PDA

View Full Version : i need some info....

accordlxi2.0
01-05-2005, 04:18 PM
okay today it was cold out and snowing ALOT.
i noticed this morning when i went to start it was cranking slow.
she started up though.

and i noticed my wiper's move slow. and when i had my radio on the a/c on and park lights on, the sound would cut out at every bass note, plus the lights are dimmed and i opened my trunk while the engine was running and i seen how the trunk light was acting.....
i had a feeling that my car is running off of the alternator.

okay then what i did was disconnect the battery post and the engine was running in fact was running perfect...i conect the battery back and the idle went down.

the battery does'nt look new but..............
i have a feeling it's the battery ....is it true??

Moodybluesr
01-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Sounds like the battery was drained a bit and the charging system was trying to charge it back up. If the battery is old it may be time to replace it (they tend to show their age when it gets cold outside). I have an Optima yellow top in my Accord and an Optima red in my XT6 and they have no problems in the cold. My Prelude has a crappy old battery, however, and it acts alot like you are describing until it warms up. I dunno if you have the money to invest in an Optima, however.

accordlxi2.0
01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
man it's getting worse the damn car almost diedwhen i had my headlights on.
then i pulled up did the same test again and ...nothing it was fine.
and when i went to start it back up......
it was sounding like a dead battery.
i think the cold weather killed it.

and i feel as though i'm making it worse by running the car and it seem's the only thing that's keeping the lights on is the alternator, so i'm assuming i'm screwing up the alt too right??

HKSdrift3r
01-05-2005, 05:20 PM
yea def the battery, mine had a bad cell and the car wud idle all wierd and the none of the electrics worked. Put a different batt and everything worked well. Ur alternator shud be fine, jus replace the battery

accordlxi2.0
01-05-2005, 07:01 PM
man i really hope so....
i'm gonna be so pissed if it's the alt....well duh it's not if the engine stayed on and stuff.

accordlxi2.0
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
well that's sovled but i have another problem.
on the way home from my job the car was fine on the high way.
but when i got on the streets it felt like something was loose, then whenever i tokk of softly i would hear a clicking sound in a straight line????
but if i took off hard no vibration or clicking sound.

i thought well maybe i did'nt tighten them down enough...then i though well duh that's what a torque stick is for.
so that was'nt the problem i got out and my right side rim had black greasy shit on it and the axle bot has a split in it......
i'm so pissed right now.....

so this is an idication that the axle is fucked???

Blkblurr
01-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Sounds like you have a cracked cv joint cover on your axle and dirt has gotten in the joint and worn it to the point it needs replacing. This is not an expensive job if you do it yourself. It is a pain in the ass though. I paid $60 for rebuilt axles at Advance auto.

EricW
01-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Replacing the axel is not that hard, But then i did have air tools. :lol: But other wise the only hard part would be breaking the spindal nut loose. The lower ball joint wasn't bad just use a puller and then beat the lower arm with a hammer and it will come off in less than 5 min and use some PB blaster it will help.

accordlxi2.0
01-07-2005, 05:36 PM
actully the inner cv joint was rusted out and was only being held in place by the boot.
the outter boot was torn apart and had rust and grease mixed together

accordlxi2.0
01-08-2005, 08:38 PM
well i went to replace my battery terminals (the battery tested out good).
but i had the engine running and i turned on the radio (has a 700wattamp), hadmy trunk opened and a couple of doors opened, had my head lights on.
all of this without the battery hooked up.
now when i went to turn on my a/c the radio cut off and came back on and i was even able to turn it up.

the tach was moving around a bit.

then i went on ahead and put on the new terminals, and started it up.
she started up quick to....

but is my alt fine with the test i did???

IN_ONE_ACCORD
01-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Could be the alternator belt worn out...have the batt and alt tested and if they're ok,prolly the belt. Worst case would be water pump going out and locking up, causing
belt to lurch.

accordlxi2.0
01-19-2005, 02:56 PM
causing the belt to lock and lurch...hmm odd but could be true.
but trust me that belts on tight, whats loose is my p/s belt.

i belive it's the battery..because the sides of the battery has expanded also.
plsu it started to do it again..and even worse this time.
becase when ever the a/c cycled on the radio would go out abit and the tach would move around all crazy.

i already tested the alt...the ghetto way and autozone way they said it was fine...

BlueBead
01-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Dude.. that battery is on its last legs... you should replace it ASAP before it catches on fire and burns up your car. If the sides are bulging you might be looking at an exploding battery.. which is rare, but the acid would really fuck your engine compartment, not to mention the rest of the car if it catches on fire.
Your alt is in good shape, the tach lurch was from it increasing the load on the engine in response to you pulling so much current without the battery to back it up.
Just get a different battery before you start having to worry about whether you have fire protection insurance on the car.. I doubt any of us would want to see a 3G burn (except maybe our own...)
Good luck man

accordlxi2.0
01-19-2005, 06:25 PM
naw man i don't wanna see her burn either...
that REALLY REALLY bugs the shit outta of me now...
all this time the alt is doing the work .....and evrytime something goes wrong..i think when this guy (previous owner) tells me what was taking care of by HIM..
and here i was druged( medicine) in a long leg cast.....ummm

well i'm gonna get a new battery

accordlxi2.0
01-20-2005, 07:12 PM
well i replaced it everything seems fine or normal.
the cruise works better too?
the specs on it is 900cca@32*f , 700cca@0*f don't know if thats too much.

but i went to sit the old battery down a few inchs from the ground and the liquid spills out??

but thanks for the info guys

also does anyone know what the volt out put should be when the lights, a/c, ect..ect on??

thanks.