ok, I searched, and found no threads with any info on it here, and just did this write up for some guy over on AT for his 5G, and I have never seen it done on a 3G, but it should still work the same, anyways, here ya go...

1. Get some brake light sockets from any Accord/Civic (make sure they take an 1157 bulb, a two-way bulb, it has a dim filament and a bright filament, the dim side is what you see when you get beat in a street race, the bright side is what you see when whoever beat you hits his/her brakes) These sockets will have three(3) wires, two(2) positives, and one(1) groound.

2. remove your corner lights, leaving the socket ends plugged in. Turn on your headlight switch one click, and turn on the flashers. Now, one of the lights that cam out of the corners should be flashing, the other is just staying on. Use a test light and find the positive wire that goes to that running light. (Do this on both sides of car.)

3. Now once you have found the two positive wires, take a lighter and burn the insulation from about an inch of the wire. Get a length of wire about 15" long, and strip one end of it. Now, solder the stripped end of your 15" wire to the bare wire that you just burned the insulation off of. Cover tightly in some good electical tape, then rewrap it again to assure no problems; repeat for other side.

4. Remove bumper lights, pull bumper sockets out of bumper so you can have some extra wire to work with. Cut the sockets from the wires. Take your test light and ground to the car, now go turn flashers back on and see which wire causes the test light to flash, bingo, there's your positive. (Do this to both bumper lights.)

5. Now, take your new sockets, and insert an 1157 bulb into it. Two of the wires on each socket should have some sort of bright marking, or be bright in color, and the other should be all black, or have a black line on it. You guessed it, the two bright colors are positives, the other is a ground. So, wire the ground to your ground wire left from removing bumper sockets. With flashers on again, touch one of the positive wires to your bumper light positive wire, now try the other wire on the socket, ok, you should notice that both times, the bulb flashed, but one was brighter. Take the bright wire and wire it to your bumper lense positive wire. Now take that 15" piece of wire you installed earlier, strip the other end of it, and wire that to the low side of your new bumper socket. Repeat on other side.

6. Be sure to solder all connections and double wrap in electrical tape, or use some other type or crimp connection, either way, I alway like to double wrap the connections for safety.

*Simplified: Your are replacing your stock one-way bumper light socket with another two-way socket, and running an extra wire from your existing running lights to the extra wire on the new socket, just make sure that extra wire is the low side of the socket, not the high.

**Note: I had to modify my new sockets because they would not fit properly in the bumper lense. So I took my Dremel and trimmed one of the locks on each socket, and it fits like a glove.

If this has already been discussed, sorry for wasting your time. If anyone does this, please take some pics as you go along so they can be added to this how-to, and I will credit you for supplying pics; I took none when I did this to my 5G. Enjoy!