PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problem???? Cam?????

Nate2310
01-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey, I have installed a colt mild tri flow cam. I have an 88 lxi sedan 5 speed.

When I installed it my timing was 15 degrees off. So I installed an adjustable cam gear. I ended up advancing that about 7 degrees so my timing would be dead on. Everything runs fine except when the car is fully warmed up I have a bad idle problem. It stays at 1000 then drops to about 100 then goes back up, it just continues this at a stop or if in nuetral.

Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do to fix it?

Moodybluesr
01-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Ignition timing and valve timing are not the same thing. Your idle problem is probably coming from the fact that your ignition timing was off (adjusted with a timing gun by moving your didtributor) and you are trying to compensate for it with your valve timing (adjusted with your cam gear). Set the cam gear back to stock and then get a decent timing light and adjust your ignition timing.

Nate2310
01-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I had to advance the cam just to be able to get the dist at the right timing. I did use a timing light and the ignition timing is dead on. The car runs great except for when it warms up. Then the idle just goes from 1000 to 100 rpms and I have no idea why?

Can anyone think of nething?

Vinny
01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
You need to go back and make sure your timing belt as reinstalled the right way. I'm willing to bet that with the #1 piston at TDC the cam gear is not lined up.

Get the #1 piston at tdc, you will have to check through the inspection window between the block and tranny. It takes 2 people to get it right. One to turn the crank and 1 to check for the mark.

Set your cam gear back to 0 degrees and see if the 0 mark lines up with the stud for the valve cover.

If it doesnt then you need to loosen the tensioner for the belt, slide it off the gear, center the cam gear and reinstall the belt over it, then tighten the tensioner

Moodybluesr
01-06-2005, 01:30 PM
^
What he said. If the timing is that far off you messed up the timing belt. The crank and cam pulleys are now all out of whack; you are lucky you haven't bent any valves. NEVER compensate for ignition timing by adjusting valve timing or vise versa.

hondamanlxi
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
i didnt think you could bend valves in an a20 b/c its noninterferance?!