PDA

View Full Version : Problem from 2-4K RPM

danronian
01-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Just a few months ago my car only passed the yearly emissions test barely by extremely advancing the timing (I don't know how much since my mechanic kindly set it back to stock). Since the plug wires are only a few year old silicone units I figure they are still fine, I replaced the two year old autolites with Bosch Platinums, the coil is original, the distributer cap and rotor were very corroded so I cleaned them up with some very light sandpaper to remove the gobs of green on the contact points, the 02 sensors are also original I believe. Since the emissions test the car's performance has been dropping significantly. Now it is at a point where I have to keep it at 3.5K RPM and up just to not have the sputter near-powerless. This is basically the same way it acted when I bought it and when it had bad plugs and wires. I am guessing that the coil is fine and the 02 sensors and cap should be replaced (I think that when I sanded off the green I also sanded off some metal off of the contacts making it easier for the distributer to misfire).
Any suggestions? (what would me a good brand for a distributer cap and rotor (not honda)?, I can get a new KEM one for $12 but I don't want to buy it if this is a crappy brand)

Moodybluesr
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Get the Bosch plugs out of there and replace them with a set of NGK (or Denso). Cap and rotor should be by a decent manufacturer (why not Honda, too expensive?) If your plug wires are under warranty, switch them out anyway. If they are Autozone "Double Silicone" brand, those are probably what is causing your trouble; rip them out of there and get a decent set of NGK wires (or similar).
All of this stuff can be had from www.rockauto.com I would go with the YEC cap and rotor, NGK plugs, and NGK wires.

danronian
01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
I replaced the plug wires with 8mm pre-fitted Accel wires, installed an accel ss coil, and then those didn't fix it but replacing the fuel filter fixed my problem. Finally my accord is back to its normal self! This summer I'm gonna replace the 02 sensors so that should help even more but since the power-loss problem is fixed they can wait.

Moodybluesr
01-28-2005, 02:40 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/327000-327999/327304_36_full.jpg

That is one dead sexy black beast. Glad to hear she's running like she's supposed to again. :D

shepherd79
01-28-2005, 04:50 AM
well, fist of all, never say your coil is good. you don't know that. it may check out good, but when it comes to driving, well it may be not so good.
so here is what you should replace at this moment:
1. coil, get accel one or MSD or some other cheap brand. it would be better than your stock.
2. rip those cheap ass wires and get some NGK ones. they are not that much more.
3. get rid of those bosch plugs. I never heard anything good about them. get NGK plugs.
4. change the O2 sensor. it may look alright, but i bet it is not working right.
5. get some carb cleaner and spray it inside the TB. that will keep it nice and clean.
6. get a new distributor rotor and cap. get a good brand not something cheap.

and just remember, "you get what you pay for".

Moodybluesr
01-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Did you even read his second post?