PDA

View Full Version : steering wobble

1987HondaAccord
01-04-2005, 06:57 PM
hey,

I had my lower and upper ball joints replaced about a month ago because the lower one came out and ripped out the axle on the passenger side. Now, when i drive on the freeway it seems to sort of wobble back and forth. At first it pulls a little to the right, then when i try to pull it to the left, it fells like its pulling to the left. It gets really annoying on the freeway, because i have to constantly correct the car, and it looks like i'm swerving back and forth in the lane. What's causing this problem?

thanks in advance.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-04-2005, 07:12 PM
This sounds like an alignment problem. Have the front end alignment checked and corrected. If the problem persists, check the steering rack. It may be worn and loose. Hope this is helpful.

1987HondaAccord
01-04-2005, 07:27 PM
it seemed like it was ok right after the ball joints were replaced, but it seems like its getting worse. does this information help any?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Based on your response it seems that you didn't get an alignment after the balljoints were replaced. Although on our cars replacing the balljoints doesn't alter the alignment (theoretically), it is still a good idea to check. Also, when you balljoint separated, it may have caused more damage than just a destroyed axle. Some suspension parts may have been damaged. From the sound of it, I would venture to guess that you may have a toe in/out problem.

1987HondaAccord
01-04-2005, 07:51 PM
could that be caused by a bad steering rack? or something getting messed up there?

AZmike
01-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Sounds like you have toe-out to me. It makes the car twitchy and requires a lot of attention to keep it going straight. Have you checked over the front suspension thoroughly to look for any other problems?

1987HondaAccord
01-04-2005, 11:59 PM
i haven't crawled under the car since i've been noticing the problem, no. what should i look for?

Oldblueaccord
01-05-2005, 01:09 AM
i haven't crawled under the car since i've been noticing the problem, no. what should i look for?

Also do a front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car till the tire is off the ground other side must be on the ground still.

2: grab the tire 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake back and forth slow at first. might needsome one to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit otta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints other links

4: this check might show ball joints a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop looseness while prying.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

wp

Blkblurr
01-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Sounds like you have an alignment issue. the reason it may be getting worse is your tire may be wearing due to the mis alignment. This will cause pulling to get worse as the tire gets worse.