PDA

View Full Version : Well.. It did run!!!

3gn86lxi
01-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, as you know I've been having problems with the Accord. Forgive the spelling....I may have had a few :alc: . Anyway, we thought we had it licked, but to no avail.....the problem persists.
K..here is a rundown, just didnt want to start. Things replaced: fuel filter, pressure is at 40. cap rotor, main relay(brand new one). map sensor. plugs........Alright when we replaced the plugs it ran! We found the coolant temp sensor was bad, reading like 40 degrees below 0, making it run rich, fouling the plugs. BUT when it ran it still had a slight stumble when revving. Replaced the sensor. K...then it wouldnt run AGAIN, unplugged the o2 sensor, it started and was o.k. but not right.
Drove it tonight.....died in an intersection and had to PUSH to a parking lot. It sat for a minuite, after trying to crank it, it fired and I got it home.

WTF.....
We now think that the ecu is f@cked, leaving the injector cercuit open flooding the cylinders, fouling the plugs over and over again.
I'm going to replace the plug wires also, but what do you think now????
Sorry bout the BOOK, I figured I'd try to explain everything! :alc:
And the ecu is not throwing any codes....the o2 sensor is unplugged, it should throw a code!!

HondaBoy
01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
if you have access to a junk yard, i'd say get an ECU out of a junked car. i can get an ECU for maybe $10 if not less, dont know if you have my luck with the junk yard. anyway, if you've changed out a lot of things, it may be a malfunctioning ECU.

AccordEpicenter
01-04-2005, 11:41 PM
are you throwing a cel?

BlueBead
01-05-2005, 01:16 AM
ECU!!! guess you've figured on that, but you should have codes all over the place. Good luck!

88Accord-DX
01-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Have you tried disconnecting the fuse to the ECU for 10 minutes or the battery to erase temporary memory? Maybe then it would throw a code.

*edit* 80% of all electrical problems is not the ECU, but other problems not found. Not that your ECU could be the problem. That O2 sensor not being plugged is not good for plugs or the ECU information processing. The ECU needs feedback from the 02 sensor to work with the injectors to perform the right fuel ratio. Why don't you go ahead and put the new 02 sensor in and see how it runs? Your dealing with an OBD I system. So hope that is some kind of insight.

maka_RTH
01-05-2005, 02:57 AM
if you do need an ecu, i have one out of an '86 lx-i hatch 5-spd. lemme know if you need it, and i hope you figure out the true problem and get it running again.

Blkblurr
01-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Did you replace the o2 sensors?

AccordEpicenter
01-05-2005, 10:04 AM
usually if the ECU is rotten then the check engine light will be on, and if you try to get the codes out of it, the light will just stay on and not blink. That usually indicates a fatal problem with the ecu.

3gn86lxi
01-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Well it sends no codes at all anymore, it should thow one for the o2 sensor being unplugged. I do have a new one that I was waiting to put in my header when I install that. I've e-mailed a few pepls bout a replacement euc, but havent heard anything back.
maka rth......what do you want for that ecu????
Let me know, and I'll buy it from you.

AccordEpicenter
01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
hold on... Rarely will these cars throw a code right away for an o2 sensor. In my car ive had them both unplugged (turbo) and uninstalled and only after driving 25+ miles does the car throw a code, and it never threw a code without the wideband o2 sensor, just the narrowband one (88-89 lxi/sei has 2 o2 sensors). Even if the temp sensor was way bad, and both o2 sensors were shitty, i sincerely doubt youd have it acting like youre saying. Are you sure youre map sensor is working right and your distributor isnt fuxord? If the map vac lines going to the mystery box are leaking or screwed up then the car will dump alot of fuel into the engine because it thinks your messing with the throttle, same thing with the Throttle position sensor. Both are easy to check with a multimeter.

Edit: Do you have a nice powerful spark or is it an orange weak spark? If its weak or strange you might need a coil or an ignitor. Also if you dont have the radio condenser right next to the coil hooked up or if its bad that can cause the car not to run right at all (electrical noise)... stupid things but they can prevent the car from running right, or at all in your case

3gn86lxi
01-05-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm going to put on my original coil, I have an Accel one on now. And it does seem to be alittle on the weak side. What does the radio condenser look like,I think its still hooked up??

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-05-2005, 07:46 PM
The radio condenser is right next to the coil and looks like a small rectangular box with two wires coming out of it.

AccordEpicenter
01-05-2005, 08:23 PM
i smoked an accel coil in literally about 2 days of driving (DESPISE THEM). IF its weak its probably either a coil or ignitor

Oldblueaccord
01-05-2005, 10:05 PM
i smoked an accel coil in literally about 2 days of driving (DESPISE THEM). IF its weak its probably either a coil or ignitor

Generally performance coil have much lower resistance than a stock coil. This really puts the strain on the distributor and in turn you maybe have burn it out . I think the MSD II is recommended for Honda stock applications. Wouldn't hurt to put the old one back one to try it and clean your plugs off (or change them again) and see if shell run.

wp

3gn86lxi
01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm going to try to do that tomorrow and see what happens. I lost the plugs when I cut them, so need to go to the bone yard for some!
Hope this will help!!
Oh, and I dont know if I posted, when it broke down I curbed one of my new wheels trying to get it off the road!! :uh:

AccordEpicenter
01-05-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah id try the stock coil and see wassup

88Accord-DX
01-05-2005, 11:11 PM
when it broke down I curbed one of my new wheels trying to get it off the road!! :uh:
Ouch, you just got them rims. How bad of road rash you got on the side? Maybe a chromer or some kind of rim shop can fix it. Watch them curbs w/ new rims! Hope the coil or ignitor works out.

3gn86lxi
01-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Ouch, you just got them rims. How bad of road rash you got on the side? Maybe a chromer or some kind of rim shop can fix it. Watch them curbs w/ new rims! Hope the coil or ignitor works out.
It's not real bad curb rash, that will make me paint them sooner! Funny, my car's not running.....and I just scored some Reactive 9mm spark plug wires on e-bay!!! WTF is wrong with me!!?
Didn't get to work on it today either :thumbdn: .Its been shitty and cold(supposed to snow). So anyway....by the weekend.

3gn86lxi
01-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Put my old original coil on today anr it runs great. No more stumble, smooth idle, back to normal. I almost feel like an idiot for not putting it back on sooner, but I never thought it would do that. And I got spark when I tested it!!!
Shitty Accel junk!!
Anyway.......just in time for snow too!!!!! :thumbup:

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2005, 04:52 PM
good work mang! When mine quit i was boosting 9lbs she just died

3gn86lxi
01-07-2005, 05:43 PM
good work mang! When mine quit i was boosting 9lbs she just died
Kinda weird that it would (intermittenly) work. I'm just glad it going, now I can put my header on! :tongue:
Hey accordepicenter, what are you running now? Stock or msd?

88Accord-DX
01-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Put my old original coil on today anr it runs great.
I'll drink to that :alc: ..... Cool beans..

AccordEpicenter
01-08-2005, 12:00 AM
stock coil... on stock gap plugs (gasp)

3gn86lxi
01-08-2005, 12:12 AM
stock coil... on stock gap plugs (gasp)
And your pushing 9lbs of boost!!!!! No fits from your ignition??
Nice.

AccordEpicenter
01-08-2005, 12:19 AM
none... ive hit 11 psi a few times too. It only sputtered when i retarded the timing too much

3gn86lxi
01-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Aaahhh...to boost! My neighbor has a turboed Mitsubichi someting....OLD school little hatch. Anyway, it's broke down, clutch I think, they cant afford to fix it, or their house. So they are selling it their house and the cars still sitting there. Water and power shut off and all. I was gonna try to get the car for cheap for the turbo, but right now I cant afford the rest of what I'd need :sad2:
Be cool though......mmmmm boost.

88Accord-DX
01-08-2005, 03:16 AM
right now I cant afford the rest of what I'd need :sad2:
Be cool though......mmmmm boost.
I can't afford my Tokico rear shocks (new) I need either to finish my "lowering project" with my car. I'm not doing it till I get the right stuff.